Forums Latest Members

Is Grand Seiko getting better?

1. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

Here one of my Grand Seiko's with 9S86 Hi-Beat Movement. Very well regulated. Running around +1s/day already since I have it. Nice machine decorated:

IMG_5284.jpg

robinhook, qboa and François Pépin like this.
  2. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

However according to my opinion the strength of Grand Seiko's is Dial & Hands execution, Housing polishing, the reliability of movements and their wearing comfort.
    Here a photo of my preferate Grand Seiko "Snowflake"SBGA211:
    IMG_5287.jpg IMG_5289.jpg IMG_5292.jpg

Edited Dec 29, 2018
  3. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

Here the movement photos of the "Snowflake":

IMG_5293.jpg IMG_5294 2.jpg

4. FinWatch Dec 29, 2018

Grand Seiko is such a great luxury watch! With the unique design, their own polishing technique and their own Spring drive movement... I think that GS is a lot more interesting and higher quality watch than Rolex for example. GS limited edition -watches are truly limited.
    I am more than happy that I found GS into my collection (with my Rolex+Omega watches)!

2773D81A-11CE-473D-B826-4E3C2CAB4506.jpeg
  5. François Pépin Dec 29, 2018

Thanks! As far as the movement finish is concerned, I am not sure it is at the level of other "high end" brands, but nice watch indeed!

Generally speaking, I am under the impression that GS is more involved in case and dial decoration, and in movement reliability, than in movement finishing. Not a criticism, only my impression.

6. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

Depend which brands you include in "high end". It is not at the level of Patek or Lange - hand finished with anglage, gravure, bluing of screws,etc. , but it is on the level of Omega or Rolex - machine finishing/decoration like cote de geneve and perlage

FlatTop and qboa like this.
  7. François Pépin Dec 29, 2018

8. François Pépin Dec 29, 2018

You are right. To me "high end" is an open term we have to discuss. But even in a broad meaning, I would not include include Omega and Rolex in high end.

9. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

Further on, Grand Seiko finishes in e.g. the escapement wheel with so called MEMS technology for improved accuracy of finishing. The escape wheel is already for some time skeletonised for less weight and therewith longer power reserve - the thing which Rolex introduced now in their latest generation. They produce all the parts by themselves, even the hair springs. I thing they deserve the respect also for their movements.

FlatTop, qboa and François Pépin like this.
  10. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

Totally agree with you

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 29, 2018

You are 100% correct - the exterior of the watch is their focus. On the movements, it's mid-level finishing only. The average Rolex movement will be more completely finished than a GS movement is. GS primarily decorates only a few spots that are visible, and the rest are unfinished. The finishing techniques are of the "short cut" type also, so not hand finishing done on these movements.

Cheers, Al

12. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

In term of finishing. In term of construction - they are capable of everything

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 29, 2018

I have no idea what this rather vague statement really means...

Scarecrow Boat and watch3s like this.
  14. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

That in e.g. Omega did in their history already quite complicated and highly precise movements (like in e.g. tourbillon). Rolex trims their movements for longevity what is also sort of high end ....

15. François Pépin Dec 29, 2018

I do not criticise their movements and, even if I do not know much about Seiko, I know they have produced interesting inovations. I was only giving my impression concerning the movement finish - by which I mean not only the decoration, but the overall construction, the polishing or burnishing of the active parts, etc. I aknowledge, when I talk about "high end", the finishing is one of my main concern. But I am only refering to my personal ideas, as I do no think one can set a definitive or objective meaning to "high end".

16. MG-Speedy Dec 29, 2018

I totally agree with you - from (hand) finishing point of view of movements I also do not put them in high-end either....rather middle class

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 29, 2018

Just to show some photos that illustrate the level of movement decoration,. these are stills taken from a GS manufacturing vide. The stripes are not done in the traditional way, but using a fly cutter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the peaks and valleys this method creates - proper stripes should be seen but not felt if you ran your finger across them:

[​IMG]

Anglage is sparse:

[​IMG]

Perlage on the main plate is very sparse:

[​IMG]

Most of the main plate is just a machined finish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Typically just the visible parts are decorated:

[​IMG]

Not much done on the dial side:

[​IMG]

By comparison this is a Rolex 3135, and the decoration is far more complete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People often repeat claims that Rolex watches don't have display case backs because the movements are so poorly finished, but this is internet myth - they are actually finished pretty well for a mid-level brand.

Cheers, Al

18. François Pépin Dec 29, 2018

Thanks Al! Very informative. I am not a Rolex guy, but I aknowledge the 3135 is quite nice.

19. WiZARD Dec 30, 2018

I totally agree. I think from the viewpoint of an owner it is one of the most important part.
    The hand/dial finishing is on a different level compared to the mid tier swiss brands like Rolex or Omega. (I'd be really interested in a comparison including high-end swiss watches)

I've made some macro pics of the hands, I'll make some pics of the indexes, and dial details once I'll have some time ;)

macro_hands.jpg
  20. qboa Dec 30, 2018

I don't have any photo now, but I bet the finishing won't let you disappointed comparing to other watches in the price range.