Forums Latest Members

Interesting venture.... artisan watches and marine chronometers.

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 16, 2016

Something I've been meaning to flag for a while.... as I thought it was a worthy and interesting horological venture.

A longtime member and seasoned collector on the Italian forum Orologi & Passioni, Sante_Castig, has engaged in a project to create watches inspired by marine chronometers. They are beautifully crafted art objects.

I particularly like his explanation as to what prompted the project.... the sense that the materials used for most watches, steel and glass, lack the warmth and sense of adventure that transpires from marine chronometers, mahogany, and brass. So he decided, why not make watches out of mahogany and brass?

Each example uses a vintage movement /dial combination, and is named after a writer or an actor or a character who embodies some sort of a myth.

I also really like the combination of materials, and the look, in turn industrial or art deco.

More pics and details are on O&P, http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=72980369
    Also,
    www.santecastignaniwatches.com/
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON4tzxgje4

I hope it's not contrary to forum policy to post those links for those who would like to find out more, I will let mods chime in if needed. (and have no personal stake in the venture).

Best regards,
    S

Edited Dec 16, 2016
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 16, 2016

I certainly am fond of artisan watches. These are not to my taste but I enjoyed checking them out. Thanks for posting.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 16, 2016

Certainly not my tastes at all, and the antique wooden ruler collectors will up in arms over some of those...

Mark020 likes this.
  4. Rman Dec 16, 2016

Very steampunk.
    Vianney Halter does a lot more for me without the need for wood.

bags1971 likes this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 16, 2016

Hey @Larry S, glad you enjoyed finding out about them.

They do remind me of adventure novels and Leonardo Da Vinci, and I find there's poetry in them, even if for sure not everyone's taste is the same.......

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 16, 2016

Steam Punk. like Vorticwatches.com

Syrte likes this.
  7. b-16707 Dec 16, 2016

steampunk as mentioned for sure. I never knew such watches existed (eyes opened!). Pretty cool.

Syrte likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 16, 2016

Damn, @Archer that wooden ruler one was my favorite. I hope no one hears about it on the ruler collectors' forum.

Am afraid I don't know what "steampunk" means... I'll have to check Vorticwatches.

As for Vianney Halter, I can sense how one of his models might have a similar source of inspiration, but for sure the materials create a different feel.
    (Edit... and I imagine the price ranges must be considerably different too).

Edited Dec 16, 2016
  9. Rman Dec 16, 2016

Steampunk is a sci-fi-ish kind of salvaged industrial Victorian aesthetic.
    If you haven't seen City of Lost Children I highly recommend it.:thumbsup:

Syrte likes this.
  10. Rman Dec 16, 2016

This is what reminded me of your post.
    IMG_4465.PNG

IMG_4465.PNG
    Syrte likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 16, 2016

Got it, very elequently put-- Sante Castig's watches reminded me of a French graphic novel series set in Paris around the 1900's, with mysteries around the Eiffel tower, the Louvre and the Museum of Natural History, also as you say with a Victorian industrial aesthetic.

But the curved wood surfaces to me evoke Key Largo, or rather on Key West that 1930s hotel that with art deco wood panelling and fans which still stands on the south western tip of the island, and where I imagine Hemingway sipping on some cuban cocktail in near tropical heat ....

12. Rman Dec 16, 2016

He sipped rum, Luxardo and grapefruit juice.
    It is quite nice, and it's said he put down quite a few in a day.

Syrte likes this.
  13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 16, 2016

Just did an image search on "steampunk wristwatches" and leaving out the Oulm style monstrosities, there are some interesting design ideas to be found. Mostly impractical for daily wearers though (unless you're a character from an H.G. Wells or Jules Verne novel) :cool:

Syrte likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 16, 2016

What I'm finding through Google is quite different from the ones posted here, and mostly quite horrid indeed...

15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 16, 2016

Further to my previous post, I've just taken an image trip from steampunk through cyberpunk to cybergoth. My brain hurts and I'm going to bed :taunt:

Syrte likes this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 16, 2016

Jules Verne is Steam Punk. Best definition.

17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 12, 2017

18. michael22 May 12, 2017

I wouldn't call the Castignani watches steam punk, they are too clean & elegant. They remind me more of the era between the wars.
    Interesting way of utilising an old movement, where the case is unsalvageable.

What are his prices like, ballpark?

19. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 12, 2017

Very nice, I like them a lot

Syrte likes this.
  20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 13, 2017

I don't know because the ones I liked most so far are too wide for my very tiny wrist, but his email address is on his website and he's also on Instagram at @santecastignaniwatches.

michael22 likes this.