Forums Latest Members
  1. speedbird11 Nov 7, 2017

This appears to be an original 2639-1 cal 265 though the dial may have been refinished and the hands do not seem original. What do you all think? Thanks!

2169_1.jpg 2169_2.jpg 2169_3.jpg 2169_4.jpg 2169_5.jpg 2169_6.jpg
  2. Speedy_Gonzales Nov 7, 2017

Hands definitely seem out of place.

3. MikeMan2727 Nov 7, 2017

Agree on the hands. Also, this looks completely different than my 2639-1 which has a Cal 267.

20171107_220138.jpg

4. Bumper Nov 8, 2017

Benbradstock and DaveK like this.
  5. bubba48 Nov 8, 2017

My 2639-5

omega 2639 51 (3).JPG

coffeetime and jacksonking like this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 8, 2017

7. ConElPueblo Nov 8, 2017

Wrong crown too, for what it's worth.

8. heavenscloud Nov 12, 2017

This watch is in rough shape. Terrible redial, corroded, relumed hands, and the "movement of many colors" phenomenon.

Benbradstock likes this.
  9. marturx Nov 12, 2017

Nej!

10. Skogh Jun 10, 2019

What's a Kyle Special? The bottom one looks exactly like mine! Is it original or not? The hour markers seems a little bit off compared to other watches, but that one on that picture is one of few, if not the only other than mine that looks like that.

Almost two years later I know.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 10, 2019

A "Kyle Special" is a reference to the style of dials that our member @kyle L is very fond of.

That is, a dial with patina, but not just any old crud, it has to be even, of a pleasing honey amber hue, and preferably with a balanced or symmetrical pattern of patina covering the dial.

Benbradstock and Bumper like this.
  12. Skogh Jun 10, 2019

Ok I see. But what about the hour markers? A lot of people claimed that mine is not original and I searched around Google for hours. Then I found that one that looks almost exactly like mine. Especially the hour markers that I haven't seen anywhere before.

Do you know if it's original then?

Mine, zoomed in on the markers:

Screenshot_20190609_054703_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
  13. Skogh Jun 10, 2019

If it's not original then that must be the same watch :thumbsdown:

Benbradstock likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 10, 2019

To my eyes, and based on the quality of the pictures you've supplied, I think it's an early re-dial, but the dial came from another model where the movement dimensions were OK for the dial, but the case dimensions were not.

Why do I think it's a re-dial?

The minute markers are not aligned on a perfectly circular track, but seem to be on a straight line between major markers. As well, the "SWISS MADE" looks a bit flat/level, but that could be due to crystal distortion.

The major 5 minutes indexes seem to be radium filled so this also makes me think it's a very early re-dial.

Re-dialling was often done in the 20th century when a watch was serviced so that the owner got a "sparkly new dial". This was of course, before us watch nerds started insisting on ABSOLUTE ORIGINALITY or the watch is shit.

There are many watches with re-painted/ re-inked dials that looks quite nice, but they do not meet the strict requirements of serious collectors.

Regarding your health and your future.

You have an Omega watch, all parts were made by Omega and the caliber is correct for the reference so enjoy it for what it is, it's still a nice vintage Omega for daily use.

I wish you all the best for the future, and even if it is short, make the most of it with family and friends.

Cheers'

Jim

PS: However.......if you are a troll (and I sincerely hope you're not), but if you are, I will wish upon you all the nasty little cells that are currently multiplying in my body. You're welcome to them.

Benbradstock likes this.
  15. Skogh Jun 10, 2019

I'm so confused now it's crazy. In my "redial?" thread a lot of people wrote that it was not a redial but a lot of them wrote that the hour markers lume looks weird. A watchmaker guarantees that everything except the glass (he didn't say anything about the crown but that's obviously not omega) is original.

I'm getting crazy over here. So weird. Where did you find the picture you posted? That has to be my watch if it's not original hour markers.

Why would I be trolling? And about what? I'm getting panic by all of this. Started out as a simple question if it was redial or not and now I'm getting all kind of answers about other stuff.' Im guessing you're talking about cancer? I don't get what you mean by that? That sucks to read, stay strong and keep fighting! I don't have cancer if that's what you thought? Maybe because I wrote in the other thread that I'm sick? It's true that I'm very sick, not from cancer tough. But please leave that out of the discussion, I'm wondering about the watch, don't wanna talk about my illness.

16. Skogh Jun 10, 2019

It feels like I'm being trolled by a lot of people. Just wanted to know one thing and then people write about other things and their opinions are entirely different, some say "it's not a redial" som say it is etc etc. Then a watch that looks almost spot on like mine shows up when I Googled "Omega 2639-5" (because of Bubbas post) Because another watch that looked slightly like mine had that on the case back but mine has 2639-3 and in that thread is a post with a watch that looks like mine. Where did you find that picture?

This is so weird.

17. jimmyd13 Jun 10, 2019

Firstly, to quote Douglas Adams (in nice freindly letters): DON'T PANIC!

Instead, understand this: you are talking to watch nerds. We're not the normal people you would meet in a bar on a Friday night (although we do frequent bars on many nights). We're not the sort of people you apologise to while standing uncomfortably close at the Sainsburys' self checkout. We don't bring our own bags and, instead, choose to look directly at a cashier while asking for another, new, plastic one. Secretly, we hope she'll look at our wrist and say "nice watch".

(Can you tell it's pouring with rain outside and I'm bored?)

No. Understand that there are two types of acceptable watch here: the one that is perfect. Original. With the price tag still attached from 1938. In its box. That's inside the original packaging. And covered in period correct dust. Not that modern dust you get. I'm talking the real, pre-war, dust.

The other type of watch that's acceptable is the one that shows a life of use. We will argue that the dial isn't damaged; it has patinated perfectly. The chips in the case aren't detrimental; they show the "story of the watch". The scratches, green lume, rust marked hands ... they're the piece's history.

Anything else is overpriced. Garbage. Undeserving of the logo that someone outside of the factory has re-painted on the dial.

You should be thankful that you're not a watch nerd. You see, all you have to consider is whether or not you like the watch. Whether or not it is mechanically sound; and, whether or not you're comfortable with the asking price.

So, to address your concerns as to originality: no ... it's not as it left the factory. Now, consider the seller. Is he saying that it is all original and works perfectly? If he is, run! He's woefully ignorant of the first part of that statement or lying and that means he can't be trusted about the second part of the line. On the other hand, if he's saying that the watch is what it is. That the watch has replacement parts. That the watch is sold as it is, warts and all, but that it has been serviced and carries a warranty ... then, if you like it, buy it.

Observer and jeppehh like this.
  18. Skogh Jun 10, 2019

Haha.

But the logo isn't applied on my watch? I hope atleast. This is what's so confusing. You're the only one that has said for sure that the dial has been redial=painted. A lot of other people has said that it's not a redial. But the markers are not legit in most eyes. So if it's original movement, NOT redial but with other markers/hands it's garbage? Nothing inbetween?

I am actually a watch nerd. Watch videos and write/read about it everyday etc. But got in to Vintage recently, I know a lot about newer watches but not much about anything made say before 1975 or something. I might sound a bit not in the know also because English isn't my first language.

I already bought it. The watchmaker did not sell it to me, bought it on another forum.

I'm still wondering where that picture is from?
    I see 3 options.

1. It's my watch but before I owned it.
    2. Someone has made almost the exactly identical watch with aftermarket parts a minimum two times (mine and the one on the picture you posted)
    3. You're totally wrong and it's original. I don't belive you're totally wrong, but I can't rule it out.

Edited Jun 10, 2019
  19. Bumper Jun 10, 2019

@Skogh

Does your dial have the circles in the sub-dial?
    DSC03454.JPG

Is there lume in the hands or does it look like black paint/onyx?
    DSC03456.JPG

Also, do you have a larger pic of the "Omega" script? Sorry, my eyes aren't what they used to be, i can't tell from your pics.
    DSC03455.JPG

upload_2019-6-10_19-0-18.png upload_2019-6-10_19-22-6.png
    heavenscloud likes this.
  20. Skogh Jun 10, 2019

I'm sorry for writing in the wrong thread.

This watch looks almost exactly like mine, might be mine. Same hour markers. The weird thing is the patina (the ad is from 2018) the one on this picture looks more even etc. can it been so much different in patina over just one year?

Another weird thing is that the back case for this one says 6329-7 while mine says 6329-3. Sure it could've switched back case but still.

That and possibly a third watch makes this story into a thriller.

D7F0B223-756C-4685-9FE3-64561411BF89.jpeg