Forums Latest Members

Incoming King Seiko 4502

1. ossfm May 21, 2017

As I consider OF to be my home forum, I wanted to let you guys and gals see the latest incoming. I finally let some money out and bought a vintage King Seiko 4502. I've wanted one of these for more than a year now. I started a serious search several months ago. I looked at a lot of examples since then; I even came close to buying some. I tried to keep in mind the advice everyone here preaches: "There will always be another one" and "Buy the best one you can afford". I think I was finally able to do that.

I saw this one on ebay several weeks ago. It was a 28-day listing, which was nice in that it gave me time to look into some things. The only real concern I had was the medallion. I thought it might not be original. I asked over on SCWF and some people thought it was ok.

There are three things I love about this model. First, I love case shape. The way the lugs come straight from the midline of watch and form a point at the spring bar hole and then return straight back to the case. The Rolex Datejust does the same thing. That is why I had to have the Tudor model I got last year. The zaratsu-style polishing from the Grammar of Design is really cool too. Second, I love the true high beat 36000bph movement. The second-hand sweep is super smooth. Third is the caseback medallion. Decorated casebacks are really cool too. That's one of the things that drew me to the Constellation.

There's an added bonus that I entered the world in June and this one entered in July of the same year. That means I have 2 birth year watches now!

Anyway, as best as I can tell, the case appears to be untouched. The edges are very well defined and not soft. The caseback engraving is nice and well defined. The dial is pristine with none of the degradation commonly seen next to the rehaut. The last thing that is great about it is the double applied logo, "SEIKO" and "KS".

I wound it up Friday to check it and wore it on Saturday. Man it was nice. It's still hard to believe it is here. I have to send it off for a service and that makes me a a little sad because I will be without it for a while. I just want to wear it!

Alright, here are the pics (otherwise it wouldn't be a real thread):

Straight from Japan
    IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

Mmmmm, double applied logos...
    IMG_0830.JPG

Cool refraction in the bevel on the crystal
    IMG_0832.JPG

SOG53, Tuna Cowboy, No.15 and 12 others like this.
  2. timjohn May 21, 2017

Excellent call: the 45 series beat all comers at the last Neufchatel Chronometer Competition. You won't regret it
    I have it's evil cousin.
    King Seiko 4502-7000 crop.jpeg

citizenrich, Jwit, George.A and 3 others like this.
  3. micampe May 21, 2017

Lovely, congratulations! Agree, the case is fantastic. The movements are nicely finished too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ossfm May 22, 2017

Hi @timjohn, didn't Seiko get banned from the competition for some odd reason, but really because they performed so well? I'm expecting good things when it gets back from service! My wife dropped it off today. You have a nice one there. I thought the white dial would be a good addition to the collection. I already have 4 dark dial watches. Plus, many of the black ones I crossed on the bay were admitted redials so I just gave up on them. I wasn't sure how to tell the original ones.

Hi @micampe, your case is very clean. Many of them have rust or corrosion around the seals. Maybe it has to do with living on an island (Japan)... ;) I asked them to provide movement pictures during the service. We'll see what they provide.

I notice both of you have yours on a black strap with dark stitching. I was thinking the same thing but with white stitching, or maybe a dark brown with dark stitching. The black feels a little more formal whereas the dark brown might be more casual. I was also thinking of a bracelet. I've seen some 18mm Seiko BOR bracelets. I wonder if the endlinks would fit the KS. What do you guys think?

I saw this strap on @tyrantlizardrex's Time4aPint Ep.8 webpage and really fell for that one! MMMmmm, that strap on a white dial KS could be the shizzle. It would look nicely vintage. Anyway, there's time to mull it over while service is completed.

[​IMG]

timjohn, Jwit and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. micampe May 22, 2017

For some reason these to me call immediately for a black strap, I actually changed it to a matte black croc now instead of that cordovan, which makes it a little sportier. The brown strap would indeed make it even less formal. The bracelet sounds interesting, I never thought about it but please keep us posted if you find info, maybe I'll give it a try too.

Nathan1967 and ossfm like this.
  6. timjohn May 22, 2017

As far as I can work out, they shut down the whole competition to avoid the shame of being beaten hands down by the Japanese. Admittedly it was the dawn of the quartz age, and chronometer competitions were becoming less relevant.

I've got a shell cordovan strap @jankoxxx made for me: the KS buckles are 15 mm and most straps on the open market are 18/16.

ossfm likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex May 23, 2017

Nice Seiko!

The strap that @watchesrecordspb had custom made for his Tri-Compax moonphase is gorgeous, but I think you need to meet Mia face to face to be fitted/order/buy one.

http://www.sabelsaddlery.co.uk/watch.html

ossfm likes this.
  8. ossfm May 24, 2017

I remember that discussion now. It would be pretty cool to have a strap with one hole in it. I'll have to look around my neck of the woods for a custom leather workshop.

15mm is quite thin. I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. It would be cool to have one though.
    I need to read more about these competitions. There's good history there.

If I find a bracelet, I'll post back here.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. Humptymarsbar May 26, 2017

Can you show the medallions please, I think they are cool?
    Here's mine from a humble 5625.
    4WS5625-190056_zpse6e8a048.jpg

Jwit and ossfm like this.
  10. ossfm May 27, 2017

@Humptymarsbar the watch is off at service right now. I didn't take a picture of the medallion before it left. I'll post it when it comes back.

11. BillLundberg May 27, 2017

Congratulations man! KS has been in radar for while now, but I had to get my grail first. Now I'm saving again, hoping to purchase a vintage Seamaster, GS or KS , time will tell.

Best regards,

ossfm likes this.
  12. ossfm Sep 18, 2017

Here is a small update. I've ordered a black shell cordovan strap from @jankoxxx . It's in the mail now and boy am I ready to get it! The current bracelet is way too big. I've only worn the watch for a few days since I got it in June. That's way too long to have to wait! We're going on a cruise in October. I'm thinking this will be the dress watch. Heck, it could be the one watch for the whole trip. I see the KS as being versatile that way.

I went with a black strap and black stitching. I think it is going to look great. Here is a picture of the strap just before shipping.

thumbnail.jpeg

Nathan1967 and Jwit like this.
  13. tritto Sep 19, 2017

Congratulations Ossfm. I have a nice gold capped Grand Seiko from '69. Gold on gold would not be my first choice, but it popped up at a price I couldn't resist and it's cleaned up well.
    IMG_6800.JPG
    IMG_6812.JPG

Jwit, Humptymarsbar and ossfm like this.
  14. ossfm Sep 26, 2017

Here he is finally, the King on the cordovan strap. I think it looks really nice. Edit: I ended up ordering it from @jankoxxx. Wow is it soft!

I said I would post some pictures of what I think is an original bracelet. I've found a few pictures here and there. I'll have to round them up again. None of them were for sale at the time. Of course, the links are sharp so as to carry along the Grammar of Design.

I'm wondering if a mesh would look ok. It wouldn't be sharp but it might work out.

IMG_1152.JPG

@Humptymarsbar the medallion shot is for you :).
    IMG_1156.JPG

The furniture and the 2 applied logos show up good when viewed from the edge.
    IMG_1160.JPG

That gold one certainly did clean up nice. Well done.

15. Humptymarsbar Sep 28, 2017

That's one sweet watch, with perfect medallion. Thanks for posting.
    I'll be on the look out for a nice example like this ,or GS, when funds permit!:)

16. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Sep 28, 2017

hope I can get KS again

17. MGoBrew Oct 18, 2017

Big fan of GS in general (I have a few new and old) but that 45KS Hi-Beat...amazing watch with the beautiful case. I might have a Seiko addiction.

18. Nathan1967 Oct 19, 2017

19. Manny1979 Jan 11, 2023

Is the black dial version common on the 45k series?

20. timjohn Jan 11, 2023

I've heard from people who know more than me that it may not be original, but I don't know. If it is a made-up dial, it's a good one