Forums Latest Members
  1. shun Sep 14, 2015

Hello, Friends! This is my first post and a little introduction: My name is Shun, I`m a 26y/o medschool student from Brazil.

I am about to puchase my first Omega watch (I'm a crazy vintage Seiko fan) and wanted to start off with a 30mm calibre.

These are pictures from a local auction website which I am interested on based on its design and budget I`m allowed to spend.

My doubts rests in the originality of the parts (Dial, crown, movement/case, hands, etc.).. If anyone coud help I would appreciate.

From what I could find online the crown seems to be a more modern version. The "original" should be slimmer than whats in it.. And the crystal seems to have the incorrect height. What else am I missing? Is the dial redone? What about the hands? Is the reference correct for this case?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much for your patience! I have so many doubts because I know nothing from Omega!

Regards from Brazil

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 15, 2015

Looks OK to me.

I wouldn't worry about the crown, its the correct flat profile and the crystal can easily be replaced.

Probably not worth more than $300 US, the dial condition holds this one back.

3. shun Sep 15, 2015

Thank you very much for your answer, X350 XJR!

I have puchased the watch.. I think I did a good deal if its on 300USD range. I've paid about 1/3 of that value in today's exchange rate from BRL.

As soon as I get it with me I will try to clean up that dial a bit. Won't remove everything but I think I can make it better than it is! Then its on to hunt for a correct profile crystal!

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 15, 2015

Really?

I am not sure the dial will be more attractive after "cleaning."

Part of the considerable charm of this watch is the way it carries its age.

It is very rare that a watch. Ends up more attractive after cosmetic work. Like people. And like people 90% of the time you can tell.

Davidt and Skrotis like this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 16, 2015

Totally agree, don't touch that dial.

Get it serviced and change the crystal and clean but not polish the case.

6. shun Sep 16, 2015

Thanks for the input, guys! A friend of mine also spoke against touching up the dial.. Well at first my intentions were to tidy up a bit based on the experiences from watchguy.co.uk and its restorations.

Here's the reference: http://watchguy.co.uk/cleaning-and-preserving-original-finish-on-dials/

i.e:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After considering my friend's and your opinion I might reconsider.. But only will I be certain of my choice after I get it in my hands! Hopefully next week!

I'll keep you guys posted!

Thank you for the attention, yet again!