Forums Latest Members

Are Cards/Boxes worth the premium on used Omegas?

1. tyrantlizardrex Jan 1, 2016

Currently looking at some used pieces from the mid-late 1990s... some in boxes with papers, some just watch alone.

In some cases, the sellers are adding a £300-£500 premium to a watch that's a complete set... or taken from the other perspective, you can save £300-£500 by buying without the full set.

Interested to hear the general consensus on whether a full set is worth the extra?

2. Kim Jan 1, 2016

Since I also collect other stuff where packaging and stuff counts (and pays), I think that it depends on what I'm planning to do.
    Am I (just) going to wear the watch 'til the end of my/or the watches's life, with no other purpose? Imho, if one answer this question with yes, I might do without papers and so on.
    If I think of it as an investment, heritage, nerdy collector, or resell it for whatever reason, for just one second, I'll probably want everything that goes with the watch itself.
    Personnally, I'm rather into the whole package thing, unless it's sth I really, really want, but can't get with package.
    The watch itself still remains a little beautiful mechanical miracle, also without the entire package.
    Still, 300-500 £ IS a lot money for paperwork... .
    After writing this I'm more confused over this than before :rolleyes:

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 1, 2016

Boxes and blank "papers" are available in many locations online. Experienced sellers, and especially dealers, will package the watch to promote the highest price. Unless the papers are absolutely original to the watch, i.e. dealer stamps warranty cards, they are of little value to me. An Omega extract will of course add value however I've read that, up until a few years ago, these extracts were simply reprints of the owner supplied information. Others have written here that papers are not expected of a vintage watch. Conversely, A 4 years old FOIS should have all accessories intact or the price would be lowered accordingly.

That being said, a vintage correct "Full Setup" is rather nice and hard to find. I was fortunate to land this Ed White a year ago.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

This 145.022-69 Meister Speedie came with an Omega Meister box. Is it original? Probably not as I believe this box was used for smaller watches. It does photograph well however. The premium to pay for a full setup is subjective as each deal is unique. Remember to judge the watch first and foremost regardless of papers and boxes. Good hunting!

image.jpeg

4. tyrantlizardrex Jan 1, 2016

Thanks guys.

My 2016 hunt starts with a pair of Speedmaster date's - Japanese market editions with the guilloche dial.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

There are more of these without boxes/papers than with, and a lot of those with boxes are incorrect for the age of the watch, and a lot of the papers/cards are just blank.

For these watches, I'm leaning towards either:

A full set that looks 100% legit (dealer stamps, correct boxes etc)

Or

An honest watch at the right price.

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jan 1, 2016

When it comes to the more modern Omega watches, the pictogram card shows not only the type of box, #3 etc., but also the operating instructions edition. Even buying from the Omega boutique I have received wrong boxes.

6. saturn1981 Jan 1, 2016

Its a must. Watches without the Boxes and booklets relized a higher price. Especially higher value watches.
    So keep accessories safe

7. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 1, 2016

Some go by the rule of - No box, no papers = No Purchase.

Obviously older pieces from the 60's+ will generally not have box and papers but you do find some out there, these fetch a nice little premium and for me its like a little bonus knowing that the watch has been looked after in a way.

The LE pieces - some like box and cards etc as it completes the set and can fetch a little more in terms of resale value, some people are not bothered at all.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 1, 2016

All else being equal, I don't care about box or papers and would rather have a lower price.

Archer and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Jan 1, 2016

I think that's where I'm at now.

A generic Omega red box from the 1990s, and two plastic cards, one being for a long expired warranty aren't worth paying an extra £500 for.

Condition being much more important.

cfw likes this.
  10. cfw Jan 1, 2016

It depends on which model. On a limited edition and rare watches yes it counts but on run if the mill watches no.

11. Josh36912 Jan 1, 2016

I see where you're coming from, when you lay it out like that it's not worth the £500 premium.

However I do enjoy the fact that if the accessories, booklets, cards and box have all been looked after and stayed with the watch it just adds a bit more 'va va voom' to your watch. Buying a watch that arrives with box and papers does satisfy me more than when they come wrapped in bubble wrap [emoji58].

Does completely depend on the watch and reason for buying though too.

12. tyrantlizardrex Jan 1, 2016

Oh it's lovely to get a full set for sure... I'm the original owner of my Moonwatch, which I've had for nearly 15 years now... and there's something nice about the full double box set, with the cards, manual, etc.

As a buyer though... if we were talking £50-£100 extra on what are in this case not LE, not all that rare, and widely sold in the Japanese market, I'd do it... but £500? Meh.

I think a service record from a reputable watchmaker, would have me paying a higher premium than original box/papers.

13. rwilner Jan 2, 2016

I, personally, will only buy a watch with a full set.

This is not because I care about the set. I actually don't care. You don't wear the box. It's because I tend to buy and sell frequently, and lots of people DO care about the set...so if you don't have it, you either sit on it for a long time, or take a bath.

That's my experience. Ymmv of course.