Insurance for water damage

Hi All,
I just joined the Omega family over Christmas with a Planet Ocean Deep Black 39.5mm - loving everything about it so far, and the most accurate mechanical watch I've owned.
There's lots of posts on this forum about water damage and insurance, but I can't find one that exactly answers my questions, so I'm trying a new thread, but apologies in advance if this was covered previously.
The watch is rated to 600m, and I want to take it out on the water, but I'm concerned about damage if by some change water gets inside. Insurance does cover complete loss or "mysterious disappearance" if a pin breaks. Some questions:
- Does anyone know the approx range of costs to repair water damage?
- I've talked to a couple of Insurance companies - my homeowner's policy (where the rest of my watches and jewelry are covered) does not cover water damage. Jewelers Mutual are not clear either way, and said any water damage would be on a "case by case" basis, which likely means it would not be covered. There's nothing in their policy that says damage is covered so long as you had a pressure test in the past 12 months. Does anyone here have insurance that definitely does cover water damage?
- The watch is covered by Omega's 5 year warranty. The warranty information that came with the watch does not mention water damage. Does anyone here have experience with water damage during the warranty period and Omega's response?
Many thanks in advance!
Ben
PS PFA...!IMG_4293.jpg
Edited:

Would you consider this type of insurance?

51D7SWrZKFL.jpg

LOL - I like it!
However, I'm a believer that if a product says it can do X, it should be able to do X, but someone needs to stand behind the product in case it doesn't perform.

From what you describe, for peace of mind, send the watch to Omega for a service, and continue to send it to Omega, and only Omega, every X years, for fresh seals and a pressure test. Then, if there's water ingress, it's Omega's problem, and you know where to send it to have them fix it for you.

From what you describe, for peace of mind, send the watch to Omega for a service, and continue to send it to Omega, and only Omega, every X years, for fresh seals and a pressure test. Then, if there's water ingress, it's Omega's problem, and you know where to send it to have them fix it for you.
Agree. Get Omega to pressure-test it every year.

I purchased a State Farm Personal Articles Policy for my watches, mainly when I got my first ceramic watch since those are incredibly expensive to repair...

My premium is about 1% of value covered per year. It covers loss, theft and damage.

Look for something similar from any other insurance agency, if you already have car or home insurance, you can probably get a multi-policy discount.

If it's a brand new watch it's covered for any water ingress. Every year have Omega do a WR test.

As stated above, it's a brand new watch and as such, covered by Omega's 5 year warranty.

But as an FYI Hodinkee Insurance covers water damage.
Edited:

Unless you’re negligent with screwing down the crowns, water won’t get in your watch. It’s individually tested for that.

I don’t see the issue here.

Thanks everyone for the responses! This is my first time with a nice dive watch (one I could just about afford to buy, but could not pay to replace), and the insurance companies I spoke to weren't giving me the answers I was expecting. It's also my first time dealing with Omega, and they weren't particularly helpful with the one other question I had. I will reach out to Hodinkee and get a copy of their policy though - that may be the perfect answer!

I mean is sending it yearly necessary? If the watch has a 5 year warranty, I would expect it to be covered for 5 years.
Water getting in a dive watch would seem like a defect/flaw and should be covered (assuming it was not caused by previous damage or misuse) right?
Service intervals are every 5 years or so. I wouldn't bother/worry about the watch until those 5 years and warranty are up, and then I'd send it in.
And then doesn't the service come with a 2 year warranty? And at that point if you are concerned, just start sending the watch back every 2 years?
These are my thoughts. If I'm mistaken about any of it someone chime in.
Because I know my Tudor has a 5 year warranty, and this is pretty much my plan as far as any potential water damage since I do intend on wearing it in the water from time to time...sort of why I bought it.

Omega writes all over its website and documentation that watches should be pressure tested once a year.

I suspect that if you get water damage due to bad gaskets and you never had it pressure tested, they may deny warranty coverage. I'm just guessing though, since I've never been in that situation before.

You want to take water insurance out on a Diver that’s rated to 600m

49B25A52-4EBF-4E58-88FF-B42BDB43637E.gif

I have a watch box for my 1000m diver….

827EEB0E-2BA0-4DDE-8BF4-1FA4BFD6521E.jpeg

Seriously, waterskied and dived for 30+ years and never had a watch leak. Seals checked and pressure tested every 2-3 years.
Have a 200m quartz Luminox diver with seals replaced after 5 years and 10 years with battery change and swam nearly everyday for those 10 years +
F066B9FF-2509-48D8-B55E-D37790D201D9.jpeg
Edited:

Thanks everyone for the responses! This is my first time with a nice dive watch (one I could just about afford to buy, but could not pay to replace), and the insurance companies I spoke to weren't giving me the answers I was expecting. It's also my first time dealing with Omega, and they weren't particularly helpful with the one other question I had. I will reach out to Hodinkee and get a copy of their policy though - that may be the perfect answer!

Insurance is a good idea for some peace of mind at a relatively low price. Although I'm not sure what Hodinkee charges.

FYI since your watch is also ceramic, the most expensive repair you could potentially end up with is if you need to replace that case. You can search the forums for past examples of broken ceramic cases. Don't get paranoid though, I've had my ceramic watches for 3 years now with no problem.

F066B9FF-2509-48D8-B55E-D37790D201D9.jpeg[/QUOTE]
@STANDY You should get that arm looked at. :D

@STANDY You should get that arm looked at. :D[/QUOTE]
You should have seen it right after he got it out of the croc’s mouth !

Insurance is a good idea for some peace of mind at a relatively low price. Although I'm not sure what Hodinkee charges.

My quote from Hodinkee was right round 1.2% of the total value that I wanted to insure my watches for...great things about them is that there is no deductible and they don't require appraisals unless you're trying to insure a watch for over $100k and they have worldwide coverage for any theft or damage.
Edited:

Your best insurance against water damage is regular pressure testing and replacement of seals.

I wouldn't bother with insurance. Your watch is rated for 600m, even if the seals lose 90% of their effectiveness you still have 60m left. And somehow I feel you won't be diving with that ceramic watch so it should be enough to cover all your use cases.

I wouldn't bother with insurance. Your watch is rated for 600m, even if the seals lose 90% of their effectiveness you still have 60m left.
Is that really how it works?