Forums Latest Members
  1. seekingseaquest Jan 22, 2018

First (well, second) post. Thank you OF for the space and members for the wisdom. I've been a reader for a couple years now, and I'm happy to have finally joined and contributed (if you call this contributing). For those curious, I have a small collection, favorites including a mid-70s Longines Conquest, a late-60s Longines Ultra Chron, a manual wind Movado Turler dial, and the below Seamaster.

Now.. on to the point. I would like to get your opinion on the originality of the below Seamaster which I recently picked up off eBay. I'm particularly curious about the dial. Any info on potential movement caliber and case reference would be helpful as well, although I'll bring it to a watchmaker at some point.

Here are my primary questions..
    dial - is it original? Here's what I know - the two-tone dial is in good condition with some patina, there is lume on both the hands and the indices and it appears to have a similar color, the hands seem to be original judging by the length (and lume), the tick-marks seem to be evenly spaced, the Seamaster logo looks good except seems to be a pretty uncommon font (coat hanger S w/ flat top), "SWISS MADE" is present below 6. My biggest concern is with the "AUTOMATIC" font - it seems to be a thinner font than I'm used to seeing. Hopefully three photos in slightly different lighting will help..
    movement - unknown full-rotor, I assume cal 500/501
    case - unknown reference
    crown - non-original (Constellation?)
    year - I assume mid-to-late 50s

Seamaster Dial 1.PNG
    Seamaster Dial 2.PNG
    Seamaster Dial 3.PNG
    Seamaster Side.PNG
    Seamaster Back.PNG

craigbythesea and mikechi22 like this.
  2. mikechi22 Jan 22, 2018

I’m no expert, but it surely looks real to me!

Welcome to the Forum - it’s a great group as you’ve no doubt already gleaned! Impressive that you’ve picked up on the cultural norms of doing some research and sharing your conclusions; posting an avatar. You’re already a good OF citizen right out of the blocks!