Forums Latest Members
  1. philo Apr 21, 2015

Hello,

my name is Phil, I'm from Germany and no native English speaker. Please, pardon me orthographic mistakes - I will try not to make too many of them.

I have had an interest in vintage clocks, cars, record players and cameras since I can remember. Over vintage fireplace clocks I went to collect vintage alarm clocks and then started with vintage wrist watches.

I have collected quite a few vintage Omegas now but I'm still missing an information source besides some old sales catalogs.

This topic regards a Seamaster Cosmic 2000 date (caliber 1012) in a 166.128 stainless case, with darkblue dial and darkblue strap. The clock has been worn very rarely and shows a nice condition.

Unfortunately, there are a few problems with the soft parts.

The original 20mm blue sued wrist strap - the variation with the wholes punched into it - started to deteriorate. It crumbles and stains everything darkblue. I could go with a vintage stainless bracelet but maybe someone can tell me if there is any source for blue sued straps that come close to the original.

The rubber o-ring (softrubber gasket 088.0802) became liquid and stopped holding the capsule in the frame. I'm not able to measure pudding and have not found any shop on the internet selling a 'Cosmic 2000 o-ring' or '088.0802'. Can you tell me the exact measurements of that o-ring?

The Tritium started to damage the dial. I will find someone local to restore that but are there are hard/plastic gaskets inside the capsule. Are those still available somewhere or can they by reused after they have been disassembled once? It's 198.0008ZT for the back and the part's number for the front gasket (glass) is still unknown to me, yet.

Thank you very much for any hint and information!

With kind regards
    Phil

Edited Apr 21, 2015
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 21, 2015

Post some pictures of the strap and watch for the most help.

Not to sure on the strap but any watchmaker with a Omega parts account should be able to do the rest with a service for not that much.

A watchmaker on board might be able to help out ( Al will probably chime in but no need to call him every-time )

philo likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 21, 2015

The 088NS0802 is discontinued and replaced by 088NS5083, SEAL O-RING D31 D32.6 Ø0.8.

Any hard plastic compression style gasket should be replaced once the crystal, case back, or whatever it's holding in place has been removed. These are single use gaskets and will not hold properly once they are deformed initially.

The crystal gasket is 098EW0006, and the other one is 198ZT0008 as you know - they are still available from Omega.

Cheers, Al

philo and STANDY like this.
  4. philo Apr 22, 2015

Thank you very much for your great help!

I forgot one question, was there a seal at the crown once? I can't see any trace of one.

Here some pictures straight from the opening, nothing cleaned yet besides the o-ring that turned into gum.

Sued with deteriorating surface. I have seen two other Cosmic 2000 watches with these straps, one had this problem, too.
    [​IMG]

The o-ring helds these two parts together:
    [​IMG]

Dial damaged by Tritium, some dots are quite off-centered anyway and their seizes differ a bit. I'm not that sure if they might got replaced already at some point. The hands still show a nice greenish glow, the dots don't do anything at all.
    [​IMG]

1012 runs without problems but hasn't been serviced in decades. It doesn't seem to have been used a lot, though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greetings
    Phil