Information and advice on this vintage Bulova please?

Hello, I have this gold Bulova that I inherited from my grandfather. I think it's probably from the 1950's, but perhaps someone here knows more about it? I'm assuming it is US made.

It runs, but should be serviced, obviously. I like the design of it, and I'm wondering about what I should do in terms of restoration. It's a bit rough at the moment, but not too bad.

There are some marks (dirt?) on the dial that aren't particularly appealing. I'm not sure what is really possible or practical here to clean it up or improve it.

Is it recommended to use gold spring bars in order to keep the lug holes from getting worn?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on the watch. Thanks!

L8 on case back is a year code for 1958

Nice shape lugs and indexes

Don’t know the exact model but post on https://www.mybulova.com/

They will let you know more details

As for the marks of dial just live with it, grandpa did 😀

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I really dig the lugs and the applied gold shapes on the dial. Leaving the dial alone is certainly a possibility. I guess he did live with it the way it is, although it's not clear how some of those marks even would have gotten on there in the first place.

I don't remember him ever wearing this watch, so he may have retired it to a drawer before I came along, but it was actually the nicest watch he had. He later wore a 90's Tag Heuer quartz that I wasn't crazy about.

Can anyone recommend someone in particular that would be good for servicing this watch?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum @mrfusion. I think that'll clean up nicely with a service, and as @peatnick said, I wouldn't go messing with the dial as you stand a fairly high risk of doing more damage than good. If it's patina, it's likely there to stay and tells a little about its life with grandpa.

I believe your assumption is correct that it is US made. As for gold spring bars, the logic seems sound, but I really don't know if it's a worry...others may correct me. As a dress watch, I'm fairly sure usage would be gentle and fairly infrequent, so again I'm not sure I'd worry much about lug wear using stainless spring bars.

If you post your general location, we may be able to provide a recommendation of a watchmaker in your area, likewise a search for 'vintage watch service' may provide results as well.

Please post pictures after a sympathetic service, those lugs are fantastic and it should really come to life after a good cleaning! And good on you for bringing grandpas watch back to life, connections to history like this is priceless IMHO.

Thanks! I've been a longtime lurker, having owned plenty of watches, including a few Speedmasters. I now own a hesalite 3861, which is a keeper. I'm kind of done with buying and selling watches and have a solid small collection that I'm satisfied with. This Bulova will be a nice infrequent wearer once it's serviced. So your assumption about the spring bars is probably right.

I am located in New Jersey, USA. I'm not far from Manhattan, where I have visted Manhattan Time Service a long time ago (when I worked in the city) for some minor work, and I've also worked with LA Watchworks to service my now-sold Rolex 1675. I'm open to anyone who will do a good job on a vintage watch like this.

I will certainly post photos post-service.
Edited:

I don't have much to add, but that's a cool family heirloom. I hope you get it tuned up and enjoy it.

We have several members up in your neck of the woods - hopefully someone will have some good suggestions for you soon.

Thank you, I do think it is a neat watch, and it would be nice to get it cleaned up a bit and serviced. I've just posted it on mybulova.com and hope I get more info there.