Forums Latest Members
  1. Bp1000 Jun 8, 2019

I know this question is going to be dangerously close to “is my watch safe to wear with my iPad”

But I pick up an iPad Pro later.

Having never considered an iPad before, just last night I thought I’d buy an iPad Pro and pencil. I’m constantly note taking and then typing them up plus there will be other uses.

So I order one to collect today.

I watch a few videos and see one guy throw his pencil down nearby and it rolls into the side of the case.

Immediately realised this thing probably has some pretty strong magnets. A quick google reveals 102 but I couldn’t find the strength they put out.

I am right handed when writing and wear my watch on my right hand too. So my hand and watch will likely be resting right on or near by a few inches, then iPad with all these magnets.

I’m thinking about my older watches, speedy pro, rolex gmt and Rolex sub.

I’d rather protect my watches and don’t want issues just from using and iPad. How likely is it? 102 magnets seem excessive!

I assume all my tudors and JLC willl be fine and of course the master co-axial watches.

Thanks

Omegafanman likes this.
  2. 321Only Jun 8, 2019

I would keep watches away from that. I might be a bit overcautious but I also put off my watch when working on my MacBook because of the magnets used to hold the display when closed.

I think the bigger issue is scratching the screen if you wear your watch on the right hand while taking notes ;)

3. tritto Jun 8, 2019

When I had an iPad 4 I used to occasionally sit a watch on top of the screen cover when it wasn't wearing it - I never considered the magnets. Then one fairly new watch started running very fast and I had a think about how it might have got magnetised. The iPad was the obvious culprit.
    Since them I'm more careful and I haven't experienced obvious signs of a magnetised watch since.
    Get a $15 demagnetiser off eBay if you're worried.

4. Fusion Jun 8, 2019

I’ve been using iPads for media consumption since they came out, and wore mechanical watches around them. Have yet to have an issue

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 8, 2019

Or get a proper one from a watchmakers tool supply company.

E78475ED-F8F9-4490-ACF7-45F0D3BE6D43.jpeg

6. ext1 Jun 8, 2019

I remember reading a Fratello article where Robert-Jan said his speedy got magnetized by his ipad. After reading that I always keep it away from my watches.

321Only likes this.