Forums Latest Members

Introduction of a new forum member and his first Omega Speedmaster

1. Alex1974 Oct 8, 2015

Dear Communitiy,
    after finding this Forum I would like to introduce myself and my first Omega Speedy ;)
    About half a year ago I started to develop my Passion for mechanical watches.
    So the first Watch I bought was an Jeager-LeCoultre Club Automatic Day-Date in 18K Gold dated 1971 (which I will Introduce in the correct Thread later).
    After getting deeper into the topic I landed up very quickly with the Omega Speedmaster which fascinated me right away not only because of its classic and timeless Design but also because of its unique History.
    So my Intention was to get myself one of the very first Speedmasters after the Moon landing.
    After a while of research I found a nice Piece (according to my anateur Opinion) which I purchased.
    Besides the dispute I have with the Seller (posted in the corrsponding Thread) I can't describe the feeling when I finally held it in my Hands... what a beauty! The only problem is that it created an immediate Adicction which calls for MORE! ;)
    Now I am desperately trying to find the original Manual and the "Crater-Box" (which all of a sudden appeared in the sellers Store a day after he sold the watch to me, instead of offering the box right away with the watch for an extra price....I even asked him if he has the Box or papers for the watch before i purchased it!)
    I already ordered an etract from the Omega Archives for my watch which should arrive within the next days, hoping that there will be no bad surprises form that side....
    I would be happy to read the Opinion of the Forum Members, hoping that I was not ripped off.....I paid 3000 Euros for it.
    By now I can only provide the Pictures of the sales page since the watch is with my Watchmaker....
    If more detailed Pics are required, please let me know.
    I also tried to find out in the Forum, how many Watches with the straight back were produced but could not find any Information. Does anyone knows?
    And can anyone tell me which is the original steel bracelet for this Model? Is it the 1039 or 1171?
    Hope I gave enough Information for the beginning.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

emilio likes this.
  2. mozambique Oct 8, 2015

3. Esmarch Oct 8, 2015

1171, 1039 and 1116 (and I guess several others) could be correct for this reference.

4. Alex1974 Oct 9, 2015

Thanks for the welcome and the response!
    Would anyone have an Idea where I can find an original crater box?
    Thank you all

5. Brench Oct 9, 2015

Ha! nice. Enjoy. I normally do while wearing this one

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 9, 2015

7. Alex1974 Oct 9, 2015

Thanks for the resource Info oddboy ;)

8. Alex1974 Oct 9, 2015

@Brench: I am hesitating in wearing mine (also if it is actually calling for it!) because I dont want to ruin the nice condition. But I'm thinking abt getting me a newer / cheaper one for daily use ;)

9. WatchVaultNYC Oct 9, 2015

nice watch and congrats!

10. wwhntr Oct 9, 2015

Wear it and enjoy...don't you think if it has survived in this condition for 46 years ( probably someone's everyday watch) that it can handle more than 46 years of you wearing regularly?

If you haven't researched this site, http://speedmaster101.com , kept up to date by another outstanding forum member, it's a great resource too!

I've looked at 100's of vintage Speedmaster's over the last 7-8 years and currently have 3 of the '69 straight line variations in my collection. All of mine came on period correct 1039 bracelets, dated from '69-70. Many people don't like the flat link 1039's because they feel they're too light and will not wear well. I personally like them because the period correct style, but they're expensive, going for $400-800USD, depending on condition! If you go that route look for one with 23-26 links and preferably one that hasn't got stretched links near the clasp. (Also, correct end pieces for the 1039 are 516...very hard to source and expensive when they come up for sale!)

11. Alex1974 Oct 9, 2015

@wwhntr: probably you're right, but the case it self has not a single scratch on it (might not shown properly on the pics), and I don't want to add any...
    Why no stretch links near the clasp?

12. Alex1974 Oct 9, 2015

Does anyone know if the caseback with straight writing still available as a sparepart?

13. Alex1974 Oct 9, 2015

14. Esmarch Oct 9, 2015

Bear in mind that the newer 1171 bracelets are a modern version. Much lighter and not as well constructed as the old ones. That said, I wear my 145022-69ST on a new 1171!

Just make sure you're buying a real vintage 1171, if that's what you're after.

15. Alex1974 Oct 9, 2015

Are The vintage ones the ones with production year stamped in?

16. wwhntr Oct 9, 2015

Case has probably been refinished at some point...hard to tell from sellers pics. It's your watch, wear regularly and enjoy or save for special occasions, that's your call. (I enjoy wearing regularly, but I'm not rough on watches.)

The stretch links on a 1039 are the last 4-5 links near clasp. They have springs that keep them tight if springs aren't broken. (Research 1039 bracelet more if interested.)

As for new case back, Omega does/did make replacement that can be found. What's your concern about existing case back?

17. Alex1974 Oct 9, 2015

I will post better Pics as soon as I have it back form my Watchmaker. I got no information if the case have been refinished or not...
    Abt the case back I thought it would be nice to have one in better condition.
    But since beeing an absolute newbie with vintage watches I learned that this is part of the vintage charme and therefore I will leave it completely untouched (except maintainance;)

Edited Oct 9, 2015
    wwhntr likes this.
  18. wwhntr Oct 9, 2015

I agree about keeping the vintage charm, but if the missing black on lettering really bothers you it can be easy fix. (PM me if you want instructions.)