Forums Latest Members
  1. Kathy Feb 19, 2015

Hi Am new to this forum and to watches in general. I have inherited a Speedmaster watch. My Dad bought it in circa 1971. From my research it has a "pre-moon" back case (it says "The first watch worn on the moon" in the middle, below the omega symbol and round the sides it says "flight qualified by nasa for all manned space mission" and it has a 1039 1971 strap. It works but there is a crack in the side of the faceplate. As far as I know it has never been serviced. It's dirty as he wore it every day. There is no box or paperwork. Shall I get is serviced/repaired etc? Is it worth the cost of repair?
    I would be really grateful for some guidance as it is a special heirloom (even if it's not worth much!) Have just added some photos. Thanks for any help Kathy watch1.JPG watch2.JPG watch3.JPG watch4.JPG watch5.JPG watch6.JPG watch7.JPG watch8.JPG

Edited Feb 19, 2015
    Varasc likes this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 19, 2015

Hi Kathy and welcome to the forum!

That iconic watch is well followed here by many experts and can be quite valuable .
    Please post clear, close-up photos in macro mode (often a flower symbol) of the front dial, the back case and ,perhaps, the side with the buttons (pushers).
    Eventually, they also may ask for shots of the movement and inside caseback.
    In the mean time, please don't wind it or try to clean it!

3. Kathy Feb 19, 2015

Ok I'll take some really good photos, upload and see what you think! I'll take your advice and leave it alone! Thanks UncleBuck.

4. Kathy Feb 19, 2015

Sorry posted without using the reply button! Am going to take the photos and will not touch the winder or clean it! Thank you

UncleBuck likes this.
  5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 19, 2015

Welcome Kathy and straight in with an avatar, well done :thumbsup: Hope some others take note ;)

Tritium, Event horizon and Kathy like this.
  6. g-boac Feb 19, 2015

Hello Kathy. It sounds like you have a nice watch on its original bracelet. From what you described, it is not a "premoon", but, the second of four generations to follow the premoons. (Those would be "transitional", "first on moon" (which is what you likely have), calibre 861, and calibre 1861, which is the current generation today. There are also a few more subtle distinctions within some of the generations, such as dial variants, but for the purposes of this discussion, those are not important.)

The value of a good condition, working, original, but honestly-used first on moon watch is probably in the ballpark of $3,250 USD. Again, pictures here will help us tell the story.

When servicing or repairing your watch, most collector (and sentimental) value comes from originality: this means keeping original dial, case, hands, bezel, and if possible crown and pushers. It is generally considered acceptable, even amongst the hardest of the hard-core originalists, to replace a crystal (the "watch glass"), particularly if cracked. There is no concern with replacing the movement parts (the mechanical parts of the engine that runs the watch), because you need these parts to be at their best for your watch to last for generations. But the parts you touch and see - the case, the hands, the dial, the bracelet, the crown...these are the parts (even if faded, worn, chipped, or slightly less than perfect) tell the story of the first 50 years your dad and watch had together, and will continue to tell the story of the next 50 amd more you and your family will have going forward!

Welcome!

Edited Feb 19, 2015
    fatbaldboy and Kathy like this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 19, 2015

Kathy, no shortage of buyers here.

Sounds like a 145.022-69 to me. Photos will confirm.

If you want to keep it (and many here will suggest you do) then have it serviced by Archer in North America or STS in UK (Europe).

"Barn find " watches are worth much more than serviced ones. If you plan to sell, sell as is.

If you are keeping it, get it serviced by a watchmaker with an Omega Parts account.

What a wonderful thing you have.

Speedmaster101.com for values and a more detailed idea of what you might have.

Varasc, Kathy and g-boac like this.
  8. g-boac Feb 19, 2015

Great post by @Spacefruit. One very important point he made - if you are wanting to sell, best to sell as is. If you are wanting to keep, a service with an independent, qualified watchmaker with an Omega Parts Account such as Al Archer (@Archer) will allow you get the personalized results you desire.

You will generally want to avoid Omega servicing your watch, because for vintage pieces, they WILL replace those very parts you don't want replaced, and may even polish the case!!

Kathy likes this.
  9. Kathy Feb 19, 2015

Hi really interesting! I've added some photos. Thank you so much for the advice. Would love to know what you think of the photos.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

I'd sell it as is if you're aiming to sell it and yea 3000-3500 would be probably where its at. If you took really good quality photos and eBayed it, being a single owner watch in as found condition it could do a bit better than that if a few guys start fighting over it.

Kathy likes this.
  11. Kathy Feb 19, 2015

Hi Spacefruit, Thanks so much for that. I was automatically thinking of sending it to Omega for repair, but I will look up STS as i'm in Europe. I wouldn't want to take the used look away. I saw this watch on my Dad's arm for thirty years! I have added some pictures if you want a look. Many thanks

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

Definitely don't send it to Omega for restoration, most of the original parts will be gone along with most of the value, shops like STS are used to being asked to perform sympathetic restorations (and know how their clients would react to key parts being replaced on vintage Speedmasters).

Kathy likes this.
  13. Kathy Feb 19, 2015

Thanks for your advice.Much appreciated.

14. ricardorio Feb 19, 2015

Dear Kathy, you fathers watch is fantastic. Do not sale. Keep in family as legacy for the next generations.

Greatest post, great advice´s

Best, Ricardo.

Varasc, timeismoney, tpatta and 2 others like this.
  15. TexOmega Feb 19, 2015

Welcome, nice heirloom.

Kathy likes this.
  16. pascs Feb 19, 2015

Its had some work at some point in its life. One of the pushers is the wrong size and also the sub dial hands appear silver instead of white

Kathy likes this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

What country are you in Kathy?

Kathy likes this.
  18. Kathy Feb 19, 2015

Thanks for that. Looking at the pushers they are a bit different to each other. The top pusher is smaller than the bottom one. Is either of them the correct one for the model? Hard to tell about the little hands but yes they do look silver. Thanks

19. Kathy Feb 19, 2015

Hi i'm in Ireland dsio

20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 19, 2015

Kathy, these are my most favorite posts to read on this message board. I love to see watches being passed down and hearing the stories associated with each watch. I also love to see the before and after pics of the watches...

Keep us posted and welcome to OF.

Hotwheelbill and Kathy like this.