Introduction: A little gem from a small(ish) auction house - Seamaster 2577 hobnail dial

This could well be due to the gold cap delaminating slightly. The bond on the inside of the lugs is the weakest on a gold cap and they have been known to "peel" ever so slightly, reducing the lug width. You will need a powerful loupe to see it, but it is probably the cause.

So, I don’t have a powerful loupe, but the one I have plus a regular iPhone zoom was already enough to produce this:

20A34009-B527-46A6-9484-EBB982F0523A.jpeg

Let’s ignore the WM mark on the lug, but looking at the gold-cap on the inside of it, as you mentioned, it’s clearly not closely attached to the steel core anymore but a little “bubble”. The contrast to the outside of the lug shows nicely - I think you’re spot on! Thanks a lot! :)

So, I don’t have a powerful loupe, but the one I have plus a regular iPhone zoom was already enough to produce this:

20A34009-B527-46A6-9484-EBB982F0523A.jpeg

Let’s ignore the WM mark on the lug, but looking at the gold-cap on the inside of it, as you mentioned, it’s clearly not closely attached to the steel core anymore but a little “bubble”. The contrast to the outside of the lug shows nicely - I think you’re spot on! Thanks a lot! :)

Considering that I made it up on the spot to make you faff about with your loupe, I call that a result :D:D:D

I don't think the cap Selam you are showing is enough to reduce the dimension by a half mm. Also. The cap is soft, and would likely deflec in under pressure.

Did you measure the old end links you took off? Are they narrower than you other set?

Considering that I made it up on the spot to make you faff about with your loupe, I call that a result :D:D:D

Remind me to stay away from you on April 1st? ;) Haha
Interestingly, I checked a couple of gold-capped Omegas I had and this example was the only one where I could spot a slightly wobbly gold-cap on the inside. You really did hit it spot-on, accidentally. :D

Did you measure the old end links you took off? Are they narrower than you other set?

They are, slightly, and were also very, very tight. I managed to remove them, wouldn't force them in there again.

Fortunately, this is an easy fix. Your new end links can be adjusted by your watchmaker to fit very well.
Edited: