Forums Latest Members

Interesting Article from Watch Guy

1. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Aug 24, 2015

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 24, 2015

I just did as one of the commenters did and sent Swatch Group a message through the contact form the article links to saying that I'm not supportive of this policy.... FWIW.

The one positive bit for me was that this policy is described as less likely to affect vintage. I doubt that with regards to 321's, but there are options I suppose. The policy appears to affect newer watch owners more immediately as parts for those watches would never have made it out to the market.

Regardless, time for another stock up order from Ofrei.

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 25, 2015

Watch guy - UK seems like such a cool guy. His name is Christian, yes?

4. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 25, 2015

Pahawi and citizenrich like this.
  5. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 25, 2015

There has been a lot of discussion about this topic everywhere, on forums, in the BHI Horological Journal, at AWCI in the USA, etc...we have known that it was coming for many years, and now it's here.

I think that the decision by Swatch group and many other Swiss watch manufacturing companies who think this is a good idea are fooling themselves.

It's important to remember that despite what the official word is (wanting to maintain quality, which is BS as we all know) these companies are first and foremost watch Manufacturers, they are in the business of making and selling watches, they are not in the business of repair or servicing watches. I can see that the noose will tighten around the independent approved repair shops, to the point that they too will vanish, so that all that will remain is the Manufacturers service centres.

It will backfire, maybe not this year or the next, but the final outcome will be negative for the Swiss watch industry. Not that long ago the UK was the leader in clock/watch manufacturing, and so was the USA for a while, today, neither of these countries has much watch manufacturing to speak of, there is a lesson there that the Swiss are ignoring by their arrogance.

Lets not forget what is coming our of China, PTS Resources and Seagull produce some amazing watches, they are going take over where the Swiss have failed.

As for me, I focus on anything other than Swatch if possible, and I am getting to the point that I am simply going to refuse work on any Swatch product, forcing the customers to go the Approved Service Centre route, with the months and months of waiting, and the high prices, and in the case of vintage pieces, outright refusal to work on the watch, it's my way of turning the tables on the Swiss. I know it's a small effort, but if every independent watchmaker did this, in no time would the Swiss service centres be overloaded with work, the backlog would increase, customers would complain and want answers, and then it would force something to happen. Maybe it would even make the news outside of the watch industry, that it a big problem right now, it's only news to us, not the customers out there where it really matters.

Sending more messages to Swatch is a waste I believe, BHI and the CEHAR have taken them to the EU court - twice - and lost both times, the decision has been made and no one is going to reverse it.

I think the solution is for someone to set up and start offering aftermarket parts, just like in the automotive industry, ignore the Swiss, find an in-house solution.

BHI Certified Professional Watchmaker
    www.roberthoran.eu

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Aug 25, 2015

Unsure of this. Where I live, automobile dealerships make most (nearly all!) of their money from aftermarket sales and repairs - I doubt that it is much different in other businesses.

Sell a man a disposable watch dearly and you'll make a pretty high profit. Once.
    Sell a man a quality watch and make a reasonable profit. Once. And add a lifetime of servicing and repairs income on top of that.

7. Mitka Aug 25, 2015

Not to mention his super duper cool apprentice Mitka;)

8. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 25, 2015

Yes, and that was the case in the watch manufacturing industry, it's not anymore.

The watch manufacturers sold to the High Street independent Jewellery/watch shops (like your local auto dealership, which is independently owned), the independent shop could make a profit, and then when it came to servicing, the independent watchmaker could also make a profit. Everyone made a small profit and the money went round...

That is not the situation with the Swiss Cartel. They have their own "Boutique" shops, owned and operated by the manufacturer, they have cut out the independent High Street Jeweller/watch sellers, and now they are also cutting out the independent watchmaker.

So whereas your local car dealership is independently owned and operated, he sells cars, makes a profit, then services and carries out warranty work and makes more profit, the Swiss are keeping all the profits to themselves, sales, warranty, and after sales servicing. And don't forget to add in that many car dealerships also offer OEM parts for repairs, or aftermarket as well, imagine the Swiss doing that? not likely...

9. ConElPueblo Aug 25, 2015

The trend in the automobile industry is just as I outlined - there are fewer truly independent dealerships and manufacturers/importers control more and more. I see a direct analogy between the two.

10. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 25, 2015

Interesting, that is not the case in Canada where I just moved from, nor here in France, the dealerships are owned by individuals, with their names attached to the dealership, for example:

O'Regan's Mercedes, Pautard Loisiers (camping car dealership), etc...

11. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Aug 25, 2015

The more and more I think about this, the worse this idea seems.
    I get that Swatch doesn't want their movements put into a cheep watch sold at Walmart, but to limit the supply of parts to only the AD isn't their ultimate goal. It is clearly to get all repairs back to Switzerland. To that end, they can dictate what you have repaired.
    I took an Omega, 1949, to the local AD ( before I knew to use a watchmaker ) to have some dirt removed from between the crystal and dial. Again just needed some dirt removed. They told me it had to go to omega in Switzerland, and it would cost $930! Omega wouldn't just do what I wanted, they were going to do what they wanted, or nothing at all.
    I'm not sure I would call this blackmail like Christian does, but I would call it foolish, and any educated consumer should think twice before purchasing from Swatch. Who wanted to drop 6K on a watch only to be held hostage by Swatch for repair?
    Now that I think about it, blackmail sounds right.

12. Tritium Aug 25, 2015

Recently Rolex Awarded:p