Forums Latest Members

Is a new crown and pusher required as part of seevice?

1. axl911 May 10, 2016

Talked to one of the independent service here and he states that he must replace the crown and pusher as part of a service. Guess this is to insure water tightness.

But for those who want to keep the existing crown and pushers on their vintage speedy, what do you do? One option is to keep the original in a plastic bag, but you still have the new ones on your watch.

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 10, 2016

I find it curious as well. My guess is that the seals depend on the construction of the crown and pushers to guarantee water resistance. It might be possible that Omega does not sell the seals separately nor count on a watchmaker to properly replace them?

Al?

Tom

3. Eric_navi May 10, 2016

I usually keep original pushers if they are working well. Especially if they are visibly different from replacements. Replacing those with service parts normally not a big issue at all.

An original vintage crown I always keep on the watch. you can have the watchmaker reseal it as best he can. The new ones don't look the same.

Either way, you'll be keeping it away from water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 10, 2016

I'm not a service technician but it seems to me that if you want your watch to perform to original specification when it comes to waterproofing then 1) change old seals, 2) do a pressure test. If you don't require a watch to be waterproofed then just don't have this stuff done. I own a 1927 Hamilton watch with no seals whatsoever. Looks great and works very well. I do not let it in contact with water.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 10, 2016

I usually have them replaced at service, but of course hang onto originals. I prefer to play it safe and be sure to keep moisture and dust/dirt out of the movement. I'm all for originality, but 321's ain't gonna be easier to service.

6. mozambique May 10, 2016

Yes, the pushers and crown are service replacement parts. Seals cannot be replaced, whole part needs replacing. Peace of mind. If you prefer vintage look, then don't replace..............just be careful going into the shower!

7. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker May 11, 2016

On some crowns you can replace the o'ring, on many you can't, if it's replaceable I replace it with a new one.

As for the pushers, I routinely replace the seals, simply disassemble the pushers, remove the old o'rings, install new ones, lubricate and re-assemble.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2016

Brands will replace these parts at every service, so if your vintage Omega or Rolex has ever been sent to the brand service center in it's lifetime, those are not the "original" parts on the watch that were there when it first left the factory. Typically brands will change case tube, crown, pushers, and HEV if equipped at every service.

If that is the policy of the person you are dealing with, and you don't want the parts changed, seek another watchmaker who will accommodate your needs.

Cheers, Al

RedMaple, Pun and OMGRLX like this.
  9. richardew May 11, 2016

That seems like an ideal solution but hard to come by. I think that the seals on the crown and pushers were meant to be installed once and won't function is reused. If you have a cooperative watchmaker you can have him/her reuse the parts and pressure test, then replace as necessary. Another way to go is to not remove them from the watch during service if they are still functioning appropriately (i.e., pass a pressure test). I was able to keep the originals in my 2998
    . 10.8.12 _16ck2998 day1.jpg 10.8.12 _39ck2998 day1.jpg

Pun and The_Walrus like this.