Forums Latest Members

Is there a downside to Polywatch?

1. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 19, 2016

Or is the stuff just amazing?

Over time does it re-fog badly or is it a more or less permanent fix? Assuming say the crystal isn't exposed to more abuse, of course....

Weekday polywatc_011916 1226.jpg Weekday polywatc_011916 1231.jpg

Kreindog24 likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 19, 2016

Just liquid sandpaper. Sands down the scratches that make it look foggy.
    Have to watch bezel and edges of the watch but..

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 19, 2016

What Polywatch (or any other similar product) does is to use a super-fine grit to create enough friction to allow a tiny amount of plastic to melt into the scratches and fill them in.

Sometimes you will notice that the crystal will look better 24-48 hours after treatment, than immediately after application. That's because you've given the fresh melted plastic a chance to harden.

Usually I use masking tape around the bezel and edges to protect them. This is very important for gold-plated or filled watches as the chemicals tend to get underneath the plating and react with the base metal of the case.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 19, 2016

Thanks for that!

5. wsfarrell Jan 19, 2016

Polywatch is good. For deep scratches, Crystal Bright on a buffing wheel is necessary. For shallow scratches and haze, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover is just as good and vastly cheaper: Polywatch works out to about $210/ounce vs. $1/ounce for Meguiar's. Yes, 8 ounces of Meguiar's is more than you'll need for a lifetime of watches---but it will also make your car look beautiful for those wrist shots while you're driving.

George.A and oddboy like this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 19, 2016

Novus polish you can get at the hardware store (US anyways) does a great job as well.

Tom

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 19, 2016

Not necessary at all actually - I do all acrylic crystal refinishing by hand...

8. wsfarrell Jan 19, 2016

What do you use for deep scratches?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 19, 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As with all polishing, move through grits from coarse to fine, making sure that you remove all of the previous marks before moving on, and finished with Polywatch. Please excuse the dust...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not necessary to use a buffing wheel at all...

mosqvich, BenBagbag, mjomega and 4 others like this.
  10. wsfarrell Jan 19, 2016

Got it. I still prefer Crystal Bright, which requires a buffer because (as far as I know) it only comes in a hard cake format.

11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 19, 2016

i just use a generic "polycarbonate headlight polisher" from pep boys or so - I had sitting around in the garage ... works just as fine ... never had a scratch that I couldnt get rid of

donno ... probably 2-3 bucks the bottle :thumbsup:

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 23, 2016

How does toothpaste compare to polywatch? Is it somewhat coarser if there are deeper scratches?

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 23, 2016

Some toothpastes might work. We used to use Gleem over here when I was a kid. Don't know if Gleem is still sold. It was pretty abrasive. Such a toothpaste might be harsh on a watch crystal. I haven't encountered any similarly abrasive toothpastes in some years.

I've also used the Mother's brand of polycarbonate headlight lens polisher [ http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07251.html#&slider1=2 ] with great success as well as EZ Disc CD Skip Fixer [ http://ezcdskipfixer.com/ ]. I even imagined that especially good results were had by using the Mother's product first followed by the CD skip fixer. Whether the CD skip fixer is really finer than the Mother's or not isn't known but the combination seemed to work well for me.