Forums Latest Members
  1. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Nov 2, 2016

I'd like to clean the bracelets on my watches. Do I simply have to remove the screws, clean the bracelets, and re-screw the screws? Or are there tiny springs or anything else that I'd be sure to break or lose in there?

IMG_2871.JPG

2. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Nov 3, 2016

@JimInOz, per your subtitle, any advice? (I won't be using the dishwasher though.)

Jwit likes this.
  3. redpcar Nov 3, 2016

Do the big one first. ::popcorn::

Seriously, do some research first. Maybe some youtube videos or take them to a watchmaker and ask to watch then practice on a junker.

ahartfie likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 3, 2016

Without seeing the back of the watch where the bracelet attaches I couldn't say for sure.

Once they are off you can use WD40 and a soft brush to clean any gunk out of the gaps and then into an ultrasonic cleaner to remove any WD40 and residue and then dry with a microfibre cloth.

If you don't have an ultrasonic you can just wash under hot water using dish wash liquid and a soft brush. Use a large kitchen sieve as a work bowl, that way if there are any bits that come loose they stay in the sieve and do't go down the drain.

Bracelet Cleaning.JPG

adi4, roryoc11, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  5. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Nov 3, 2016

Red, I think you may have misunderstood that I just want to clean the bracelets, not the watches. :) I know better than that! But the YouTubing is a good idea so I will check that out.

Jim, also good advice; thanks.

6. redpcar Nov 3, 2016

I understood. At best, I am a hack, wannabe watchmaker (non-profit). Removing bracelets will not damage your movement but you can do damage in the form of case scratches. You have beautiful watches. Digging, exploring, prying, etc, will bend and scratch prized watches.....errr.....timepieces.

ahartfie likes this.
  7. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 26, 2017

I finally worked up the courage to try but I could only get one of the screws out. I don't want to use too much force so I will leave the other half to my watchmaker. I'm letting it dry overnight before reassembly.

IMG_4140.JPG IMG_4146.JPG IMG_4147.JPG IMG_4148.JPG

I do detect a slight difference.

Spacefruit and jimmyd13 like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 26, 2017

:thumbsup:

You could probably get the screw out by squirting some WD40 or Penetrine into a bottle cap or similar and then use a toothpick to place a drop or two of the fluid into the screw hole and at each of the four points on the back of the bracelet. Leave for 24 hours and try again.

Make sure your screwdriver is the right size by checking it against the screw you removed.

If it's still too tight, off to the watchmaker.

Good luck with it.

ahartfie likes this.
  9. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 9, 2017

Tried letting some WD40 sit but that didn't help. My watchmaker was able to remove the screw so I was able to clean the other half of the bracelet and its socket. I sure hope all this DNA wasn't from only my 3.5 years of ownership!

Chunky funky water! Yuck.
    IMG_4391.JPG

The socket before cleaning. Yuck again.
    IMG_4410.JPG

Makeshift work platform.
    IMG_4411.JPG

She lives! How I missed her face.
    IMG_4412.JPG

I had several moments of pure panic when I couldn't find the screw to attach the bottom half of the bracelet. I had been so careful to put it in a ziploc bag and I made sure it was in there... except it wasn't in there this morning. Then it wasn't in my pants pocket from yesterday. Finally I found it still in the bag which I had thrown out yesterday, thinking it was in a different bag (you can see two on the table).

I hope my others aren't so involved!!!

JimInOz and Spacefruit like this.
  10. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 15, 2017

The screws on my f300 wouldn't budge for me but I had success with the other two as shown. I'm letting things dry overnight before reassembly. I'm hoping that being unable to remove a springbar from one of the 1204's clasp ends won't be a problem. I think they both look much better.

IMG_4546.JPG

Paedipod and Jwit like this.
  11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 15, 2017

You know better than what? The watch needs cleaning too. I scrub whatever I am wearing, watch head and all, about once a week, more or less. I always ask the watchmaker whether anything got past the seals and he always tells me "no". If it's a modern Omega that has been cleaned within the last decade... I am not worried about a squirt of Dawn and a brush.

Cue Al to tell me I'm full of crap. :D

Tom

StrutlessWonder and ahartfie like this.
  12. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 15, 2017

Than to clean my assembled vintage watches in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I did give them each a good wipedown getting into the nooks and crannies as best I could.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 15, 2017

Much nicer :thumbsup:.

I'd suggest using a plastic bowl though, glass could possibly scratch things.

ahartfie likes this.