Forums Latest Members
  1. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 8, 2016

After getting my feet wet with Omega and Longines, I thought it might be worth a try to dip into Universal Geneves. Looking at this simple model with a linen dial here with a Cal 42 in it. I understand that it's a replacement crown, but knowing me, if I get the watch I'll just find a signed one. While it looks fine to me, particularly with the edges, what do others think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rman Sep 8, 2016

Does it call to you?

3. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 9, 2016

It certainly does :) Whilst I firmly believe in "Buy what you like," I also wanted to see if people would say "Oh, it's not a Polerouter/Tri-Compax so don't get it..."

4. Jonatan Sep 9, 2016

It's not a Polerouter/Tri-Compax but I still think you should get it. My Universal Geneve collection is made up of time only watches, some Polerouters but many mechanical watches also.

Polerouters are beautiful complicated liked creatures. I just two of them serviced, and they need to go to another more competent person since I can hear the rotor grinding on the case back. From this experience, I tend to go towards mechanical watches or bumper automatic these days. Easier to service.

For your watch:

The linen dial is attractive, case and movement look clean. If the price is right and you think you'll enjoy it, go for it. Finding a replacement crown might not be very easy, but it can also add to the fun.

My two cents.

Jonatan

Vitezi likes this.
  5. Carlton-Browne Sep 9, 2016

It's a franken watch with a UG hand-wind caliber fitted into a (also UG) Unisonic case. I have this case with a slate grey dial.

[​IMG]

I would avoid this like the plague. If you want the case shape then I'd hold out for a Unisonic - there is a particularly fantabulous version with a sunburst dial and the sunburst radiates from the 6 marker. If you want a mechanical movement then hold out as these do come up with a linen dial - I've got one.
    [​IMG]

6. Jonatan Sep 9, 2016

For learning purposes, with so many UG models, how can you be sure that this is a Franken? Could they have used the same case for different models?

7. gop76 Sep 9, 2016

It's not hard for me to believe that, at the time and with UG in pre bankruptcy, the same case was used for different models.

What makes me a little cautious about this one is the wide plastic ring around the movement, I do not think it was something that UG did, even in its most difficult times

8. Jonatan Sep 9, 2016

Yes and also some missing screws. I guess the ring indicates that the movement was smaller than the case and empty screw holes because nowhere to screw in.

9. Carlton-Browne Sep 9, 2016

It's a good question. It's based on several years of empirical Ebay research; I've only ever seen a Unisonic movement in that case (though I also have a nagging feeling I might have seen one Uniquartz). The rather crude plastic spacer reinforces my assertion; if this was from the very last days of quartz movements in two-tone cases I'd accept the spacer as conceivably original but not from the 70s.

My guess is that the mechanical movement probably came out of either a scrapped gold case or a worn plated one and the movement in the Unisonic was probably deemed too difficult or economical to repair. I'll admit this as a flight of fancy, however.

GuiltyBoomerang and Jonatan like this.
  10. Jonatan Sep 9, 2016

Yes, I think you're right. Everything is falling into place. :)Well it seems anyway.

11. Carlton-Browne Sep 9, 2016

We all know that, with UG, it can be difficult to never say never. We don't have that many primary sources and indeed primary sources, particularly manufacturer's adverts, can only prove that UG did actually make one variation and can never be used to prove that they never did a different one.

For the benefit of the OP here's a little more information on the watches I've posted pictures of.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?161319-Universal-Geneve-grey-dialled-hummer-back-from-the-spa

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ver-linen-dial-Universal-Gen%E8ve-rather-slim
    And post no 11 on this thread has an example of the sunburst dial I was talking about - it's a beauty.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...sal-Unisonic-can-anyone-tell-me-more-about-it

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  12. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 9, 2016

13. Jonatan Sep 9, 2016

Yes and this just proves that we have got to be even more careful. I would have never thought that a 100-300$ watch could be a Franken.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  14. Carlton-Browne Sep 12, 2016

Just a quick note to say that I've fixed the broken picture links from one of the threads that I've quoted - apologies :oops:. On further reflection I'm also not happy with the fit of the dial in the case as posted by the OP. I think my pictures of the grey-dialled Unisonic show how good the fit should be if you don't use a sodding great plastic spacer.

Edited Sep 21, 2016
  15. Carlton-Browne Sep 21, 2016

Jonatan and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  16. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 21, 2016

Ah, now that looks good :) Might have a ping on this! Thanks Carlton :)

17. Carlton-Browne Nov 30, 2016