Forums Latest Members
  1. lonemian Apr 10, 2019

This is my connie, which has a dent between its 3-4 o’clock index.

Still it’s a great watch for me, sometimes the dent really pops up to my eyes. would it be possible to restore the dial?

7DEC64E2-460F-470C-8420-C17A3D1E26DB.png
  2. ChrisN Apr 10, 2019

The dent is where the dial foot is (the peg that sticks out the back of the dial to secure the dial to the movement). In the picture below, you can see the two holes circled in red and those are the holes in the plate for the dial feet. These feet are secured by two screws that enter the plate as shown by the green arrows. If there's damage to the dial here, it could be that a watchmaker didn't realise those screws were there (unlikely) or the screw was badly corroded and they had to get forceful to remove the dial and was perhaps, not careful enough. I'd imagine the latter as this close to the crown and water may have entered the case. Is the dent coming towards you or away from you?

You could probably get someone to lightly dress the dent to take your eye away from it but, there will probably always be some residual mark. You have to be very gentle to not damage the finish on the dial side Ask your watchmaker when you next have the watch serviced.

Cheers, Chris
    upload_2019-4-10_14-29-46.png

KingCrouchy and lonemian like this.
  3. lonemian Apr 10, 2019

thanks for the explanation. the dent pops toward me.

4. DON Apr 10, 2019

Could be from someone pressing the dial into the post hole and maybe didn't realize the screw was blocking the post a little or they were trying to force the post in.

Watch maker might need to make a small jig and might be able to tap it down with a flat tipped punch (something over top to avoid damaging the dial surface) if your willing to take the chance

DON