Forums Latest Members
  1. tominabox1 Nov 21, 2014

Hey fellas/ladies - I wanted to introduce myself, tominabox1. I've been a fan of Omega watches for quite a while as I grew up with Brosnan's James Bond and fell in love with the SMP. It was always a dream for me until recently I discovered the Speedmaster series and actually got to see an Omega in person for the first time.

So I hope to join the ranks of luxury watch owners in the next month or so if things go as planned. Some of you may have seen my post over on WUS regarding my visit to the Northpark Center mall boutique visit here in Dallas.

And since threads are useless without pictures, here's my only mechanical at the moment:

QxhitKI.jpg
    noelekal, stonechild and STANDY like this.
  2. Georgieboy58 Nov 21, 2014

Welcome!

3. tominabox1 Nov 21, 2014

oops missed the sticky! Thanks Georgie

4. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2014

Welcome to the OF! Nice intro!

5. silviogo Nov 21, 2014

Welcome onboard. If you recently discover speedy spend some time on Apollo and early space history that is Indissolubile with speedmaster.

6. M.D. Nov 21, 2014

Welcome! What are you planning on buying? Also, nice leather nato on your Seiko 5.

7. Fretworker Nov 21, 2014

Hi + 1, welcome from England - lovely Seiko - it's not all about Omega here - just mostly

8. tominabox1 Nov 21, 2014

The plan right now is a Speedmaster Reduced 3510.50 as that is what my budget requires but I could maybe stretch a bit. We'll see what my bonus at work comes out to this year.

9. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2014

Great screen name. :thumbsup: You don't have a brother named Jack by any chance, do you? ::rimshot::

Good thing you set an avatar, because if I had seen you without one.....

tom-jerry-jack-in-box.jpg

10. tominabox1 Nov 21, 2014

heh no but if you'd like a full synopsis on the history, read on: ::popcorn::

I was sitting in my freshman English Comp class in college and we were discussing the 3 parts of an essay, the intro, the body, and the conclusion. As is customary, it can be described as a hamburger, where the intro and conclusion are buns, and the body is the meat, and the toppings etc. Well we were constructing this "burger" via class participation and spouting off different "toppings" to add and I was feeling especially feisty that day apparently and gave some outlandish suggestions like anchovies or Santa Claus(what?). The prof got tired of hearing crazy stuff and wrote my name on the board, put a box around it and said, "Tom, you are now in a box, you can no longer talk." And so from that day forward, I have been known as "tominabox". The 1 was appended because the first place I registered the username (AOL chat IIRC) tominabox was already taken. I didn't bother removing it elsewhere.

I hope that was a worthwhile read, it sure seems dry. :rolleyes:

11. tominabox1 Nov 21, 2014

Thanks, I got it from natostrapsco.com, highly recommended!

12. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2014

We often have to explain our screen names - I think we even had a thread on it a few years back. While we're sharing, mine came from a boss about 15 years ago. We were having a regional meeting and I was cracking jokes to lighten the tension. One of my cars was a supercharged Ford Focus and was in the shop (again). My boss, seeing that I drove the Saturn instead of the Ford, and at the same time commenting on my attitude that morning, stopped the meeting and said to me "You lack Focus" as a pun and as a lighthearted way to get me to be more serious. It's stuck ever since.

noelekal and rhetoric like this.
  13. silviogo Nov 22, 2014

Why a speedy reduced? It's only question of money, or you prefer the small dimension? I would suggest you to go on the speedmaster pro may be used, you can found some nice pick here in OF especially if you live in USA.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2014

Yea I'd be inclined to either stretch a bit more for a Pro or if you want the smaller size go for a Speedmaster Date or MK40 or something, the reduced is no longer in production and had a less desirable movement than the other Speedmaster family members.

15. tominabox1 Nov 22, 2014

Primarily money. I tried on a Speedmaster Racing and a Pro at Jared this week and I actually prefer the size of the racing which is a 40mm case IIRC. Regardless, both models are outside of my budget. I am a very savvy guy (maybe cheap?!) so I want to get a deal. I had one guy quote me $400 service on *any* Speedmaster but I'm trying to shop around. I have yet to see a Reduced model in person, but I found a seller on ebay with one who is nearby so I'm waiting to hear back from them if I can see the watch in person. (I'm in Dallas area btw)

I won't go into budget details since this isn't the WTB forum and even if it were, I don't have my 200 posts!

Edited Nov 22, 2014
  16. M.D. Nov 22, 2014

You may want to check out what Kringkily (George) has to offer in the watches for sale section. He's a great source for Speedmasters and probably easier on your budget than an AD. A lot of members here have purchased their Speedy's from him.

17. tominabox1 Nov 22, 2014

I sent him a message of what I was looking for last night. We'll see if anything comes up!

18. M.D. Nov 22, 2014

Good luck! A Speedy Pro was my first "nice" watch and I love it!

19. silviogo Nov 22, 2014

before buy on eBay, ask on the forum there are many expert guys here, and many bad used watch on bay...you will save money.

DLT222 likes this.
  20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2014

Sit tight and save a bit more...

You will wish you got the pro!

lando and silviogo like this.