Forums Latest Members
  1. marcusbutton Jul 11, 2018

My grandpa gave me this broken Omega watch, and I was recently able to identify it as: BA 198.0022 1972 Electronic, and aside from pictures I can't find much info about it.

First is this watch worth fixing, and secondly is it recommended to get it fixed with an Omega dealer?

Thank you in advanced.

IMG_3593.JPG IMG_3591.JPG IMG_3594.JPG IMG_3592.JPG
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2018

The inside caseback says BA? Are you sure?

Otherwise depends on what’s wrong with it. Might just need a battery. Or???

The OR and it’s value as an heirloom is the deciding factors.

Hard to give a value due to the BA on it. BA denotes solid gold but the watch does not appear to be that.

Edited Jul 12, 2018
    connieseamaster likes this.
  3. marcusbutton Jul 11, 2018

Sorry, the website that I found the watch on had BA before the ref. number. I'm not sure how to open the caseback.

4. BenBagbag Jul 12, 2018

Clarify for us what 'worth it' means, is this a sentimental watch or do you plan to sell it? Total value of the watch is $200-400 and if all it needs is a battery it's easy but more complicated servicing will likely cost $200+

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 12, 2018

Edited my post with more information. I don’t think it’s a BA which denotes solid gold. As the caseback appears to be stainless which generally means not gold. A stainless and solid watch can have the same reference number.

BenBagbag likes this.
  6. marcusbutton Jul 12, 2018

When I say, "worth fixing" I mean will the cost to repair the watch cost more than the actual value of the watch. I definitely want to keep the watch, but while on the Omega website the cost of repair was $450- $550.

7. marcusbutton Jul 12, 2018

Thank you for the clarification.

8. Shabbaz Jul 12, 2018

Dont go to a omega watchmaker but find yourself a good independent watchmaker. Omega centers are ridiculous expensive. The costs of a service depends on your location. For example, I pay for a complete overhaul around EUR 225. A 565 cal is even cheaper. You can ask on this forum for a watchmaker in your neighbourhood. Maybe someone knows. Good luck!

9. michael22 Jul 12, 2018

Needs a new crystal, but the case & dial look good. I would expect it to be fixable. Don't take it to Omega.
    Watchmakers will give you a quote after looking at it, that is the way to go.

10. ac106 Jul 12, 2018

Right but this is a tuning fork and 99% of watchmakers don’t work on them.

I find that the base charge for a tuning fork is often less than the base charge for mechanical but parts are quite expensive & annoying to get.

11. tyrantlizardrex Jul 12, 2018

Too true.

There are a few folks about like http://electric-watches.co.uk/ who do good work, at reasonable prices. :thumbsup:

As you say, the prices do tend to jump if you need expensive parts like coils, crystals, or date wheels though. :unsure:

Foo2rama and connieseamaster like this.