Forums Latest Members

Inherited a 1970's Omega Automatic from my granddad 20 years ago

1. 2Bealive Oct 26, 2016

Hi

Very new to this, not a collector yet, but think the bug has bitten.

I inherited a watch from my grand dad 20 years ago, put it in a safe with the bank as I was to irresponsible to wear it ;-), lost the safe's keys, the bank branch closed, finally got it back after tracing a person that worked there, however it did not work anymore, was declared unfixable by the watchmaker I approached (but he offered me money to take it over), found a great watchmaker in a small shop in a local market that took a year to get it working again (even longer story) and now got it back on my arm.

During the restoration process I have started reading up on it to figure out what it was, and are fascinated by the Omega story and mechanical watches in general (I also collect 1970/80 cars and bikes) and are a mechanical engineer.

I don't think the watch is rare and the outside is worn (my grand dad worn it continuously for about 15 years), but it is special to me. We share the same family names and the watch was given to him as a gift from a school he taught at for 14 years. His (our) name is engraved on the back, with the school's name and dated that he served there on the back (I have smudged it out on the photo for privacy reasons).

How do I figure out what the watch is:

- Where is the serial number
    - How do i figure out what mechanism was used in it
    - Is there a way to get the manufacturing year (suspect it is somewhere around 1972/3.)

It is also badly worn, specifically the armband (I suspect it is gold plated, not sure what kr), can I and do I have it replated?

IMG_0765.jpg IMG_0766.jpg IMG_0767.jpg IMG_0768.jpg
    Bravinho6 likes this.
  2. dialstatic Oct 26, 2016

Have a watchmaker unscrew the back to make sure (serial number will be in the back of the lid), but I suspect you'll find that it's 20 micron gold plated 166.0125 (a.k.a. MD 366.0831) with the 1022 caliber.

3. Bumper Oct 26, 2016

Hello 1960-1974, that's an unusual name...

+ 1 to dialstatic's comment above. If you open the bracelet clasp tthere should be some numbers/date/engraving there.

4. Edward53 Oct 27, 2016

Great first post. It's not a rare watch but it's a family piece and thus priceless to you. As stated above, almost certainly a 1022 movement as the earlier 752 has a single day/date window. I think it is more likely to be late 70s according to this table. I can't really see the plating loss on the bracelet but I'd be more concerned that one of the connecting links appears to be dangerously worn and loose.

5. spin_transistor Oct 27, 2016

Family watches are the best and have very special meaning. I have pieces from my father and grandfathers and it's fun to see how each represented their personalities.

I'd service the watch and leave the rest as-is.

Jwit likes this.
  6. 2Bealive Oct 28, 2016

Thanks, will read some more.

Is there a way to "secure" the links?

7. 2Bealive Nov 3, 2016

OK, got shown how to open the back.

It is a 1660174 3660833 with 1022 movement.

Trace the serial number back to 1973, would make sense as my granddad got it in 1974.

Band is a 1181/84

Described on an auction site as:

"a gentleman`s Geneve bracelet watch. Numbered 1660174 3660833. Signed automatic movement. Champagne tone dial. Gold plated case fitted to a gold plated bracelet. 36mm"

IMG_0852.jpg IMG_0847.jpg IMG_0870.jpg
    Bravinho6 likes this.