Forums Latest Members

Inherited 3 vintage omegas, wondering what to do with them

1. 0gremagi Nov 23, 2016

I got these 3 among a lot of other watches in a big box from a relative.
    Omega being my favorite watch brand nowdays i'm not sure wether to keep them or sell them.
    I'm having a hard time pinpointing price range for them in case of sale.

The seamaster on the left needs a lot of love and attention to ever work again of course. The movement in itself seems to be in orde. The middle one seems the best, the one on the right is not hopeless either, but crystal is very scratched, dial looks decent.

Does anyone have suggestions, pricepoints, knowledge about them that i don't have. I have gotten an offer for around $350 for all 3, dont know if that is good or bad. I can provide more pictures and such if thats needed 20161121_025912.jpg 20161119_215407.jpg 20161119_215426.jpg 20161119_215853.jpg 20161119_215907.jpg 20161119_220648.jpg 20161119_220710.jpg

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 23, 2016

Middle one is worth more than $350 alone I would say.

You need to research each model to get price range ( number on inside of case back )

OMGRLX, MPWATCH and chronos like this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 23, 2016

Funny how every single 'whats it worth mister' thread started by a zero post joiner seems to be an inheritance. Not saying it isn't this time but surely some of these new posters must just be traders or car boot sale browsers who want to get all the info they can ASAP without the tedious, long winded research step and they think if they invoke some sympathy they can call on the collective knowledge without felling guilty when they slip away in to the night afterwards without a backward glance. You would actually think based on the threads here that no one ever purchased a second hand watch, they only come via someone's passing.

To be fair to the OP, he or she clearly has researched the watches but is possibly unaware that ebay provides and excellent archive of previous sales, or perhaps they just wanted to circumvent the 200 post selling rule? God I am cynical today!

Edited Nov 23, 2016
    mac_omega, cwindham and Etp095 like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 23, 2016

You shouldn't be so cynical. Have an open mind about this. Lots of people die daily and apparently, most of them have an Omega or two. These are just family members trying to determine how badly they got screwed on their inheritance.

Jwit, Fattony, Nitzbar and 9 others like this.
  5. 0gremagi Nov 23, 2016

Hello,
    I guess, i could come across as 'whats it worth mister', in that case i am sorry. I just got eager when i found this forum, i have been researching these for some weeks when time has allowed. I'm a bit torn since i love omegas, but i also could use some cash. And as for the the inheritance, it is a fact. I got a box with around 30 vintage watches in all kinds of conditions and shapes really. As for being a new poster, well that is not really something i can do much about :)

For instance, having trouble finding the exact model of the middle one being sold anywhere, i'm trying to gauge if its at all a point selling them or if i should hang on to any, if they should be serviced and so on. I guess i figured who better than this forum.

But i get where you come from, it can be construded as a bit of 'leeching' i guess, not the intention.

kingsrider, Jwit, Snorkelflip and 3 others like this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 23, 2016

Uniqez likes this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 23, 2016

To be fair, you didn't deserve my cynicism since you have clearly put the hours in to figure out what you have but we do get an awful lot threads of this kind which are just a lazy request for info without any intention of giving anything back in terms of future participation, it gets a bit grating after a while and the stock response is 'what does your research tell you' which in your case is inappropriate since you have actually done some but I would say that ebay is your friend here, search sold listing and you will have a good idea of value.

0gremagi likes this.
  8. 0gremagi Nov 23, 2016

That seems like a good place to get some additional information. The middle one in the first picture. I have not seen a picture online with that exact dial anywhere. Usually they have a number '12' and not the double line there. Is this any cause for concern? I dont know how many dials there are for any given type and if any are rarer that other and such.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 23, 2016

noelekal likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 23, 2016

Good tip above. The Omega database isn't complete, that is to say you may have a variant which isn't shown there. There were many variations between countries even, in the UK some models have arabic numbers instead of the markers used in other markets for instance. If a dial is too good to be true it may have been re-done but then again it may just be in very good condition for its age.

11. 0gremagi Nov 23, 2016

It looks 'right' to me, not perfect but very good, like its been handled with some care. The crystal seems quite outstanding for its age and the fact that it was tossed in a box with a lot of other misc stuff. Of course there were no bands or leftovers of bands, so i have no clue what they had. Guessing leather since it hasnt survived. Also i see there is no Omega logo on the crown, not sure if its been replaced or if it came that way.

12. 0gremagi Nov 23, 2016

13. 0gremagi Nov 23, 2016

Here are some fresh pictures with a little better lighting conditions. Hard to get mobile phone to focus on close ups like this. The engraving is the name of the person that owned it once. I guess that takes away some value if it cant be polished away. This is the one i'm most enclined to keeping of course, because of condition.

20161123_122609.jpg 20161123_122619.jpg 20161123_122631.jpg 20161123_122710.jpg
  14. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 23, 2016

If they were mine and I had no emotional attachment to them, I would put the two lesser ones on ebay and use the proceeds to get the third one serviced.
    A straight auction with good photos and honest descriptions will bring you exactly what they are worth.

Jwit, Nitzbar, OMGRLX and 5 others like this.
  15. Scepticalist Nov 23, 2016

I'd do exacly that. Keep the best one, sell the others, use proceeds to service. You'll never get back the value of the service in a sale so makes sense to use the lesser watches to fund it.

0gremagi likes this.
  16. 0gremagi Nov 23, 2016

That is what i'm leaning towards also.
    Do people buy them in that rough a condition though? The seamaster branded one is rather distressed, i don't know if it even could be brougth back to life.

17. Scepticalist Nov 23, 2016

Someone will buy them. Even if only for spares for a better condition one that they have. It's very rare that an Omega doesn't make what it's worth on eBay.

18. François Pépin Nov 23, 2016

I buy watches (with a 30 series caliber) in such condition very often! They certainly do worth something and can be sold (and bought!) on eBay.

Hard to give you an idea of the price (it depends on the model, the condition, if they are working, if they are not if the balance is good or not, etc.). But the two we are talking about probably already worth 300-350 $ together if the balance is good, and if only a service (and a cristal) if required to get them work again.

19. Civic4982 Nov 23, 2016

As a hoarder I'd keep them all and add some lugbars and leather with a service from a local watch smith to get them back to life.

These hand me downs with a story to me are just inseparable.

If anything I may someday give them away to a close friend or family member as a gift with a story.

All three have such different character on the dials with how they aged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chronos likes this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 23, 2016

Always looking on the bright side :), divorce will do that for ya :thumbsup:

Jwit and tpatta like this.