Forums Latest Members
  1. gypsymanme Feb 9, 2013

Hello. This is my first post and I don’t know a great deal about watches so if I sound like an idiot please bear with me.
    Recently I had a closer look at a watch I inherited from my father. The history as I understand it is this. My father was in the Canadian Merchant Navy during WWII and for a few years after. At some point he traded a few packages of cigarettes for the watch. He couldn’t remember which port he was in at the time but he thought it might have been somewhere in India. This was just a guess though.
    Upon returning home he gave the watch to my grandfather who wore it until his death in the early 1970s. My father then wore it until his death in 1996 when it was given to me. At that time I had the crystal replaced (it was almost opaque) and the spring replaced. I asked the jeweler about replacing the face as it is worn but he said I shouldn't do that. Since then the watch has remained primarily in my wife’s jewelry box.
    I was curious so I opened the watch to find a serial number and anything else I could learn. While poking around on the web I found this forum so I thought I would see if I could garner any more insight here.
    There are a number of things I can read easily but there are also engravings that are difficult to read. What I know for sure is the watch is an Omega Suveran. The serial number stamped on the works is ‘10470832’.
    Inside the back cover it is stamped with a ‘4’ at the top and below the company name is ‘2400-7’. There is also a small stamp to the right of the company name which could be a logo but I really can’t tell. (See photos.)
    In addition to these stamped marks there are what appear to be hand engravings. I cannot see these very clearly so I may be wrong with some of the digits. Immediately below the ‘2400-7’ are 2 lines of engraving: ‘V.B. 1941’ possibly and ‘627812764’ (the 1st digit might be an ‘A’ rather than ‘6’ depending if you believe me or my wife.)
    There is more engraving at the bottom which I cannot read. And on the right side written vertically what appears to be ‘C8 4199’.
    I will put it under a microscope on Monday and see if I can read it more clearly. I am wondering if it is common that Omega watches have this type of engraving? I have found that this watch is identified as ‘2400’ but what does the ‘-7’ indicate?
    If there is anything you could tell me about what to look for it would be appreciated.
    Thanks Jude
    Suveran.jpg Face 1.jpg Inside 1.jpg

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 9, 2013

Hello and welcome.

The number ‘10470832’ on the movement is the serial number and dates the watch to about 1945/46.

The number 2400 is indeed the Omega reference number, the 7 represents the 7th generation of the series.

The small scratch written notations are watchmakers references for repairs or services performed over the years.

The jeweler who looked at your treasure was a wise man, the value either monetary or sentimental is in its originality. I would leave it just the way it is with the exception of perhaps wiping off any accumulated junk on the surface of the case.

NT931 likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

Hey Jude (where have I heard that before), welcome to Omega forums. That's one hell of an heirloom!

Absolutely agreed! Every mark and faded part have come from previous generations of your family so leave it's history intact.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 9, 2013

Jude,
    Welcome. Suvarens have a great deal of history, being made to find the Swedish war effort. Beautiful piece.

5. MKelley Feb 9, 2013

Welcome. Nice piece of history you have.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 9, 2013

Very nice, the movement looks like it just cam from the factory :thumbsup:

And what a dial, a proper "military", not something cooked up by someone with a can of black paint.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

Nice piece mate!

8. Wheels Feb 10, 2013

Lovely watch mate and a wise jeweller too! :)

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 10, 2013

Welcome,
    My Suveran say hi...........

Suveran front.jpg
    suveran back.jpg
    suveran movement.jpg

ps: This is Mike's picture. I haven't been able to take better picture than him.

10. gypsymanme Feb 10, 2013

Thanks everyone,
    I am more interested in the history of the watch than the value. I saw on the forum that you can request an authenticity document from Omega for 75 euros. Is this really just authenticity or does it include any info about the watch?

Thanks again. Very interesting forum. I have been reading a lot about watches. I hadn't given a lot of thought to mechanical intricacy and what a piece of art a watch can be.
    I am intrigued and have to learn more.

Thanks again,
    Jude

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 11, 2013

It gives you the exact date of manufacture of the movement, what country it was shipped to (no surprises really with a suvaren ) I think that is it.

12. gypsymanme Feb 11, 2013

Thank you kind sir,

You have saved me 75 euros.

Jude

13. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 11, 2013

Here's what your cash provides :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]