Forums Latest Members

Is something wrong with this Breitling?

1. FrPaul69 Sep 14, 2016

Hi everyone,

This watch popped in my suggestions list today, although i like the smaller wear vintage watches provide, i am curious to add a bigger size (38mm+) to the collection.

Can anyone tell me if there's anything wrong with this oversized breitling? Im not too familiar with the brand. the seller says everything is original and the dial has not been repainted, the logo looks fine but the paint does look a bit thick to me..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222244964657Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thank you!

Edited Sep 14, 2016
  2. Canuck Sep 14, 2016

That is $325.00 (US) for a bog stock FHF 72 caliber movement? That's an awful lot to pay just because it has Breitling on the dial! Gotta want one awful bad at that price! A very ordinary watch for far too much money, in my view! I'm showing a bias as I really don't like Breitling, anyway. But go with your gut.

FrPaul69 likes this.
  3. Canuck Sep 14, 2016

Begging your pardon. It's a bog stock ETA 1080. But still!

FrPaul69 likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 14, 2016

Cheap watch chrome plated.

FrPaul69 likes this.
  5. FrPaul69 Sep 14, 2016

Yes something didn't feel right, hence my question on this forum. Thanks for your reply!

6. redpcar Sep 14, 2016

I like the Breitlings from '60s. I have a couple 35mm "plain janes". Paint sticks to the dial equally well.:( Mine have no Breitling stamp on the case either which makes me uneasy. $350 BIN is pretty steep. But that is what he is asking. If you like it, shoot the seller a price that you would pay. Not sure if the hands are original. 38mm is huge for the era.

7. FrPaul69 Sep 14, 2016

Yeah I was thinking of shooting the seller a message, i doubt that he's had tons of offers.. if he's ready to dial the price down I'll consider it but 350 is out of the question.

I do like the look of it, and its more a watch I'd wear at work or occasions where i want a bigger dial on my wrist than add to a collection. I may be naive here but what makes you say the hands may not be originals? I know the pictures arent great but they look genuine to me..

I really dont like the chrome plating though but it looks like that collection of oversized breitling geneve all come in chrome. And yeah 38mm is huge for that period, thats what keeps me interested, other vintages usually max at 34/35mm. Anyways, will see what the seller can accept. Thanks guys!!