Info request: struggling to find any information

I have been researching so much information about this Omega watch that has been passed down though the family but am struggling to find any info.

I think I may have identified the '285' calibre but beyond that, nothing. Any assistance or steers appreciated.

Inner case markings show:
9.375 A P (unsure if those letters are correct)

A.L.D

This is a manual wind (fully working)

English case, probably Dennison.

Nice watch. I would probably put it on leather as springbar straps will eat lugs.

Do not know much about gold hallmarks. Might be a gold case. More likely what is called gold filled.

ALD is the case maker - Dennison. They were a UK goldsmiths who were one of the appointed local case makers for Omega. At this time loose movements were imported into many countries to be installed into locally made cases to avoid duties associated with importing precious metals.

The case has a Birmingham hallmark for 9ct gold, 1964 which is a couple of years later than the approximate date of manufacture for the movement (c.1960/61) but close enough.

Dial looks like it’s been repainted.

Cal 285 Serial number 17.xxx.xxx dates movement to 1959.
Case made in England by Dennison (ALD) and is 9k gold I believe. The Caseback numbers have no connection to Omega as case made in England by Dennison. That’s why you can’t look it up from Omega. They sent movements to be cased locally in England and France and USA to avoid tax on gold, is my understanding.
A Brit OF expert can explain better I’m sure. But it’s legit

I appreciate all the info, thanks. Fountains of Omega knowledge!! 👍

Cal 285 Serial number 17.xxx.xxx dates movement to 1959.
Case made in England by Dennison (ALD) and is 9k gold I believe. The Caseback numbers have no connection to Omega as case made in England by Dennison. That’s why you can’t look it up from Omega. They sent movements to be cased locally in England and France and USA to avoid tax on gold, is my understanding.
A Brit OF expert can explain better I’m sure. But it’s legit
Not quite. 131.5405 is in the main Omega scheme and does follow the then current MAPICS coding with the 5 leading the second group indicating UK production. This is one of the last Dennison made models before they folded and Shackman took over. This model was called the 13322 by Dennison previously. Usually Dennison models didn’t have a regular case number like this, later UK models usually did.
Edited:

Not quite. 131.5405 is in the main Omega scheme and does follow the then current MAPICS coding with the 5 leading the second group indicating UK production. This is one of the last Dennison made models before they folded and Shackman took over. This model was called the 13322 by Dennison previously. Usually Dennison models didn’t have a regular case number like this, later UK models usually did.

Yep...

055BL1315405 | YEL.GOLD CASE 9CT.CAL.0286

Is there any way of determining whether this is solid or 9k plated? I'm assuming plated? ❓

.375 marking inside the case back indicates 9K solid gold.

Thanks again. I'm a little scared to overwind the watch......a few turns of the crown and it will run for 1-2 days. Is it that pretty standard and back in the day would the owner be doing a daily wind or can you wind much further?......can you keep going until you 'feel' the mechanism tighten?

2 days is plenty for one of these. Yes people would wind them every day.

Wind it daily until you can’t turn the crown any more.

You're not going to break it unless you're using pliers to wind it.