Forums Latest Members
  1. Annapolis Dec 1, 2022

Took the plunge and bought (new from a long-established trusted seller at about 50% list!) the full white gold LE Aqua Terra 231.50.43.22.01.001. It seemed fated, though I'm not superstitious: the LE number and warranty date are both significant to me, one relating to my wedding anniversary, the other to my son's birthday. Such eerie coincidences didn't make it easier for me to resist. :)

The watch is spectacular in the metal, and you really can't appreciate what 270 grams means until it's anchoring your wrist. Holy sh!t. Even with 1.5 links removed, it's 262. I plan to daily this watch, and it'll definitely take some getting used to. At 43mm and around 51mm lug-to-lug, it's right at the limit of what my wrist can accept, but in a way I'm really digging.

I wasn't positive I'd like the rose gold accents on the dial markers and hands, but I absolutely do. With the mostly-brushed finishing, the watch isn't blingy at all. And the finishing on the movement is so nice!

Doubt I'll ever encounter another one of these...

IMG-2545.jpg IMG-2546.jpg IMG-2547.jpg
    carlos13, akshayluc420, SC1 and 14 others like this.
  2. banshee Dec 1, 2022

Congrats! I didn't even know this watch existed...
    The brushed bracelet is awesome! Very understated.

Annapolis likes this.
  3. Annapolis Dec 1, 2022

Cheers. The brushed bracelet was a big selling point for me. I've been on the hunt for a full white gold/platinum (bracelet) watch for under 25k. Preowned Rolex Day-Dates were about the only options I'd found until this specimen crossed my radar, and while the Rolexes are beautiful, I'm not a fan of polished center links---bit too flashy for my taste. It's hard to consider a 43mm gold watch understated, but this one really is: it looks like stainless steel, even close up, and aside from the diameter of the dial, it doesn't call much attention.

The annual calendar is a cool complication, too. I don't think I'd argue that it's more useful than a day/date complication, as I'm far more likely to forget the day of the week than I am to forget the month, but as a marvel of horology (with a hat-tip to Patek Phillipe) it's quite special.

Edited Dec 1, 2022
    banshee and sonicosa like this.
  4. StudebakerHawk Dec 1, 2022

I must say, that AT is very sharp!

Annapolis likes this.
  5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 1, 2022

Aha! Now your inquiry about the Cal. 8611 has some real-world context.

Wow, what a beauty! To me, just the enjoying heft would be worth it. Congratulations on an extraordinary, and spectacular acquisition!

Annapolis likes this.
  6. Annapolis Dec 1, 2022

Ha—yes, I got curious re: the silicone hair spring—I know the master chronometers take antimagnetism to a much higher level (essentially amagnetic), but I assumed even these non-master movements with the silicone springs must be significantly resistant. Resistant enough for my everyday use, anyway. It was one of the things that always made me nervous when wearing vintage pieces.

And yes, the mass is wild—an eyes-closed watch experience, for sure. On the solid bracelet it’s pretty well balanced; imagine it’d be a bit more challenging on a strap.

7. YY77 Dec 1, 2022

Do you know the weight head only?

8. Annapolis Dec 1, 2022

Not exactly—and I’m not planning to scratch up my lugs removing the bracelet just yet. :)

They do make a slightly-less-limited LE version of this watch on leather: the 231.53.43.22.01.001, and that one weighs 173g, according to Omega’s site. Assuming the strap doesn’t weigh much, gotta figure the head is at least… 150g. Which makes sense—like I said, it feels pretty well balanced, and that’d be fairly close to half the total weight of my watch.

9. StudebakerHawk Dec 1, 2022

Stunning! hope you got a good deal!

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.23.37 PM.png

10. YY77 Dec 1, 2022

I have a WG Carrera which came on a strap, with a weight head-only of 113g it's top heavy but maybe that is also due to the 15.8mm thickness.

Annapolis likes this.
  11. Annapolis Dec 1, 2022

There was a trade involved, but total dollar-value (trade included), I paid half of the list price.

Kinda wish I knew the story—and who knows, maybe someone here on OF does. For all I know the watch was originally purchased by a forum member. Best I can tell, someone bought the watch from an OB about 10 weeks ago and apparently got it sized but never wore it. Then sold it to the preowned dealer I purchased it from, who had it listed about 20k under retail. Not sure what kind of loss the original owner took or why he (presuming a male buyer) parted with it so quickly.

12. StudebakerHawk Dec 1, 2022

My AT is 144g...... its a wrist anchor.....

scale.jpg

13. Annapolis Dec 1, 2022

Beautiful piece.

The watch I wore prior to this was no lightweight: 170 grams. I got used to that pretty quickly. Guessing in a week or two, even 262 will fade into everyday custom.

14. StudebakerHawk Dec 1, 2022

Squale at 166g C1912618-7C74-4D7E-A264-F44E8FC4D3BE.jpeg

15. StudebakerHawk Dec 1, 2022

SMP300MC at 147g 308DDE12-9692-46F3-8586-1AAFF09F2434.jpeg

Annapolis likes this.
  16. StudebakerHawk Dec 1, 2022

I would agree, 270g would be hefty. At 43mm and white gold bracelet..that is making a statement!

17. Annapolis Dec 1, 2022

Definitely a statement to oneself: I’ve never had a white gold watch get noticed by anyone else, and of course no one else can feel the heft except the wearer. When I wore a Submariner Date, I had several people comment on it—the main reason I got rid of it. Guessing this one will fly totally under the radar.

18. StudebakerHawk Dec 1, 2022

depending on my location, ill comment on a timepiece..... I was checking into a resort in downtown Nashville, the concierge was sporting a Sea Dweller, I felt I had to comment...

He gave a courtesy "Nice Omega" in return...

19. OmegaOwner2019 Dec 1, 2022

Yes, if you do that to me on the street, my first thought is that you are going to mug me.

20. Annapolis Dec 1, 2022

Right, circumstances matter.

I’ve only just thought of this, but one theory as to how a brand new pm LE Omega with an msrp of $42k ended up getting sold within 10 weeks at a big loss (I mean, I was able to buy it for half price and the reseller must have tuned a profit too): I wonder if the original owner purchased it from the OB (hopefully with some kind of discount) in order to get his hands on a Snoopy or some other hard-to-get Speedy. Then turned around and cut losses as much as possible, figuring he’d have to pay a premium either way—might as well do it in a way that ends with him getting the hot watch from an OB rather than a gray…

But who knows. Just glad someone else took the hit!