Is my seamaster misplaced?

Bought this the other day as it looked like it would clean up nicely and seemed like a nice clean dial under there.
0C968A1D-CF11-4DA3-8445-24129EDBC5D4.jpeg 7E0E2914-1454-4443-9508-5D1440CB47B1.jpeg
got it cleaned up a little and the OF voice in my head started to whisper.
“Is that seamaster logo straight?”
“Is this dial legit?”
8E12FABE-FAB1-4B7C-9B74-F01BB06BC668.jpeg 1C7048FC-C0F4-4DDB-AB66-7E7C1FD8E8CA.jpeg D97EC218-B4CB-41A2-9640-4EFA0536A7BB.jpeg
thought I’d ask the experts.

legit?
Or
Not legit?

Based on those photos I say it's legit. Dial may have been re-done, but can't confirm.

What are the numbers inside the caseback?

PS: Should be 135.041. If "Seamaster" has been added to the dial, it can be checked by comparing the location of the two words to other confirmed examples.

Based on those photos I say it's legit. Dial may have been re-done, but can't confirm.

What are the numbers inside the caseback?

PS: Should be 135.041. If "Seamaster" has been added to the dial, it can be checked by comparing the location of the two words to other confirmed examples.
It is a 135.041
Omega archive shows it under the 135.0041 with a generic black outline

I have found a few examples that Don’t have seamaster. None that Do.😵‍💫

my search was by no means exhaustive. Happy (prefer) to be wrong here.

It is a 135.041
Omega archive shows it under the 135.0041 with a generic black outline

I have found a few examples that Don’t have seamaster. None that Do.😵‍💫

my search was by no means exhaustive. Happy (prefer) to be wrong here.

I only remember seeing about two or three double signed and hundreds just Genève.
Some of the double signed were obvious as the Seamaster was too high on the dial and a different ink weight to Genève.

The best thing is to photograph the dial absolutely straight on and then check the proportions of the spaces of the words.

It is unusual, but things from Omega in the 1960s weren't always as we expect them to be today.

The best thing is to photograph the dial absolutely straight on and then check the proportions of the spaces of the words.

I’m not quite sure what you mean about the proportions of the spaces.

do you mean check if they are running parallel as if on lined paper?

When we have a nice clear dial photo we can assess and discuss.

I was going to say the only took that looks fishy is the fake buckle, which is an indicator of something amiss, but I now see that you added the buckle 😁

I don’t recall seeing an 041 with the Seamaster script added to the dial, but the lettering of Geneve/Omega/Swiss Made all look exactly correct - note the serifs and descending center of the M in Omega, the lack of serifs on Geneve and it’s placement in the dial. These are all correct. And there are no other red flags: movement is correct, crystal looks good, crown is correct, lume looks good, case is honest. If it weren’t for the added Seamaster, I’d feel very confident that it’s all original

I was going to say the only took that looks fishy is the fake buckle, which is an indicator of something amiss, but I now see that you added the buckle 😁
Yes that strap and buckle was a lesson for me in “if it looks too good to be true…”
Should have re-read the informational post on buckles 🤦

I'm going out on a limb and call it a nice original example.

I don't see how the case finishing would make sense with a redial, and the lume application on the hour markers is OEM quality and better than any redial application I have ever seen.

Now did a jeweler add "seamaster" to it to increase sales... perhaps... but it feels right to me.

I also include some other seamaster Genève photographs I managed to find on ‘the ‘net’ for comparison purposes.
90D654CE-D6D2-47DC-BB98-A8070D2F3E01.jpeg FD4DC42D-2FE2-4992-8A0B-5A33561D3F79.jpeg EF82787E-CBB9-4175-BE7B-E2C4F489B5D0.jpeg

Having looked at the pics, I think your dial is an original Genève dial and that the Seamaster has been added later.
Whether done by Omega or another entity I don't know.

In the pic below you can see the horizontal box around Genève, the base aligns perfectly with the bottom of the text but the top shows that the word Seamaster is tilted.

The vertical box shows the Genève well centred, but Seamaster is offset to the left. The inking of Seamaster also seems to be heavier.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's still a nice dial.

I didn't check the other examples (some are 166.041 which seem to have many more examples of double names).

SMGALIGN.jpg

Having looked at the pics, I think your dial is an original Genève dial and that the Seamaster has been added later.
Whether done by Omega or another entity I don't know.

In the pic below you can see the horizontal box around Genève, the base aligns perfectly with the bottom of the text but the top shows that the word Seamaster is tilted.

The vertical box shows the Genève well centred, but Seamaster is offset to the left. The inking of Seamaster also seems to be heavier.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's still a nice dial.

I didn't check the other examples (some are 166.041 which seem to have many more examples of double names).

SMGALIGN.jpg
Thanks Jim
It definitely seems legitimate in every other way.
I wonder what strange story it could tell?

yes I included the other pictures out of interest simply because of the double name and because they don’t seem to have the alignment issue present here.

I’m still happy with it 👍

@JimInOz

At least one of the ones he posted has an identical dial and in the same case....

I'm beginning to wonder if Omega did the reprinting to help sell a slow seller... Or for the reintroduction of the name. I forget the timings here.

I guess it's one of those "we may never know" things about Omega. I like your theory though.
I'm also familiar with the double branded 141s, here is my 166.

IMG_0447.jpg

I have a similar dial from a generation before. A dial marked OMEGA AUTOMATIC CALENDAR had Seamaster added to it afterwards. Similar to many of these, the Seamaster script was a different color and a different weight. With mine? A little bit of misalignment.

IMG_0160.jpeg

Omega seems take liberty regarding the Ref xxx.041 dials. I used to own this "unsigned" 166.041 (with wrong crown unfortunately)
Edited: