Forums Latest Members
  1. keepschanging Nov 24, 2017

2. calalum Nov 24, 2017

If it is something desirable and the estimate seems too low, then it probably is too low. I have picked up some low key pieces at auctions at rational prices that has been rare.

3. DON Nov 24, 2017

Depends on what your bidding on. Common watches will sell for maybe low est. if readily available on the open market.

Less common high or above est. (again) depending on condition.

Also take into consideration the auction house fees. You also need to find a shipper to pick up watch. Not sure the house arranges that, but best to email/call and ask.

No harm in bidding up to your limit and dropping out. Just don't get caught up and over pay

DON

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 24, 2017

There is a 50% precent chance they might go at prices close to the estimate and a 50% chance they may not.
    Hope this helps....:p

5. Edward53 Nov 24, 2017

Those Hublots are truly hideous, and WTF is the point of that Cartier Crash!

marco likes this.
  6. keepschanging Nov 24, 2017

Not totally hopeless it seems...Now you’ve gotten me excited!

Yeah I’m bidding on those Hublots, love them.

Just kidding ;)

7. SgWatchBaron Nov 24, 2017

Good luck. First step is getting thru me. :cool:

watchknut likes this.
  8. Dogmann Nov 24, 2017

Hi all
    Those are some of the worst low estimates I have seen for many well know watches and I would be truly shocked and amazed if many of them sold anywhere near the low estimates. Also if you look at the 2 Speedmaster Moonpahse watches up for auction they both state 2010 for year of being made yet both have T SWISS T dials how is that psooible? Anyone have a clue as to what is going on there?

Marc

Edited Nov 24, 2017
  9. repoman Nov 24, 2017

I have limited experience bidding at auction, but have managed to be a high bidder at the low end of an estimate. Low end estimates are typically where the reserve price is. My advice is decide what your max bid is, don't get caught up in the emotion of the auction, and hold your bids until the auctioneer looks ready to gavel.

10. Ninja2789 Nov 24, 2017

man . . . so many Hublots . . . .

I'm never really sure how to feel about bidding on auction items. I feel there are all these incremental costs (buyer's premium, finding a shipper, letting emotions run away, paying local/VAT taxes if in the city). On top of that, there's been numerous examples of auction houses pushing what are non-original watches and you wonder why even bother with it.

marco likes this.