Forums Latest Members

Is there a such thing as the Aqua Terra 2503.33 in quartz version?

1. jamesltpz Apr 25, 2015

Hi all,

Recently I've been looking into buying an omega quartz watch.
    However, none of the designs I've seen so far have really wowed me.
    I really like the design of the 2503.33 version with the blue hands but I do not wish to spend so much to buy the automatic version. Is there a quartz version?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

Interestingly I think you may be right in that the quartz isn't available in the white dial blue hands version, I've certainly never seen one at least. Are you hard set in not getting an automatic or is it strictly a matter of price?

3. ulackfocus Apr 25, 2015

Blasphemy! :eek: You think you'll get away with buying a battery powered watch, and you might for a few years...... and then......

Papa Legba and PatrickJ like this.
  4. jamesltpz Apr 25, 2015

It's mostly because of price. I mostly just like the reputation behind Omega and to be quite honest, the sweeping motion of an automatic doesn't justify spending almost spending double of a standard ticking quartz.

So far it looks like I might just be settling on the newer omega teak dial quartz ref # 23110396006001Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network for around $1700

5. jamesltpz Apr 25, 2015

haha. to be quite honest I know I will be ok with a battery one because I don't wear a watch daily and having to re-adjust the time every single time I decide to wear it has proven to be too annoying. Hence why I am selling my current automatic ones

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

The automatics are a better long term investment and if you buy used and decide to sell it at some point you'll do much better getting your money back. You can also get automatic vintage Omegas for a lot less than $1700 including some pretty cool ones with excellent movements.

7. jamesltpz Apr 25, 2015

I know I will lose a couple hundred if I try to re-sell the quartz, is an auto that much of a difference in depreciation?
    Realistically, I won't be looking to sell whatever next big purchase watch I get. I generally am not too picky of whatever I choose and I know flipping will only lose me more money.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 26, 2015

One thing no one has mentioned is that servicing for the quartz will be less frequent (for the movement anyway) and will cost less. In fact it's often cheaper to put a new movement in rather than service it...this may help offset some of the drop in value over the time you own the watch.

No matter what arguments are made by others, the watch has to suit your needs and lifestyle, and if that means quartz, then get quartz.

Cheers, Al

Matty01, Nobel Prize and Prange like this.
  9. Prange Apr 26, 2015

That's why I got rid of my triple date.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 26, 2015

A few of my beaters are Quartz and makes it so easy to pick one after days or weeks without wearing it to throw it on at 4 in the morning and get going.

11. PatrickJ Apr 26, 2015

If you want quartz buy Casio or Seiko as everyday or beater. Omega quartz is like owning a Ferrari with a Ford engine. But of course it is all subjective. As long as you do your homework.

12. jamesltpz Apr 27, 2015

great input, thanks for that. definitely another point that backs my initial reaction to buy a quartz

13. jamesltpz Apr 27, 2015

i have done research and that seems to be the consensus. unfortunately i am going for a high-end look because my job demands it (investment banking). my colleagues have watches that are leagues above omega and im ok with not being at their level, but i do now realize that i need one with some brand recognition so i dont get snuffed and looked down upon. it's unfortunate but its the nature of the environment here.

14. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 27, 2015

I've never read such a load of bollocks on a watch forum before.

Edited Apr 27, 2015
    Nobel Prize, ChrisN, STANDY and 2 others like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2015

In that instance I'd be even more inclined to go for something vintage in the same price range, you get an automatic and a fairly high grade one, as back in the 1950s/1960s Omegas were a higher end watch than Rolex at the time. A really nice Constellation piepan or something would look interesting and extremely respectable compared to just about anything you'll come across at work. The one below is in the same price range as the quartz AT you're looking at but is a very serious watch by comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Matty01 likes this.
  16. PatrickJ Apr 27, 2015

If Omega had stayed away from Quartz they may of remained independent like Rolex and JLC rather than relyng on the mercy of a bank merger. The winners of quartz have been Seiko and Citizen that mass produced this simple technology for the practical daily wearer. But I can make this statement without the need for foul language.

Edited Apr 27, 2015
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2015

But Rolex and JLC didn't stay away from Quartz either, they both fully embraced it

STANDY and Northernman like this.
  18. PatrickJ Apr 27, 2015

They embraced it with caution and not to the detrement of their mechanical models.The Oyster quartz did not overshadow what they were famous for in the first place.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 28, 2015

Awarded post of the week .:thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 28, 2015

Obviously never seen some of the posts at "that other place" then. ;)

And please desist with the fowl language.

<Foul language, foul language? Better not get me started then......................>

And on a constructive note for the OP's benefit. If the quartz watch suits your budget and meets your requirements in looks, functionality and wearability then I see no problem with it. And if anybody snubs you because they noticed the second hand ticking in 1 second increments instead of 1/5th of a second, tell them they've got bad breath.

TNTwatch and dsio like this.