Forums Latest Members
  1. skipper Mar 25, 2013

Hi, greetings all. Whilst I'm already a member of another well known forum with an Omega 'section', since I sold my 5 year old Speedy Pro, my remaining Omega's are firmly in the vintage category, hence my desire to participate in a more vintage specific sub-forum.

Models range from an old '40s sub second 30T2 through to a '65 Speedy, with a couple of other old timers in between.

Right, my first post (proper) surrounds Omega's no. 6 end pieces. Sitting in front of me right now is a one owner 7912 (4 64) with no. 6 end pieces - I'll call these the 64's from now on. Next to it is the watch it came on, a 105.003-64. Alongside these is the 105.003-65, with its 1035 (1 67) band and no. 6 end pieces - I'll call these end pieces the 67's.

Upon closer examination (under a 10 x loupe), there are a couple of (very) small differences and one slightly more obvious one. The obvious one first, on the inside curvature of the 64's there are two slightly raised straight lines about 10mm apart, that simply look like the reverse side of the pressing that you can see when viewing the EP's from above, i.e. where the brushed central part of the EP blends into the two polished outer sections.

The 67's by contrast, do not have the raised lines on the inside curvature, though there are the (smaller) indentations on the top of the EP, between the brushed centre section and the polished outer sections.

The profile of the rounded 'corner' and the right angle corner section immediately below it (right next to the no. 6) are also very slightly different.

So, my question is, did the fine detail design of the no. 6 end piece vary according to which band they were put with, or perhaps change slightly over the years production, or could there have been marginal differences based on different suppliers etc? Or... is somebody already producing very good replicas? Both the 64 & 67 EP's measure approx 18.75mm, so designed for 19mm lugs, and both sets look absolutely right with their corresponding bands i.e. the 7912 and the 1035. Fit around the 19mm straight lug cases is also very good. Here are some pics to illustrate the point, the 64's first and then the 67's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

Welcome Skipper - that's a very good question !

3. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 25, 2013

I'm having trouble seeing what u are talking about raised lines and corners.
    Could you circle with Photoshop or something?
    Interested

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

More likely variations between different suppliers. Differences (sometimes not so slight) have been seen in several instances when they were supposed to be identical - the 2576 case is a classic example with huge differences in for example lug sizes between what should be the same case. The same can be said for speedmaster cases (ref. 105.012 being a good example) and it goes on and on.