Forums Latest Members

Is Ebay the best place to occasionally discover a bargain or is there a better place online?

1. joelapatrick Jul 15, 2017

I've spent a lot of time on ebay just browsing, but I've never found *that* watch that the widow pulled out of her late husbands sock drawer and sold for an insane price... obviously over-stating it, but you understand what I'm asking...

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 15, 2017

If I knew of a better place I wouldn't tell anyone. With prices constantly rising, why would I want more competition?
    That being said, l have found lots of interesting stuff on Ebay, and I know of many others who have --depends what you look for and how, and whether you have an open mind.
    Best regards

Larry S, aap, Giff2577 and 11 others like this.
  3. jumpingsecond Jul 15, 2017

Also depends on the confidence you have in knowing what you're looking at.

AveConscientia and Davidt like this.
  4. joelapatrick Jul 15, 2017

What do you mean about having an open mind?

5. joelapatrick Jul 15, 2017

Thanks. It's a good point because I don't have a lot of confidence in knowing what I'm looking for. Feeling both absolutely obsessed with watches and ignorant at the same time.

6. jumpingsecond Jul 15, 2017

No worries- join the club. Stick around here and you'll hopefully learn more with time. I know the forum's saved me a few times from impulsive idiocy.

joelapatrick likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 15, 2017

I've gotten 2 great deals on eBay. 1 involves minor risk, the other some verification. Both required knowledge and a hunt.

Syrte and joelapatrick like this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 15, 2017

have you tried hitting up the local pawn shops or thrift stores in your area? I have a local run I do when we are out in Palm Springs and have yielded the following:

JLC for $6.99

upload_2017-7-15_9-26-39.png

And this one.

upload_2017-7-15_9-28-14.png

And most recently this one.

upload_2017-7-15_9-29-47.png

The latter two were picked up at discounts that are comparable to Invicta discounts. :)

nate0624, Larry S, arcadelt and 5 others like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 15, 2017

By open mind I mean, if you like dive watches don't tell yourself you're only going to consider Omega divewatches. Learn how to identify something that's good quality even if it's not your primary target, and allow yourself to jump on it if you like it and the price is good. One member here, Dennis. called it a target of opportunity.

Until relatively recently I was very focused on a couple of watches only, and wilfully ignored countless others. As my tastes evolved and time was passing I realized I had ignored exceptional watches which were then available at a decent price but are now incredibly difficult to find.
    I have changed my approach and if I see a watch I like, I just set myself a price limitation to ensure I do not overspend, and if I get it then it's a bargain, if I don't I move on. I have never found a miracle bargain but I have found watches I really like at very reasonable prices.

Also "open mind" depends on what you want. If you like vintage watches and have decided you will not look at any watch smaller than 37mm then you're unlikely to find a bargain.

Larry S, MaiLollo, arcadelt and 8 others like this.
  10. joelapatrick Jul 15, 2017

Man, that's awesome. Yeah, I've assumed that's the way I'll find anything. On the weekend I've been popping to my local charity shops, but haven't seen anything quite like that. I wonder if the US is better for it? I'm in London (born and raised in Texas, though).

Taddyangle likes this.
  11. joelapatrick Jul 15, 2017

Super helpful. Really appreciate it.

Syrte likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 15, 2017

You're in London and have never found a bargain?? Get out of the city into the country side, into the car boot sales, fairs, flea markets and little shops-- the Uk is full of unbelievable stuff, I have many pals who live there and find great watches all the time.
    But again that requires a lot of learning and reading to know how to identify a good quality watch.
    Again, are you looking for vintage or modern?

Wibbles and joelapatrick like this.
  13. repoman Jul 15, 2017

The is no silver bullet. There isn't just one place where barn finds are magically found. You have kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince. You also have to be ready to act quick as the good examples don't last long. Luck and timing are definitely in play. Personal networking is perhaps the best method of securing those grails... build your network within the horology community, be active on forums, go to get-togethers, etc. The more you personally invest in terms of time and effort, the more opportunities will present themselves.

Larry S, arcadelt, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  14. joelapatrick Jul 15, 2017

True, I just need to get out there.

15. joelapatrick Jul 15, 2017

LOL

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 15, 2017

I should add, when I advise to look at more than one brand, that's only if you want to find bargains. Because bargains are not a particular brand. But many watch collectors and enthusiasts end up having a brand of choice -- and it is said if your goal is to be a collector that's how you learn to identity the more unique watches. Howver, that's not necessarily how you will find bargains, which was your initial question.

Larry S and joelapatrick like this.
  17. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 15, 2017

Yes

Just Livin likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 15, 2017

In the US, Salvation Army and the large thrift store chains send almost all watches back to a central location now. Blame an OF member for it.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 15, 2017

If you need to ask, its probably more risk than reward. You sift through a huge number and find a handful that are good value or a good deal but there are 2-3 trojan horses for every good deal and they're easy to fall for if you're not extremely careful.

20. abrod520 Jul 15, 2017

I think Dennis put it best when he said that eBay is unique in that it handsomely rewards those who are knowledgeable and decisive, but harshly punishes those who are ignorant and impatient.

That said, these days most people selling a watch with a name on the dial (like "Speedmaster" or "Autavia") have Googled it and found that they are valuable

repoman, Vitezi, paulb2 and 5 others like this.