Forums Latest Members

Is this 36mm Seamaster (2504.50) ok?

1. cnjackson Jan 28, 2021

Dear All,

I have started hunting for Seamaster 2504.50 or .80, and I found this listing. Does this one look ok--anything look off to you? And does it seem like a reasonable price?

Thanks so much for your help!

CJ

2. Hands90 Jan 28, 2021

Can't help to much myself so I'll leave this comment as a bump to the top.

Also, it's strange how Omega really segregates their sizes. For a company being known for have some many models there aren't too many watch models that have multiple sizes. I guess it comes down to the movements being designed for specific models.

cnjackson likes this.
  3. cnjackson Jan 28, 2021

Thank you for the bump, Hands90!

That's a good point! The current 38mm AT is a nice size, but there is something about those old 36mm Seamasters: they have a clean, more "classic" look that reminds me vintage Seamasters. :)

C

4. Allmand-Smith Jan 28, 2021

I've read some other threads about the seller and it seems pretty good. Just beware of small import charges, they sell on ebay too.

5. EauTerre Jan 28, 2021

Looks normal to me, in good condition. The price sounds about right (paid 2.500 € for my 39mm 2503).

The seller has good ratings and uses an escrow service, which is always a plus.

I'd say go for it :)

(Do budget for the import tax zo, as you may well receive a bill from the transporter afterwards - who'll collect it on behalf of the State).

6. mr_smith Jan 28, 2021

I'm not familiar with pricing on that reference, but I can comment +1 on the good seller reviews... in fact I got my 2254.50 from them, but went directly through their site (they had a coupon for new members, something like 5 or 10% off by going directly through them). The watch was expertly packed and arrived fast. I was prepared for import charges but there didn't wind up being any in my case (could vary case by case).

Edit: Sorry, meant to quote the OP.

thelinendial likes this.
  7. cnjackson Jan 29, 2021

Thank you all very much! I feel more reassured about this one. When I asked about accuracy, the seller couldn't say more than that all of their watches are within plus/minus 20 seconds/day. Since the watch is a chronometer (even if several years old), I would want better accuracy than that.

I'm also wondering if there are any ways to check the date of production on the watch?

Thanks so much--especially about the tip of going through their website!

CJ

8. EauTerre Jan 29, 2021

CJ, that the movement is COSC certified doesn't mean much when you buy a second hand watch that is a decade old.

If the watch had been regularly serviced before ending up at that retailer, then yes you may expect chronometer specs. But if that hadn't been the case, you should lower your expectations and budget for a servicing.

Again, that's speaking from hand-on experience acquiring my 2503. It's in dire need of a maintenance, losing at least 30 seconds per day.

But guess what : I've never thought of returning it - not even once !

DSC03025 - Copie.JPG

It's a first generation AT which came without papers, so given its pedigree (or lack thereof), I was always aware that I couldn't reasonably ask for guaranteed good specs. It's a shortcoming, yes, but one that can be fixed... whenever. I keep enjoying to wear a watch that really spoke to me, and which I acquired through a fair deal.

So my advice to you is that you shouldn't be hung up on timekeeping performance - as long as that model sings to you and can be had in a good condition and at a reasonable price :thumbsup:

9. cnjackson Jan 30, 2021

Hi EauTerre! That makes perfect sense about the COSC certification: I wasn't thinking. And you're right--I can get the watch serviced and back up to snuff.

Your Seamaster is absolutely beautiful! I understand why you chose it. As I think I wrote above, while I love the current model ATs, these older ones have a very classic feel that appeals to me. I also like the 36mm size.

I'm feeling close to taking the leap. My only hesitation at the moment is probably paranoia: are the lines of the case still sharp? How sharp were they when new? i.e., has the watch been (over)polished? It looks good to me, though, but I'm trying to look into it.

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

C

10. EauTerre Jan 30, 2021

Cheers CJ. The newer ATs are fitted with a better movement, but the other features feel like a regression to me : a case that is larger and thicker, a dial that is less balanced and less legible.

As for your final hesitations, indeed it's difficult to judge sharpness/scratches from the pictures.
    This pitfall is part of buying second hand items online, so at some point you'll have to take the plunge.

But don't forget that you have a safety net of sorts : https://www.chrono24.com/info/faqs.htm#buy-watch-7
    (I haven't used this service myself and can't vouch for its quality, but at least it's on offer).

And if I can hasard a guess, polishing works doesn't seem commonly evoked when discussing with ATs. Most of the discussion around polishing I've read were related to Rolex watches, popular Omega models (e.g. Speedmaster) or vintage ones.
    If your example has never been sent to the watchmaker for a servicing, the chances that it's ever been polished should be close to zero.

In any case, keep us updated on your journey :thumbsup:

11. cnjackson Feb 1, 2021

Thanks again, EauTerre,

I was ready to pull the trigger today, but sadly, someone beat me to the punch. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Darn.

I'll have to hope that another one becomes available soon. I'll keep my eye out.

But thank you for your help in navigating all of this. I'll move more quickly next time.

CJ