Forums Latest Members

Is LUME really that important...???

1. Clay Sep 4, 2017

Having collected mostly vintage pieces over the years the issue of "Lume" was non-exsistant...

But even with a modern piece I have always asked myself..."Is it really that important...???"

I have read so many posts over the years where people complain bitterly about the lack of lume on their watch...

I suppose that there are some people who may, in the course of their day (or night) depending on what they do for a living, etc., really need a watch to "glow" in the dark...

But I would imagine that number to be small...

In all my years...(And I am old)...I have never needed or have I cared, if a watch glowed in the dark...

Is it just me...???

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. bubba48 Sep 4, 2017

:thumbsup:

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 4, 2017

Blue pill, red pill

Hijak likes this.
  4. Aronis Sep 4, 2017

I have found that the 'glow' does not last very long anyway. But if I have to see what time it is in the dark, I can always light up my Beeper or my phone. LOL>......

Mike

5. kov Trüffelschwein. Sep 4, 2017

Interesting. Sounds a bit like the other thread about polishing. Some people will love the watch and some others will run away.

For me, a perfect lume that doesn't glow = almost sure relume = show stopper. Damaged lume = show stopper. No lume at all = show stopper.

A bit of a constraint to have a deal but makes it fun.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. any4xx Sep 4, 2017

I originally THOUGHT it was important until I realized my old eyes still couldn't see anything other than fresh tritium in the dark. If I happen to walk from the light into a dark room I can still read my watch for a minute. But no more than that. If I know I'll be out in the dark and will need to see my watch, it's got to have a battery in it.

7. José9 Sep 4, 2017

Well it depends. On a vintage watch I couldn't care less about the lume. But since I am an amateur astronomer, lume is quite important to me. I usually draw what I observe and then mark the date on the sketches. The time is not important in galaxies or nebulae but it is while marking my planetary sketches. Since light can ruin your night sight, I use the dimmest light possible to light my sheet of paper and the end of the sketch I am quite happy to have SuperLuminova on my speedy to read the time. But i admit this is not the norm

8. Toishome Sep 4, 2017

You have a beeper????

CTS-V likes this.
  9. Baz9614 Sep 4, 2017

Personally it's more about having a complete, preserved, original watch, with beautiful natural patina lume rather than how much it glows! ;)

10. Rman Sep 4, 2017

I only take issue with missing lume.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 11.48.16 AM.png