Forums Latest Members

Introduction, new Omega and servicing question!

1. twistedlugs Oct 30, 2019

Good morning!

It seems that I have inadvertently become an Omega fan boy so this seemed an appropriate place to come and procrastinate every now and again!
    I am from the UK and I have been into watches for about 5 years or so now. My collection has grown and shrunk a few times and I have owned Bremont, Nomos, Seiko, Christopher Ward, Longines and currently own a Rolex Sub 114060 (more on that later) a Speedy (graduation present in 2015) and just added a rather lovely 2254 from 2006.

[​IMG]
    My 114060 was added close to a year ago and while it is lovely I just haven't got on with it. It wears a little large for me, I like a date and it is just quite heavy with a full days wear. It is too expensive to own if I don't love it so pretty soon that will be for the chop.

Which will leave me with these two beauties:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am looking to really pare down my collection, mainly as I just don't want to spend money on these things anymore! Despite me enjoying them so much, there are just more important things to concentrate on financially!

These two potentially can cover me for all bases and do it really well. I rarely wear a suit but when I do I think the speedy on a nice black alligator strap will do nicely. When I sell the sub however, the temptation may be too great to add just one more, maybe something with some colour. I have always liked the previous gen SMPc, what do you guys think of that as a trio? Anything else you would look at?
    [​IMG]

Finally, my 2254 has box and papers but no service history, so potenitally unserviced. I took it to a local watchmaker who is Omega certified (Barretts of Tavistock, if anyone knows them?) and he pressure tested it, all good there and I have timed it to about +2.5-3.5 seconds per day. So currently keeping good time. Surprisingly Barretts of Tavistock charge the same to service as Omega SC would, £420 I think, and this would come with a 2 year Omega warranty. So would the local watchmaker give the exact same service as if I sent it direct to Omega, I heard Omega replace a lot of parts included in the price which sounds good to me as I plan to keep this for the long run and want it working as my daily. I am really worried that a overzealous watchmaker may ruin my bezel on the 2254 which is pretty sharp, do Omega have a habit of this on this model? If I am worried about this do you think it wise just to ask for the watch to remain unpolished? Could you ask for a light polish on everything except the bezel? Would you be inclined to go for local or Omega RSC? Any experiences and thoughts much appreciated!

Lotus_Eater8815 likes this.
  2. Lotus_Eater8815 Oct 30, 2019

I hear you on paring down the collection and focusing on enjoying just a few pieces that fit your general lifestyle. If you don’t mind the co-axial tech, a blue dial Globemaster on bracelet or the Railmaster LE would probably go nice with what you have now. Speed, Sea, and Globe and/or Rail masters. :)

Have no experience with Omega SC, but I suspect you can pretty much ask them for anything as to the level of polish on your watch. If costs were the same, I would probably choose the SC over the independent unless the latter is the more convenient option (location, transaction history, and trustworthiness).

Part of owning and maintaining a watch is finding and having a particularly trusted watchmaker who can do the things you want for you, whether they work at the SC or are independent.

EDIT: welcome to the forum and congrats on those two beautiful pieces! Its the first time I’ve heard somebody choose a 2254 over a Rsub. Sounds like you’ll fit right in!

3. scapa Oct 30, 2019

A very nice 2-piece collection -- congrats on your discernment and your restraint!

I have the same Sub and have similar feelings about it -- just don't enjoy the watch like I'd hoped and my wife sings "Wide Boy"on the (very) rare occasions that I do wear it. It lives now in a safe-deposit box until it's handed down or sold off.

We only live in the UK for part of the year now, but I've heard good things (and not so good things) about the Omega RSC. I do know Barrett's of Tavistock, and actually bought my first-ever Omega there, and had excellent service. Not sure you'd lose out by having it done locally and closer to your watchful eye, as it were.

Lotus_Eater8815 likes this.
  4. mikekchc Dec 3, 2019

I am envious that you are so good and are considering pairing down your collection! I’ve been trying to do that for years and haven’t been successful. The 2254 is amazing, i love it.

I agree with @Lotus_Eater8815 and suggest the globemaster, or a dressier watch. Have you considered a GS?

5. gpssti4 Dec 3, 2019

Great choice. I also have a Speedy and a 2254 (actually it’s a 2054 with the Bond bracelet but I wear it mostly on the Speedy style bracelet!)

Have you thought about something vintage - maybe something more dressy like a gold Constellation etc

6. Strangedream Dec 3, 2019

Going for quality instead of quantity is always a wise choice. Nice collection! If I were you I'd go for a classic Railmaster only for the sake of completing the "master" trilogy.

Never had personal experience with Omega SC, but I know local watchmakers seldom have spare parts. I'd expect Omega SC to give you longer waiting time though.

7. 3rdstringholder Dec 4, 2019

Kind of late to the thread on this one, you may have already made the Submariner go away. If you haven't, however, just make certain it's not for you before selling. They are hard to attain new and overpriced used and through grey. Not a Rolex fan boy by the way, own a couple of Omega. On a side note, I don't think you mean Omega RSC. RSC stands for Rolex Service Center.

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 6, 2019

Omega will refinish the case and bracelet to as close to new condition as possible and they do not have a reputation for screwing up modern watches... just making the collectors on the vintage forum froth at the mouth. They hate Omega service and are quite vocal about it.

When I still owned a Speedmaster (sold it for a 2254!), I sent it to Omega service a couple of times and it always came back looking good. You have nothing to worry about from that perspective, and think... if they messed up refinishing, they'd just replace the part and not charge you for it.

Tom

9. mjb Dec 6, 2019

The other perspective is that right now they are difficult to obtain and overpriced, which makes it a great time if you are selling.

As for the previous gen SPMc I had one (in black) and although that flat face has interests not easily photographed (like a kind of hologram thing going on) it was, for me, a bit bland compared to the typical wave motif that most of us Omega fans like.

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 6, 2019

The number of 2254.50 lovers on multiple forums might get you to change "most" for "many" or "some". I certainly care nothing about waves.

Tom