Forums Latest Members

Incoming: Longines Pattern(?)

1. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 19, 2017

The question mark says it: I'm not sure what it is. Anyone who knows more? This are the best pics I have for the moment. Serial 3.2m so 1916 movement. Case: 42mm. Case is unmarked. Movement: 15.28.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TropicConnie Oct 19, 2017

I've seen an Omega from the same period in a very similar case. The Longines archival department is very responsive and I am sure that you will be able to get some more information if you provide them with the serial number.
    [​IMG]

3. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 19, 2017

Nicked from MWR (and from Knirim):
    [​IMG]

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 19, 2017

All of this warrants extreme caution. I'd be quite worried about some ukrainian magic.
    Several red flags: hands look new, subdial suspicious in several respects...
    Non marked case with a 1916 movement? Those so called "pattern" watches are usually dated circa 1928 IIRC....
    In any event you definitely should query the Longines archives before you pull the trigger.
    And I was going to suggest, post on MWR.
    Several knowledgeable members there about those.
    @LarryG here would know too.
    Best regards, S

5. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Oct 19, 2017

I concur with- and defer to- @Syrte, this one cries Ukraine.

Syrte and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  6. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 5, 2017

So this is what Longines had to say:
    'The original serial number [edited] identifies a wristwatch in metal. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 15.26. It was invoiced on 13 April 1916 to the company Schwob, which was at that time our agent for Russia.'

Anyone a clue whether this confirms my watch?

7. Seiji Nov 5, 2017

Extract doesn't confirm for me the case, dial, or crown were produced by Longines or licenced distributor. Doesn't mean the watch is fake either, just not what I would expect from Longines styling and design of that period.

Edited Nov 5, 2017
    Syrte likes this.
  8. dodo44 Nov 5, 2017

Beyond the dial and crown being completely off, this piece of information is not reassuring. This corresponds to the production period for swivel lug metal/silver Longines with enamel dials sold in Russia. I have 2 that bracket your serial number, invoiced in September 1917 and March 1915, both to Schwob. The movement was most likely born in such an oversize swivel watch.

9. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 5, 2017

OK so the verdict is a Franken with original movement? What to do? Anyone an idea whether the movement might be of interest for somebody?

Syrte likes this.
  10. Seiji Nov 5, 2017

I found picture of correct looking Longines "Avigation" watch from 1911 is what the owner thinks. Yours is really off the mark. Strong evidence yours not likely made by Longines. Model name is interesting Aviation + Navigation = Avigation.

[​IMG]

And the heritage version
    [​IMG]

Edited Nov 5, 2017
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 5, 2017

@Mark020, I’m sorry to say but the extract of archive is not entirely useful. Basically it’s telling you the case is in metal. Is that true?
    But the critical question is, what do the markings say on the inside case back? is it a Longines case ? We need to see a picture to determine that.
    That will be the decisive factor and the extract you have does not say anything about that, it’s only giving you the date of
    the movement.

12. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 6, 2017

Case is non marked...

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 6, 2017

Not even numbers marked?
    If none it doesn’t seem like good news, but again hard to say without a picture.

The most definite assessment would require sending to Saint-Imier for a certificate of authenticity.

Is the watch not returnable, did you get any guarantees of any sort?

Edited Nov 6, 2017
  14. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 7, 2017

No numbers. I asked the seller for a refund. Just found out that he is a watchmaker so I assume he knew what he was selling...

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 8, 2017

Definitely the best option.

16. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 9, 2017

No luck so far.

17. Seiji Nov 9, 2017

I'm having difficulties finding a photo of the "Czech Army" we'll call it Avigation watch. Apparently, one is in the Longines Museum and I expect it will look like the one I posted, which looks like it is a photo from maybe a private collection. I have seen correspondence from Longines about the Czech Army watch. Unfortunately, all the images seem to be in Photobucket so all the links I tried tracing down end up with Photobucket ransomeware image so no one can see what they look like. Another keyword that seems to help is "Czech Army Big Crown" that is what the heritage museum was calling it in their email responses. No matter how much I think I know something about a watch, there's a legit watch out there that will prove me wrong. The one thing I have learned is that the watch ordered for the Czech Army seems to be a rarely seen beast. I have yet to uncover if there is anything to do with the so called German 1928 Pattern watches, which I don't think anyone has shown documentation that such a spec existed.

Your watch does seem to not be consistent with information we have found so far. Hopefully you can get a refund. I think it will be very difficult to put together the information to understand how much of the watch is genuine. I've been looking at a few Eastern Block Longines and can't seem to find definitive information.

The converse of this though is that in my personal experience, I've come across several watches that I was able to successfully prove the prevailing understandings for those watches was wrong after months of personal research and making lots of contacts. It the watch looks untampered to you, you might serious consider doing some tracing back of a watch. Finding a better tested theory can be very satisfying. (ie. Elgin Canteen, Auricoste 1980 13e RDP, Longines Seikosha Suirobu, working on Longines C.O.S.D. to name a few)

Edited Nov 9, 2017
  18. dodo44 Nov 9, 2017

Ask Longines if they have any mention about the color of the dial and the case type (was the movement issued with a white enamel dial and does the metal case have swivel lugs)?

19. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 19, 2017

No they did not

20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 19, 2017

Matt Hanson aka Vintagelongines on Instagram has seen some of the museum’s more rare watches and wrote about some of them so maybe he has pictures of that Czech flieger?