Forums Latest Members
  1. TexasKevin Feb 25, 2014

I know most of you guys on here are looking for pristine all original watches. Does anyone here buy incomplete watches and get the parts for them to make them whole? I picked up a couple Omega movements at an auction for a watch repair shop that closed, I got a really good price, but they don't have cases, and I don't know what parts if any are missing. I see I can get cases on ebay and probably be into them for less than $125 each.
    Am I crazy to think I can send a watch in parts to watch repair shop and have it put together? Has anyone here done this? Do they even do that, or am I stuck reselling for parts?

Also I'd like to know if I am dating these correctly. 560 with 21M serial is 64-65', and 752 with serial 27M is 68-69' correct?
    Thank you to all for any advice, hopefully I haven't dug myself in too deep of a hole.

(I have more parts in the little containers from the watch shop than what is pictured, like the missing 5 marker on the 752)

200a.jpg 200b.jpg 100b.jpg 100c.jpg

2. ulackfocus Feb 25, 2014

If you know you can complete the watch, or at least have a good chance of finding the rest of the parts, go for it. A lot of us have done this. It just takes patience and diligence to search out the items you need. I find it better to buy a complete neglected watch and search for replacement parts. It isn't easy all the time, and it's usually cheaper to just buy a good specimen in the first place

TexasKevin and michael e like this.
  3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 25, 2014

Agreed! It was likely stripped as it was too far gone to start with or the parts were too hard to find..... you're better off to put your cash into finding a complete watch and getting serviced or, better yet, spending your hard earned bucks on something nice that's just been through the shop. Remember: If you find three of the same movement and plan to build one... its likely they all died of the same thing so all three will need the same bits!

However, I do know this idiot who is almost done piecing together an 1874 Illinois...... um....OH! that would be me.

It is the hard way to do it!

TexasKevin likes this.
  4. TexasKevin Feb 26, 2014

Thanks,
    I need to learn to ask the right questions before jumping into things. Hopefully over the next couple years I'll get them pieced together at the prices I need to make it worthwhile.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2014

If you can sort out what specific movement parts might be missing, and you can't locate them out there on the internets, let me know and I can get you some pricing for new parts from Omega.

Cheers, Al

Fritz, Daniel B, ron n and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 26, 2014

Helpful fellow that Archer......

Nice uniform too!