Forums Latest Members
  1. woodsjo3 Dec 27, 2015

2. LawBrk Dec 27, 2015

Is the caseback sapphire?

3. Dombo63 Dec 27, 2015

Are your wrists covered in other than human skin?

4. PatrickJ Dec 27, 2015

It is sapphire but it can still get scratched. When you take it off put it in a watch case. I use my old citizen one, works wonders for my speedy pro and no scratches on the watch at the moment. You can't eliminate scratches but you can DRASTICALLY REDUCE them.

5. PatrickJ Dec 27, 2015

Problem is when you take it off. Never lay bracelet flat on the back of the watch.

Sameh and ulackfocus like this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 27, 2015

Any watch, goes for stainless too.!

PatrickJ likes this.
  7. PatrickJ Dec 27, 2015

Absolutely sir. That is why whenever I take my speedy off I put it in a cheap watch box so the bracelet does not touch the back of the watch. It might sound a bit much but it does the job.

8. OmegaSean Dec 27, 2015

Oh dear I don't look after mine very well judging by these posts. I simply take mine off wrap it in a yellow dusting cloth (UK members will know what they are) and put it in a random box it fits snugly and my thought is if I'm burgled they will take my Omega box in the cupboard and not bother with the random box along with others on the side. I must say I just looked for scratches swirls or any other damage and since May this year I've done this and no damage noted. Maybe I'm lucky ???
    OmegaSean

vadimo and PatrickJ like this.
  9. ac106 Dec 27, 2015

Can having the sapphire case back resting on bracelet really scratch it? This seems improbable to me. I wore an inexpensive Swiss army watch with a sapphire crystal for ten years. banged it around constantly and set it face down all the time. Not a mark on it. I mean the crystal looks brand new

10. PatrickJ Dec 27, 2015

Five years ago my dad let me wear his Panerai PAM 111 for a few weeks, to see if I wanted to buy it off him. He warned me although it has sapphire glass and a strong case there are no guarantees and take care. I caught it on a sink tap while making coffee half asleep one morning. A tiny tiny tiny chip appeared in the glass, I was told to pay for a new glass when it was due for its next service. My father did not hold me to it in the end, sapphire is scratch resistant not proof.

11. ac106 Dec 27, 2015

a chip is a totally different thing then a scratch. Sapphire is hard but brittle i believe. It can chip but scratching it is pretty tough. I doubt the back of the bracelet can scratch it but they can and do chip.

12. flyingout Dec 27, 2015

Careful though. I used to toss my watches into a box with my other valuables.

[​IMG]

ConElPueblo likes this.
  13. PatrickJ Dec 27, 2015

Damage is damage.

14. ac106 Dec 27, 2015

sure patrick.

15. PatrickJ Dec 27, 2015

LOL

16. ulackfocus Dec 27, 2015

I know how to keep any watch from being damaged - never take it out of the box. :whistling:

PatrickJ likes this.
  17. alam Dec 27, 2015

Let's protect the case, the buckle, pushers, crown, bezel... where's the picture of the "coverall' shield?

PatrickJ likes this.
  18. lillatroll Dec 27, 2015

I just wear mine and put it down wherever. I want to enjoy wearing my watches and not worry about getting the odd scratch or ding.

19. danbrew Dec 27, 2015

You know, you can do about 100 different things to keep from an inadvertent scratch... it's that 101st that you didn't think about... lol.
    I'm not a huge watch guy (not for lack of trying), but the one thing I really really like doing? Wearing the watch. And I'm just never going to be perfect. While new to Omega (when can I stop saying that, btw? 2 watches? 3? 10?), I have "collected" nice watches for years. I have a few Rolex watches, and a few other mid-range watches, and generally speaking, they look as good today as they did 20 years ago when I bought them. No major scratches, nothing that a good clean/polish wouldn't resolve.

I have a Macbook Pro so almost always take my watch off before I do any extended typing on that aluminum body (remind me to tell you about the time I left a really nice Rolex in the common area of a big office for an entire weekend...). I'm a huge outdoor guy and always take off the nice watches when I'm camping or spending time in the woods. One of my favorite outdoor watches is a Suunto Ambit 3 with a sapphire crystal. I've bounced that thing against rock faces, against rocks in a river, and just generally beat the heck out of it. Not a scratch on it. And then there are the cheapo Timex watches that I have - seems the cheaper they are, the more I can beat 'em up.

But, yeah, I am trying to baby my Omegas.

Josh36912 likes this.
  20. PatrickJ Dec 28, 2015

Watches like most other things will get damaged. However, prevention is possible but elimination is not. I keep my speedy under a jacket, fleece, wide and large cuffed shirt. At the desk it lives under my pullover or jumper and if I wear it out of clothing the clasp rests on a small cloth on the desk. When it is taken off it is put in an inexpensive Citizen watch presentation case.