Forums Latest Members
  1. Wisa Feb 1, 2016

Hi
    I'm looking for some help as my Google searches have failed to answer my questions.

Unfortunately in January I was victim to a robbery, one of the items stolen was my Omega Genéve watch (136.0098 c.1972, similar to http://www.poshtime.com/Omega-Geneve-136.0098-c.1972_3027.028.php ). I purchased the watch last year from a Cash Converters (pawnbrokers) for £280 (c.$400). Fortunately we have contents insurance with a new for old policy, though the company are being difficult. They have asked;

- What the watch would have cost new, and;
    - What the modern equivalent would be and cost.

Can anyone here help with either of these questions, Geneve seems to be a discontinued line of watches which isn't well documented online.

Thanks in advance
    Wisa

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2016

Closest to it would be a Seamaster Aqua Terra but its about 10 times what you paid for that. Original price of the Geneve would be under a couple of hundred or so but inflation has changed things a lot since 1972.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2016

As far as a modern watch the closest might be the De Ville Trésor if gold, bearing in mind that there is no modern Geneve.

With the old, you need to tell us more about it. The metal, was it plated or gold?

If plated , probably between $75-130 new If Gold, $450-550

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2016

Ash is right, the Aqua Terra , though different styling might be closest by ranking.

5. Canuck Feb 1, 2016

I was in the retail jewellery business for decades. When I ran into a customer with a problem such as yours, I suggested that the customer find an Omega watch that they liked and felt would be a suitable replacement, then have the AD describe the watch that was stolen on an appraisal of some sort, but to include the price of the substitute watch. Worth a try!

6. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Feb 1, 2016

Ash -- Looks like Joma Shop wants $3,795 for a steel Aqua Terra on a leather strap, but they say the retail list price is $5,900. If that is accurate, and the insurance company bases its payout calculation on current retail price, I'd use $5,900. I certainly wouldn't use a gray market dealer price for an insurance claim.
    http://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-231-12-42-21-01-003.html

7. Wisa Feb 1, 2016

Thanks everyone for the input. Can you explain how you picked these modern equivalents, or better yet a link that I can send to the company saying something to that effect? Any information would be helpful.

Canuck's suggestion might be the most practical as I didn't lose a $6k watch, so it is unlikely the insurance company would agree to pay that much.

For the record I think these are rather ridiculous questions for the insurance company to be asking seeing as they should have their own experts.

Edited Feb 1, 2016
  8. Wisa Feb 1, 2016

Also the watch would have been gold plated.

9. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Feb 1, 2016

Wisa -- You should find out how the payout is calculated. If the insurance company applies 90 percent depreciation after 44 years, or (more likely) a large deductible, you need the highest legitimate number. Don't worry, they won't overpay you. :) I don't think a gold-plated model would be available now, hence the steel model price.

arkstfan and Foo2rama like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Feb 1, 2016

Hey Wisa,

The Geneve was one of the entry level lines of the Omega product catalogue during the 1960's-1980's(?)... the Aqua Terra with it's quartz movements fulfils the same sort of role.

Tritium likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 1, 2016

Honestly you purchased a Vintage watch, you did not have a rider on it, you will not get as new replacement on it as you purchased a Vintage watch. Research what it would cost to do a replacement of a like watch and do not get into a pissing match with your insurance trying to take advantage of a perceived loophole in your policy.

tyrantlizardrex and mozartman like this.
  12. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Feb 1, 2016

As any of you who work with or against insurance companies well know, the chances of some "loophole" giving you a significant windfall in this situation are almost nil. The insurers draft the policy language, and they do it carefully. Sometimes current retail price is relevant, but usually not without depreciation unless you bought a policy that specifically provides for that -- and some policies do just that. Also, as noted above, items like jewelry typically require an additional rider and payment of a large additional premium.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 1, 2016

Firstly commiserations on the burglary. I think this is the trouble with "standard" contents insurance policies. If you took the "new-for-old" clause, my watch collection would be worth north of £750,000, when it's true value is about £150,000. Nobody will insure you, on a standard contents policy for either value and my insurance company require a 5 yearly valuation for anything over £3,000 and a yearly valuation for anything over £5,000.

I would suggest that you search eBay (and other sites) for completed sales and present that information to the loss adjusters to get a fair pay-out for your watch.

alam and mozartman like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 1, 2016

Wasn't there a guy on here that had a geneve that had a insurance valuation for $5000 with he's sales listing on eBay.

15. vintageguy3 Feb 1, 2016

if you don't have a bill of sale or an insurance appraisal, you're doa.

16. alam Feb 1, 2016

Just what I was about to propose....and what I think is the most logical approach...

17. Wisa Feb 2, 2016

Thanks for the response all. This has now been resolved.

Before I could send any of the above information over to the insurance company they have proposed to settle for shop vouchers so I can replace the watch. They have proposed a voucher worth £2,280 presumably they arrived at this price by looking a DeVille Omega like the one below being the closest modern equivalent.

http://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/brands/omega-watches/de-ville/de-ville-prestige-21

I'm quite shocked, but pleased, by this as my initial outlay was no where near this amount. The insurance company have been really difficult through the whole process (my house mate has spent +20hrs on the phone arguing and chasing them), so to come out with this is a definite result.

Not sure what I'll do now as I don't especially want a £2k watch (my last one I wore daily and kept in an unlocked draw at work) but I have some options.

Thanks again for your input.
    Wisa

18. ConElPueblo Feb 2, 2016

I'd say that a hour wage of roughly £100 is a pretty good "result".

Now, excuse me while I talk to some gentlemen about an appointment at my house this weekend.

;)

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  19. arkstfan Feb 2, 2016

In my experience insurance companies will jack you around and nickel and dime you over stupid stuff they ought to concede and toward the end of the process will end up treating you nice on a point they ought to quibble over.

Personally I find their attitude to be a good thing. They keep food on the table for many of my brothers and sisters in the bar community by fighting over stupid stuff and causing people to get mad and hire a lawyer. :)

20. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Feb 2, 2016

Without wanting to offend anyone here who works in the industry, it is an intentional and calculated strategy on the part of insurers in many situations to delay and haggle over an inevitable payout for as long as possible. They have so many in house lawyers and outside law firms working for them that being sued one more time is not a significant cost for them, as long as they settle before trial, and often even if they go to trial. So this is a good result for a vintage watch that would probably cost around $1,200 today in top condition from a retail dealer fully serviced and with a warranty. The recovery is enough to buy a new one on the gray market, but not from an AD most likely.