Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 20, 2014

Greetings all!
    I just added a "beater" to the collection. It actually looks very presentable. Nice dial (smudge to the left if the signature is on the crystal). Polished (especially back). Lugs on the back look a bit beat up (I included a close up of the worst of them).
    I don't know if the crown is original so if anyone cares to comment, please do. The hands are so bright I presume they're replacements, although I don't know for sure. Not the original bezel (no DON).

It arrived yesterday and is keeping very good time. The serial number puts it 801 away from Neil's Lunar Module Speedy so that should add $1000 to the value ;) (kidding).

All in all I'm pretty pleased. This one will be my strap changer watch. At the moment it's on the brown leather NATO that came with my -66 CB.

You can see by the pics I haven't treated it to the toothpick/dry toothbrush treatment yet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darlinboy and shaun hk like this.
  2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 20, 2014

Oops, bad lug showed up twice. Here's a wristie instead...[​IMG]

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 20, 2014

Interesting dial, narrow T Swiss T and pro label.

i love watches like this, usable and good looking.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 20, 2014

nice pickup!

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 20, 2014

Didn't notice until you pointed it out. Does that suggest the dial may be an old replacement, like 66-67?

6. Georg73 Feb 21, 2014

The first few photos are kinda low quality, and I think that some of the parts might be changed.

7. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 21, 2014

I think the dial is OK. This is my 105.012-65

image.jpg

alam and Time Exposure like this.
  8. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 21, 2014

After doing a quick scan of pics on the net I would suggest that narrow T SWISS MADE T is correct for 105.012-65 and wide T SWISS MADE T is correct for 105.012-66

cheers

9. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Feb 21, 2014

From my observation, most -65 with narrow T and most -66 with wide T, but the contrary was observed a few times.

Darlinboy likes this.
  10. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 22, 2014

"You can see by the pics I haven't treated it to the toothpick/dry toothbrush treatment yet..."

interested to to hear more about this.

Cheers

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 22, 2014

When I am uncertain about the water resistance of an old watch, I loosen the old grime with a wooden toothpick, and brush it with a dry toothbrush.
    If it were a safe queen that looked new old stock (save for the grime), I might perform a more sympathetic cleaning. But I would still keep it dry.

12. Norms Feb 22, 2014

So to clean you just brush essentially with a toothbrush? no other products involved?

13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 22, 2014

Yes.
    First I use a stiff wooden toothpick to loosen the caked-on grime. This is usually between the lugs where they meet the case, and wherever there is a seam like between crystal and bezel, bezel and case, lid and case, etc. Then I brush the same areas with a dry, soft-bristled toothbrush, which is one I have "retired from dental duty." No compounds, no liquid, just dry.
    I have not checked their effects on the surface under magnification, but to my eye it does no damage. Others may chime in with their examination of the results using the same technique (this is sort of a "disclaimer," you know, like "your mileage may vary!").

JohnSteed likes this.
  14. John R Smith Feb 22, 2014

Why not just take the movement out of the case first? Then you can clean the outside and the inside of the case with any solvents or compounds or even soapy water that you wish to use, with no risk to the movement or dial. I am now in the process of working on a 2577 of mine like this, and it is really so much easier with the movement out of harm's way.

15. ulackfocus Feb 22, 2014

That would require basic watch repairing skills that most don't have.

Darlinboy likes this.
  16. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 22, 2014

Because it would cost a fortune to get a new movement, dial, and hands after I did that. ::bleh::

ulackfocus likes this.
  17. JohnSteed Feb 22, 2014

and being retired from general use, even softer, no damage (hopefully) :thumbsup:

18. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 22, 2014

Daughter, age 5.
    Wife, resents time spent on personal interests.
    Need I say more?

19. John R Smith Feb 22, 2014

Reasons enough . . . ;)

20. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 22, 2014

Hah, won't be long and you will be wishing she was five again:)