Forums Latest Members
  1. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 10, 2019

2. Phlardge Sep 11, 2019

I think yes, there are certainly misconceptions about horology as a hobby, but at the same time, the answer to that Quora question just came off as snobby. I think when I first got into watches years back (still new to it all!), I would aggressively explain why I loved watches and it only deterred people from the hobby. It's hard to take people seriously who overjustify and trying to make watch purchases seem utterly rational. In the end, watches are an irrational hobby, and a lovely one at that. It's an outlet for passion and sharing amongst enthusiasts, but arcane words and reference numbers doesn't do much to interest people. I treat the hobby as something fun, and if people are interested I'll share more, but I certainly won't jump down other peoples' throats.

MikiJ, Nathan1967 and Benbradstock like this.
  3. KingCrouchy Sep 12, 2019

I don't really like the way it's written. It sounds arrogant and a bit from the top. A lot of what makes Watches such an interesting hobby, is based on emotional parts. If other thinks the hobby is foolish, that's fine. I don't care, and enjoy my pieces. No need to try to convince them while feeling superior.

Edited Sep 12, 2019
    Dsloan likes this.