Is Eta 255.111 a direct substitute for the Omega caliber 1432?

Dear fellow members,

I am sure this topic may have been raised in previous discussions, but am having difficulties finding any information on it.
I have a 1981 Omega Seamaster quartz which is powered by an Omega caliber 1432 which has been water damaged.

I have searched for a replacement movement but due to age of watch, is hard to find the exact 1432 in optimum condition, All I found is information from other sites that the eta 255.111 is the base movement for it! That does not give me enough confidence that it is a direct replacement without any other alterations to watch out for!

I am not a purist as this is a keeper that once belonging to my late father, so i just want to get it running and if the eta 255.111 can replace it without any major issues, I would be grateful to be reassured from those more savvy on this.!

Any advice on this, especially with what to watch out for would be greatly appreciated by those who have more experience in this? Many thanks!!

If you look closely around the perimeter of the pillar plate, you may very well find the information on the base caliber stamped into the metal. If the ETA 255.111 is stamped there, the circuit will likely be printed with the Omega calibre number. If this is evident, the movement should interchange.

thanks for your input!

I am aware that this Omega caliber 1432 uses the eta 255.111 as the base movement so that is not in doubt.

My question is if I were to buy an eta 255.111 movement straight off the shelf and would be a direct replacement. Omega may have made alterations to the basic eta movement which would then prevent this direct swap, I know some may have date at 3 and at 6 which is not an issue which can be swapped from the old to the new. My worry is that there may be different variations with different dial feet positions or even a wider date wheel that would not fit from original movement to new one?

If the Omega pillar plate is marked 255.111, I’ll go out on a limb and say it should be interchangeable. It sounds to me as though this is your only option.

I think you are hoping someone can speak authoritatively that the 255.111 movement is exact in every respect, compared to the Omega marked movement. About the only possible difference (in my view) might be arbour heights. Some fancy dials require taller arbours so the hands don’t hit the dial markers. As I wrote earlier, you really don’t have much choice other than to go for the 255.111!

Thank you! You have given me enough information to help me confidently take the dive!

Anything like arbours and small variations to accomodate dials is not an issue as I have done interchanges with parts in the past on eta mechanical movements creating my own movements from mixing parts from eta 2824 and 2834 to obtain a longer post for seconds wheel and canon pinions. I was more worried about dial feet position changes and different size date wheels !