Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2014

Respectable Members

Kindly advise whether the dial of this watch is factory-original or refinished.

I find it difficult to swallow what the seller claims, 'DIAL ORIGINAL FATORY BEAUTIFUL TEXTURE LINEN 18K ROSE GOLD DIAL (NEVER REDONE)'

(A friend is keen, provided this watch is totally factory-original, especially its dial.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271387384282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thank-you.

ABC.JPG
  2. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 30, 2014

Hi seamonster-
    I don't know the "C" case watches,
    so don't have the answer to your question (I'm sure
    someone will) , but-
    I have followed this sellers watches and he usually
    seems to list in description if the dial is
    refinished.
    Did you notice the "OM" "OM" on the sides of the SWISS MADE?
    Means SOLID GOLD (" Or massif" (solid gold in French).
    Don't see that everyday.

3. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2014

My Spider Sense is tingling. Something isn't right about that watch but I can't put my finger on it.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2014

Respectable Member pitpro

I notice this and thank you, 'Did you notice the "OM" "OM" on the sides of the SWISS MADE?' Unfortunately it is not centred.

Though the dial of the watch is solid gold, could the 'OM' be add-on?

Thank-you.

5. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 30, 2014

You should ask ulackfocus about the centering.
    Apparently, on some older dials, the SWISS MADE
    was centered to the dial and not to the 6 marker.
    He will give you a better answer

6. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2014

Respectable Member ulackfocus

I think so, too. Your sensor is seldom wrong.

Thank you.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 30, 2014

Respectible Member Seamonster -

There was a similar watch discussed extensively on this very forum about 2 years ago. When I ran my Google search for Ref. 168.0008, it popped up:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-constellation-c-case-rare-or-franken.305/

At the time, we weren't sure about that watch either. Even Desmond was stumped.

I was able to confirm that such a reference existed in the case parts records at Jules Borel.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=OME CS#168.0008

However, it is not listed in the Omega Vintage Database.

Omega made linen dials for the "C" cased watches, that is clear. The Swiss hallmarks on the dial and case look correct for 18K gold to my eyes.

Where I'm having a problem is on the dial and hands. First, it looks like there is a gap in the 12 o'clock marker where there may have been an onyx or painted insert. Second, silver dial markers, even on pink gold, just look strange to me. The whole color of the dial photographs look off, almost like someone enhanced the pink tone to make the watch look more pink than it is in reality.

Hand style matches that of the other 168.0008. Crown is a replacement for sure.

My gut tells me that this could very well be a redial, but that it is a legit 18K dial and case.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 30, 2014

Respectable Member Seamonster.

We have a extremely knowledgeable member mondodec who has written up an essay on the dials.
    http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Constellation_Dials_Part_2.pdf should cover this variant. See the print on the dial on page 9. Not a solid gold one, however I tend to think the dial looks legit, but then the grinding marks on the dial backside makes me skeptical again.
    I do not know if 18K dials are made using different techniques than "ordinary" ones, but I have learned that such marks are not a good sign.

The question still remains on the reference number 168.008. You had a post back in January of 2012 with question related to the same number. Did you uncover any details around it? The case back on the older post looks to be identical to this one?

The best of luck in your quest!

9. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2014

My problem is why have a printed linen pattern on a solid gold dial? Doesn't make sense.

10. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2014

Respectable Member gatorcpa

Like you I believe, there is a chance it is a redial. The word 'Constellation' appears bold relative to 'AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED'.

I do not know how to blow up or magnify the picture of the dial to check whether the letters in 'AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED/Constellation' are consistent. If I have this watch in person, I can always use a loupe/magnifier to verify this.

Thank-you.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 30, 2014

Does this help?

[​IMG]

In this picture, it looks like the dial markers and hands are yellow, not pink.

You really need to examine this one in person, Respectable Member Seamonster.
    gatorcpa

12. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2014

Respectable Member Northernman

The seller of that watch, in my post of January 2012, confirmed the dial of his watch is refinished, while everything else is factory-original.

To me and probably many others too believe, the beauty of any vintage-watch lies in its factory-original dial. If it is in top condition it is a bonus. Aged is perfectly OK. Once it has been redone or refinished, one has to think twice about owning it. I will not recommend such a watch to a friend.

Thank you.

13. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2014

It helps a lot and thank you.

In 'AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED', the common letters do not appear to be consistent - especially the letters 'A', 'C' and 'F', amongst others.

I agree, this watch has to be inspected in person.

Thank you.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 30, 2014

That could be because even on original dials, the print is applied over the guilloche, so the surface is not smooth.

I would need to compare this to a known original to be comfortable. Maybe Dennis has a similar shot of a "C" case dial in his archives.
    gatorcpa

15. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2014

How's this?

[​IMG]

seamonster likes this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 30, 2014

Font certainly looks consistent on both dials.

I'm stumped on this one.
    gatorcpa

17. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2014

I am still skeptical but you may be right, since my exposure is rather limited.

Thank you.

18. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 30, 2014

Respectable Member ulackfocus

This is a very clean watch, to my eyes. There is no question to ask.

Thank you.

19. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2014

I thought the first and second n in Constellation should be different on the date only dials from the 60's. The second one curls under more, as it does on my dial. The watch in question has two identical n's which is a common mistake by redialers. I also don't like the ink being so flat on the watch we're discussing. Look at the reflection coming off the ink on my old specimen - it has depth, even the minute / second track marks. The OM SWISS MADE OM looks weird to me too, then add the linen pattern on a gold dial being way strange.

All in all, I'd pass on that watch.

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 30, 2014

Linen pattern on solid gold dial is not that uncommon for the c-case connies. Here's my one and only c-case connie:

[​IMG]

ron n, Noisy Nova, lando and 2 others like this.