Introducing: The New Omega Speedmaster Dark Side Of The Moon Apollo 8 — Featuring The...

Took me some time to find the difference between this one and the previous Apollo 8. Disappointing. Another modern omega that won’t make it to my wish list.

your post really helps demonstrate the different "demographics" being targeted here: The people that absolutely love the timeless speedy pro look think that the tin tin and other limited editions, which make fairly minor changes to the Speedy- as you said "nothing special but a different dial", are THE watches to own. Meanwhile, there's a whole other demographic that wants to see a modern omega lineup. I have to agree with @Evitzee that this watch targets and probably appeals quite well to those that aren't attracted to Omega's vintage designs.

The other issue here is going to be size. I'm 6'2" and have a slightly over 7" wrist, and I think anything much over 43mm is pushing it. I've largely always thought that even when I wasn't thinking about it. Another reason this watch is just plain not targeting me- It's targeting the "larger, sportier watch" demographic. I think that's totally fine and I'd love to see one in person (perhaps my stance would change).

I do like some of the retro-vintage designs that omega has come up with (obviously my omega of choice right now is the Summer blue heritage) and I appreciate that not everyone likes those. When it comes to the speedy though, for me it really is an icon representative of the 1960s, the space race, NASA- so much more than that. THIS Apollo 8 is not a moonwatch- and that's fine- but this community is probably ~75% "omega means speedy, and oh I think they make a seamaster line that looks ok, right?" these modern-modern designs aren't going to appeal to most people here.

that's ok- it's awesome that omega is sucking in a new demographic, and it doesn't take away from what the vintage crowd has.

I don't know why everyone is hating on a revised Apollo 8. It's one of the best watches Omega has ever made IMO and I'm glad they made it better instead of having second-hand prices skyrocket to make it unattainable for regular people like the older Moon to Mars or TinTin, when those are nothing special but a different dial.

The Apollo 8 is one of those watches that feels like it should be more expensive than it actually is. If Rolex, AP, or Patek did something like this, it would be over 6 figures in price-- guaranteed. It's a 10/10 in my book and I would buy it again (the new version) once the price settles down. The rubber strap is probably the biggest upgrade to it from a daily wearer's perspective. The little rocket and updated case shape are just extra goodies from their discontinuation of non-METAS movements.

Not sure why those who haven't tried it on are complaining about the size.... it wears smaller than a modern 42mm Seamaster 300. Pretty much the same thickness too, but much lighter.

I don't know why everyone is hating on a revised Apollo 8. It's one of the best watches Omega has ever made IMO...

I also think your Apollo 8 is one of the most innovative designs in any watch plus in the top ten of any Speedmaster.

Not caring for the new 2024 version shouldn't reflect badly on the original A8.

Just speaking for myself, I couldn't warm up to the ceramic case, but do appreciate it as a design element.

The A8 is a fabulous watch. It's baby brother, not as much.

I like the tiny rocket. That’s all I got. 😀

the Saturn 5 rocket on the seconds subdial is a cool touch.....but that $14.3K price is just out of my reach nowadays....perhaps Omega needs to develop a meca-quartz movement to bring those prices down & offer a variant normal folks can afford in the future....

I suppose that people want new watches to have that new spirate movement instead of the "old" 3861? Especially if they cost 15K

Was thinking the same thing - would've thought this would be the perfect next model for the spirate.

Was thinking the same thing - would've thought this would be the perfect next model for the spirate.

I also thought the yellow was a tie-in/hint to spirate

your post really helps demonstrate the different "demographics" being targeted here: The people that absolutely love the timeless speedy pro look think that the tin tin and other limited editions, which make fairly minor changes to the Speedy- as you said "nothing special but a different dial", are THE watches to own. Meanwhile, there's a whole other demographic that wants to see a modern omega lineup. I have to agree with @Evitzee that this watch targets and probably appeals quite well to those that aren't attracted to Omega's vintage designs.

The other issue here is going to be size. I'm 6'2" and have a slightly over 7" wrist, and I think anything much over 43mm is pushing it. I've largely always thought that even when I wasn't thinking about it. Another reason this watch is just plain not targeting me- It's targeting the "larger, sportier watch" demographic. I think that's totally fine and I'd love to see one in person (perhaps my stance would change).

I do like some of the retro-vintage designs that omega has come up with (obviously my omega of choice right now is the Summer blue heritage) and I appreciate that not everyone likes those. When it comes to the speedy though, for me it really is an icon representative of the 1960s, the space race, NASA- so much more than that. THIS Apollo 8 is not a moonwatch- and that's fine- but this community is probably ~75% "omega means speedy, and oh I think they make a seamaster line that looks ok, right?" these modern-modern designs aren't going to appeal to most people here.

that's ok- it's awesome that omega is sucking in a new demographic, and it doesn't take away from what the vintage crowd has.

HOW DARE YOU NOT CALL THIS THE MOONWATCH!!! The Apollo 8 DSotM was, in fact, one of the very first watches on the moon. I will attach proof and await your apology as your next post.

Here are actual photos from NASA, 1969, colorized:

Pathetic and zero Omega involvement for the public, you know..the buyers who they want to pay 15k
Epic disappointment
Edited:

I’m underwhelmed. Sure some of the fine detailing made possible by laser ablation is neat, but the size and price will keep this piece very niche.

My guess is that Omega lost money in the original Apollo 8 watches. This is an attempt to correct that.
I’d bite at 40 or 42mm.

Omega-Speedmaster-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-Apollo-8-V2-22.jpg
In 2018, Omega introduced the Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8 for the 50th anniversary of the mission where astronauts saw the other side of the Moon for the first time. Now it’s 2024, and that watch gets an update, kicking off what we expect to be a great year for Speedy lovers. […]

Visit Introducing: The New Omega Speedmaster Dark Side Of The Moon Apollo 8 — Featuring The Saturn V Rocket to read the full article.
"Long you live and high you fly
and money you'll give and tears you'll cry
and all you touch and all you see
is all this Swatch will ever be"

"RUN RABBIT RUN
keep your 14k and wait for another one"