Forums Latest Members
  1. birchstonekelsey Apr 4, 2017

I'm hoping the Omega experts here can help. My parents were given these watches as gifts when we lived in the Middle East - I think in the early 80s. I have tried finding out more about them on line but can't seem to find any identical models anywhere. Can anyone help provide some clues as to what their background is and what a possible value may be? Really appreciate any help you can give.

IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1052.JPG
  2. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 4, 2017

Hello. Take the watches to a watchmaker to have the caseback removed. Here you'll find the reference number. Take pics of this and the movement (in clear close-up). Return here and someone will be able to assist you. Most likely they will be worth gold scrap value plus maybe 20% as most of these type watches are not particularly collectible. The bracelets are solid 14k gold so will harbor considerable inherent value. Good luck.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2017

Two rather pretty watches from the 1980s I think. Maybe from the "Isle de France" line.

Possible quartz movements.

The style and the movement type don't find many followers these days, so as @Gordon Heavyfoot said, get somebody capable to pop the casebacks for some decent photos.

Mark020 likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2017

So with some research I find they aren't from the Isle de France line, rather they are from the 1976 line called "Pavés d'Or".

Very elegant models fitted with a caliber 625.

I'm cooking pasta at the moment but I'll post pictures later or tomorrow.

Mark020 likes this.
  5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 4, 2017

Love to see what sauce you are serving with it ;)

gminnj likes this.
  6. birchstonekelsey Apr 4, 2017

This is brilliant - thank you so much. Will get photos of the movements.

Love the beagles!

Karen

7. Fialetti Apr 4, 2017

Hey, I remember these! Hopefully someone with actual expertise can chime in after me.

The style of the watch and the reference numbers on the bracelets suggest an early 70s date. If you can get the case back off, you will likely see more of the same numbers repeated there, as well as some additional markings and caliber and serial numbers on the movement, which can be used to glean a bit more information. This post explains that better than I can: http://www.vintage-watches-collecti...-ville-ladies-white-gold-on-steel-boxed-1973/. Bear in mind that the watch described there was a more expensive model than these.

At that time Omega was collaborating with the modernist jewellery designed Andrew Grima to create both one-off pieces and high end designer watches. Speculatively, I would say that these look like an attempt to leverage some of the cachet of his style in more conservatively-styled watches made in less luxurious materials (14k gold in the case of the bracelets) using the 'De Ville' brand, which Omega had used for their entry-level watches and which now became a fashion line.

8. Fialetti Apr 4, 2017

Sorry - that took a while to write! Already obsolete. Not Grima but rather Gilbert Albert.

Edited Apr 4, 2017
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2017

About 20 or 30 chopped cherry tomatoes from our vine, one teaspoon of raw sugar, half teaspoon of salt, 3 or four tablespoons of shiraz, simmer in a shallow pan for 15 minutes on very low heat, stir it all through cooked linguine with a dash of garlic infused olive oil.

Drop in a bowl and top with a fresh sprig of sweet basil and a fresh halved tomato. Add shaved parmesan to taste.

IMG_1485.JPG

MtV, padders, Peemacgee and 7 others like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 4, 2017

No meat :eek: suppose you ride a Vespa and drink coffee after 10am........

(For overseas people 10 am is pub opening time for Aussies )

Mark020, MtV, Peemacgee and 2 others like this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2017

Sorry mate. I'd actually just fried off a nice sliced Italian sausage and it was in the oven keeping warm. I forgot about it until Annie mentioned the garlic bread, which I'd also completely forgotten! What a dork I'am!!!!

So we finished up with lots of meat and ciabatta to get the last of the sauce.

It was a big day as I had to re-duct a range hood as the original shit builders found it too hard to duct it so they just turned the flaps to full recirculate the lazy fuckers. I hate tiled roofs and fibreglass insulation!

I'm enjoying a well earned "wee dram" at the moment.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 4, 2017

No need - the case numbers are clearly visible stamped on the clasp. The larger is 3110162 and the smaller is 7112005 - both use the Cal. 625. Both are steel and 1N yellow gold - 14k.

As noted on the dial and case backs, from the DeVille line.

Cheers, Al

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2017

From the Omega Bible

OPDO.JPG

Fialetti and ahartfie like this.
  14. birchstonekelsey Apr 5, 2017

Thank you all so much. This is so much more than I could find via google! I'm guessing from the comments that there isn't much call for these types of watches these days. They are a bit old fashioned so my Mum should either keep them or go down the gold scrap route. I think any good jeweller should be able to advise me of this process. Seems a shame but that's fashion for you!

Thank you again - for watches and cooking!

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 5, 2017

Obviously, we haven't seen the movement but the watches look to be in great shape, otherwise. The style may be dated but, as seen in the photos from AJTT, they look pretty spiffy on a leather strap. I think that would make them far more wearable today and far less blingy. I would hate to see these watches sent to the scrap heap.

Edited Apr 5, 2017
    ahartfie likes this.
  16. aap Apr 5, 2017

Ooh, may I pls know what the full title of this "bible" is?

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2017

MtV and aap like this.
  18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 5, 2017

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2017

he that gives seed to the sower.........

20. aap Apr 5, 2017