Forums Latest Members

Irritating Limited Editions...

1. Siac Jun 27, 2014

Is it me or are some limited editions really not!

Whether it's the number within that series, the design or the edition, I do feel that some manufacturers dilute their offerings with "less meaningful" oferings.

This IWC for example www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/iwc_aquatimer_chronograph_edition_tribute_galapagos_islands_iw376705.htm
    It has an engraved back with a turtle. Whoopee do! What the heck has a huge black plastic diving watch, quite clearly of a modern style, got to do with anything Charles Darwin and the Galapagos Islands. A tenuous link to it being surrounded by water perhaps, but come on! Really!

Which limited editions do you feel are limited more by design and meaning than the number produced?

Cheers

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 27, 2014

3. Siac Jun 27, 2014

Don't dispute that, great foundation... but does a case engraved make for a good limited edition?

4. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2014

My pet peeve: I don't see how a Limited Edition of over 1,000 pieces is limited at all.

5. bieb1 Jun 27, 2014

I think some of the historically related "limited" editions are nice, eg not many made/sold at the time (compared to the contemporary standard models) and becoming limited by default. For example the 1956 Olympic seamaster. Modern limited editions made for the sole purpose of suggesting future collectability I find are less appealing.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 27, 2014

You ruled out almost ALL Omega limited edition :D.
    Well that's better than Tag Heuer limited Edition. My Tiger Woods Link limited edition is 9,000 pieces. But wait, Omega James Bond is 10,007 limited pieces ;).