Forums Latest Members
  1. stevo58 Nov 22, 2015

Hi folks -

First, I'm new here. I'm more of an IWC guy - am I allowed to say IWC? - so let's get that out of the way quickly, I hope you will all overlook it.

Now, why I'm here - I picked up an Omega 135.041 for, let's say, a very cheap price. You can see by the photo why it was so cheap. I bought it to use it as a practice movement - for stripping it down, cleaning it, oiling it, rebuilding it.

When I opened it, I saw a gold-plated caliber 601 in very nice condition. Such nice condition, that I decided it would be a crime for me to practice on it; and I'll be soon taking it to my watchmaker to have it professionally serviced by someone who actually knows what he is doing.

That leaves the appearance of the watch.

The gold plating (20 micron) is pretty worn. It looks like the case is made of brass. I'm going to leave the case as it is, I kind of like the worn look. This watch has obviously been through quite a bit (including some "engraving" on the back which looks as though it had been done with a 16-penny nail).

My question is about the dial (see photo). If it weren't for the spots where the lugs are brazed on, I could live with it, too, but I'm afraid I will have to find a replacement.

But - I've been researching the net, and I haven't seen a dial exactly like this - with both "Seamaster" and "Geneve" on it. I found the exact same watch, in good condition, here -

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/50...y-newbies-864205-post6356019.html#post6356019

but 'Seamaster' isn't on it. As a matter of fact, from what I have read, "Seamaster" and "Geneve" are two separate Omega lines (correct me please if I am wrong) so this just shouldn't be. I don't believe this would be a fake - why would anybody do such a perfect fake, and then make such a mistake? I would be interested in knowing why this is. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am new to Omega, and I have done some research, and am just not coming up with anything. I just want to know.

I'm also looking for a replacement dial, if anyone has something similar.

Looks like a replacement crown, too, but I know where to source one of those.

Thank you for your kindness and patience.

Steven

omega_front.jpg
  2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 22, 2015

The co existence of Geneve and Seamaster on the same dial is legitimate. There are a number of models that started out in the Seamaster line, then had the Geneve added to the name and eventually transitioned to the Geneve line.

3. tdn-dk Nov 22, 2015

Yes, but not on this reference. It is redone.

4. stevo58 Nov 22, 2015

Thanks for the info. I've decided to redial it, I don't think this one can be saved. I just have to find the right dial.

The posts poking through the front of the dial just didn't sit right with me - it's really as if someone repurposed a dial for an incompatible caliber. And not very well, either.

Steven

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 22, 2015

I was careful in my original post in not stating that this was the case for this model number. Could you provide a reference for your statement that this was not done for this 135.041? Thanks.

6. stevo58 Feb 9, 2016

So, I thought I would update this, since I have gotten the watch back from my watchmaker.

Before I start, remember that this watch was in horrible condition when I bought it. The dial had been (badly) replaced with an incorrect part; the crown was replaced with a steel crown, and much of the gold plating was completely worn out.

I tried to find the correct dial but was unsuccessful after searching both US and European web sites. My watchmaker couldn't find the correct one, either. I did find a NOS 135.011 dial, and went with that.Of course it says "Seamaster 600" rather than "Geneve." Anybody who looks at the back will know immediately it isn't a Seamaster.

In the end, the following work was done:
    - full revision of the movement
    - replacement of the dial with a different incorrect dial, but in perfect condition
    - crystal replaced (correct genuine Omega part for this watch)
    - crown replaced with a gold-plated, but non-Omega, crown.
    - replated the case

I decided to wait until I saw the results before replacing the hands with the thin black baton hands which actually fit this dial. I have found these at Frei, but not at any European source (I'm in Germany). I will probably replace the new crown (again) with a genuine Omega part, but it isn't a priority, and I'll do it when I find the correct part.

It was not possible to polish out the crude and illegible scratching on the back without dangerously thinning the metal, so we've left that. It stands as a reminder and a warning.

In the guitar world, this watch is now what would be called a 'player' - that is, a vintage guitar which has been modified so much that it has no more collector value, but is nevertheless a high-quality piece and very usable. In the end it cost as much as if I had bought an excellent-condition 135.041 (including the COR), but, that's not the point. This became a sort of "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" to me. And I have a very good handwind with a top-quality movement. I put it on a nice ostrich-leather Rios strap. I will also find an approprate Omega buckle for it. This is going into the regular rotation with my IWC Portuguese, Nomos Tangent, and my father's unremarkable late-Elgin handwind.

It also opened my eyes to the 600/01/02 movements. I'm watching for two or three interesting pieces with these movements and will find the right ones eventually. This will still my craving for IWC 88/89 for a while.

steven

IMG_2193.JPG
    Edited Feb 9, 2016