Forums Latest Members
  1. identifybeard Oct 17, 2018

So I recently received an Omega wristwatch. My great-uncle has been dead for about 10 years and it has been sitting in a storage box since then, but it has kept good time for a day and a half since I wound it.

It's just the watch, no paperwork or packaging. When I opened the back, I got the serial number 137xxxxx which the internet shows as 1952. The model is 2712-2, movement is 266. Gold filled case by Paul Bovier (I think that's right, but I don't remember what forum I found that on).. The bracelet is marked JB Champion, but I don't see a model number.

I can tell there are some things wrong, but I don't know if they are wrong enough to just put the watch in a drawer and hang onto it for sentimental reasons. The 1 in the 12 looks to have come a bit loose. The glass?plastic? is very yellow and scratched. A precursory Google doesn't bring back much about the lens yellowing, so maybe it is tinted? The metal around the pins of the JB Champion band look like they have been bent out (see picture of back). There seems to be some gunk inside the case, probably from not being serviced in several decades.

What would it take to bring it back to shipshape? And, of course, what it might be worth, because I have no idea how to gauge its condition. If it's a $1000 investment to refurbish a $200 watch, I'll tuck it away and keep it for the memories.

Thanks.
    20181016_190152[1].jpg 20181016_190209[1].jpg 20181016_190313[1].jpg 20181016_190305[1].jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  2. identifybeard Oct 17, 2018

I didn't say that the bracelet is marked JB Champion Stainless Back.

3. MikeMan2727 Oct 17, 2018

I think overall you have a very nice watch there.

The crystal is quite scratched up, but would be very easy to replace by any competent watch maker. I think some of the yellow you are seeing is the natural patina the dial has developed. To my eyes, it is quite pleasing.

I think you are probably correct about the "1" in the "12" marker, but it would be easier to see with the crystal removed and the minute hand off of 12.

The case looks quite nice. 80 micron plating was the thickest plating and is usually quite robust. The lugs also look very nice.

I would just scrap the bracelet and put it on a nice strap, as this was not the original bracelet anyway.

The movement does look to be in need of a good cleaning, which would run a few hundred dollars in the US, if that is where you are. The cal 266 is quite reliable.

identifybeard likes this.
  4. Rochete Oct 17, 2018

Movement needs servicing, I don't know in US but in Europe an independent watchmaker will do for €150-200 if no parts are to be replaced, less if watchmaker is your friend. New plastic glass can be put for a few dollars, as well as a new leather strap. I suspect it might be a redial. Market value, once done what should be done, would be around $300-400

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 17, 2018

The positioning of the minute track relative to the marker ends seems pretty inconsistent, which makes me think redial as well. Also the dial edge is visible all around the perimeter; I am not sure if that is normal or not (and there is no SWISS or SWISS MADE)

6. identifybeard Oct 17, 2018

Thanks. I am in the US, I didn't think to put that.

7. identifybeard Oct 17, 2018

I'm sorry. I don't know what this means? My guess is that the "minute track" is the marks around the dial that mark each minute and the "marker ends" are the . . . hands?

8. Blaise Oct 17, 2018

I agree with the redial, the font looks a bit off for that era. Regardless though, it's a great vintage piece with sentimental value. I'd have it serviced. Pick a nice strap and you're good to go. Even if you wear it occasionally it's worth saving it.

Rochete and identifybeard like this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 17, 2018

sorry -- I was referring to the hour markers. At some locations the minute tick marks extend closer to an imaginary circle that would touch the hour marker ends then at other locations.

10. identifybeard Oct 17, 2018

I see what you're saying. I don't know how much of that could be affected by the angle of the photography. I'll take a look at it tonight and maybe post an updated face picture.

11. Rochete Oct 17, 2018

Yep, plus that crosshair on carved subdial isn't correct for what I know.