Incoming: It's been a long, long time coming...a 2914 PAF story.

Background:

Deep within the caverns of my mind, a quest was born years ago, a quest for a horological unicorn, a watch that would one day consume all my thoughts. The journey began with the cryptic breadcrumb of a 2015 Hodinkee "Bring a Loupe" article. The tantalizing piece suggested that somewhere out there, in the wild, existed an Omega 2914, a Railmaster in its essence, yet adorned with a Seamaster dial and engraved with the enigmatic initials "P.A.F." on its caseback. Not only did the caseback bear these cryptic initials, but, in an astonishing and rare act of what I consider collaborative co-creation, the very heart of the watch, its movement, too, carried the same trifecta of letters. This was no ordinary timepiece; this was a watch issued to the Pakistan Airforce in the year 1960.

My mind was well and truly blown.

As per lore, these specially assembled watches were issued to the Pakistan Airforce with a Seamaster dial, owing to the negative connotations associated with the word "Rail," and in 2017, I officially started looking for one. There were a few offered at auctions for the next couple of years, but I was neither a competent/confident bidder nor willing to spend anywhere near where those bids usually ended.

The Watch:

The trick with these watches was to know what you were getting into. They had to be within a very, very precise serial range. As per the definitive Omega bible "A Journey through Time," (authored by a past Omega Museum curator) exactly 277 of these were made for the Airforces in a consecutive serial range. The Seamaster font on the dial had a "coat-hanger S" and a "dropping r". The radium lume was applied in recessed wells or slits in the dial, not on the surface, and many other considerations such as the existence of an Extract from the Omega archive to validate that the watch (or at least the movement) was commissioned for military use.

The find:

Over time, my spending limits increased, aided in no small part by a 2-year long hunt, and I found myself conversing, purely by chance, with forum member @oddboy. We shared a common appreciation for the watch and I was initially led to him by reading other threads about his quests in acquiring one. To my surprise and utter delight, he had one in possession and was willing to part with it. I was "in talks" with him for many months, partially because he wasn't pushing to sell and I wasn't rushing to buy (since I still needed to shore up the necessary funds) but also because I asked for time to "validate" it. No effort was spared and I spoke to many knowledgeable people, including prominent forum members (@gemini4, @michael e) but especially the always approachable @watchyouwant who via additional pictures and questions, carefully deconstructed every important element of the watch to validate it. Once he was satisfied, I knew this was the one to get.

Oddboy and I agreed on a fair price, shook virtual hands and I gave him an approximate time period for how long I would need to sell a few more pieces and collect funds before I made the purchase. We even talked about me potentially flying out to meet him at his home base, but for various reasons, this never worked out (damn you COVID). What exacerbated the situation was that I made other purchases (like my Ed White) during this period, because well, winning an auction is never something you can plan. Soon enough, our sporadic conversations slowed down, I got distracted by other pursuits (and watches) and oddboy stopped responding (I suspected probably because he thought I wasn't serious anymore).

Time is a funny thing. It has a certain way of forcing thoughts that are at the back of your mind to the fore, pushing you to accept that things are either changing too fast or not changing at all, thereby coercing you to act. And so, after over a year of no correspondence, earlier this month, on the eve of my 44th birthday, I messaged him again asking him if we could go ahead with where we left off.

He replied literally within a minute,

A week later, as the world watched, commented, and ridiculed (or praised) the latest topical Swatch release, I tracked the movements of Flight FX8 from Memphis to Dubai (habits of an aviation enthusiast).

FedEx flight.jpeg

A couple of days later, it was finally on my wrist.

BC0BF189-5C66-42EB-8577-9FFD0360DE86.JPG

D3921D24-2538-4277-9426-6C564E4E770C.JPG

10EF7F16-5719-4334-BD4D-BF6E280B0967.JPG

In watch collecting, I feel there are distinctly two types of watches that draw you in - those that are highly collectible and those that are relatable. But in the rare situation where the two intersect you have a strange, indescribable epiphany like calling to possess it. And that’s what I felt about the Omega 2914 PAF's.

They have forever been considered the forgotten reference, the silent sentinel that valiantly stood between the Speedmaster, which received all the press, and the Seamaster, which positioned itself as the rival to the Submariner. Few (outside a niche circle such as the one here) spoke about or cared for the Railmaster. When a country of limited (read, none) horological significance issued this watch for use by its airforce personnel, fewer still noticed. But to me, it's a very special piece, more special than any watch has ever been or will be, and that is what makes this quest and acquisition so personal and fulfilling in ways that few will ever be.

(P.S. If you've come this far, and read so much, I want to reward you with a few more pictures of a watch that I also think is a wonderful strap magnet in its own right).

IMG_9466.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg
Edited:

Congrats man! Really happy you finally reached that goal!
On to the next now! 😁

Edit : incredible watch btw! 😉
Edited:

What a great read and beautiful watch. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Great watch. Good story. You travelled to pick up watch? It was delivered to you?
Oh I just resized FedEx is from Memphis…..
Congrats wear in good health!!!

I get bored by "how much is it worth" posts.

And then something like this comes along. What a pleasure to be immersed in an absorbing story and look (somewhat with envy) at a premium collector example.

Thanks @fizz.

Very nice, congratulations, I remember those articles from 2015-- and a good example to those people who gloat about having found a “rare” watch after a 6 months search.

Gorgeous watch, and great writing/reading. Congratulation and wear it in good health.

Thank you everyone. It wouldn't have happened if it weren't for this place.

Great. It worked ! Selling all Non PAF watches now ?

Haha...not really. I have 3 PAF's (I'll write about the other 2 when I get the time) that I've also acquired over the last couple of years.

What I sold were mostly watches that I fell out of love with. I don't regret parting with any of those and most of them, if I still wanted to, can still be bought back. That's what makes this so different (and difficult). It isn't easy to find and when it is found, it isn't easy to get everything right.

Congratulations man! And especially so on another excellent example 😀

Eloquently and entertainingly written! Congratulations on you marvelous new time piece!

Hi everyone!

Who doesn't like a little thread resurrection once in a while, huh? Especially one with such a great watch!

Since this watch lived in my watch box for a while, I thought I'd add a little more to the story.

in 2018, my desire for a broad arrow railmaster had reached the point where I had to take action. I found this watch listed for sale with some not so great pics, mostly because of the fluorescent lighting used to take them. BUT, the watch was in Canada! Woot! No Import Tax!

I got in touch with the seller and started chatting - not only about this watch, but watches in general. I went through my checklist - movement number, extract, lots and lots (and LOTS) of pics. We did a video call so he could show me how the lume reacted under UV, and everything was looking good.... until we got to my request for the Geiger count readings...

The seller didn't have a Geiger counter, so we were at a decision point. Take the risk or walk away... ORRRR... I hit Amazon and ordered one and had it sent to his place of business - the same model I had at home. We did another video call and watched the numbers climb - and boy did they climb! last check on the list checked!

Since the watch was in Canada, I decided to collect it in person. my brother lives out on the west coast, so this was a good change to drop in on him for a visit, and a free place to crash.

I met the seller in Vancouver. He had reserved a small boardroom in one of the big hotels downtown which had a lovely view of the ocean and the mountains. We had tea, talked watches, checked out each other's choices for the day (he had a gorgeous Tudor sub and I had on a vintage speedy of course). After that, he took me on a walking tour of watch spots around town. We stopped by the Omega boutique as well as a couple of vintage watch shops. All in all, it was a fantastic day, and I left with my new acquisition on the wrist.

This watch was a milestone of sorts for me. It completed my Trilogy quest, which I shared in my "Holy Trinity (sort of)" post.

But change is inevitable. I had no intention of selling when @fizz first got in touch. We talked a while about watches and his hunt for a PAF, and after a bit of time, I came to realise that Fizz could offer this watch more than I could... like more heartfelt appreciation. Don't get me wrong, I loved the watch. It's a beautiful watch with such great wear and patina. Just gorgeous! But it didn't get the wrist time it deserved.

and the rest is ...very well described in the opening post of this thread!

@fizz, it was a real pleasure getting to know you. I had pretty much assumed that you'd moved on when we stopped talking, but I'm glad the story ended well for both of us - and the watch!

Enjoy the hell out of that beautiful piece - I sure did!

20180510_143301.jpg
Edited:

Change indeed is inevitable and in the past 6 months plus of ownership my appreciation of this model, and especially its true and charming condition has only grown. It has fascinated not just me, for its history and what it represents, but also many other collectors, especially the non-vintage kind, that I've met and interacted with since. It is a true conversation piece in my book, especially for those that are informed or curious.

As I said I am thoroughly enjoying the watch and hopefully will continue to do so for many, many years. A true keeper (unless one day a NOS specimen appears mysteriously and magically at one of the known auction houses!).

Till then, here's a little pic to prove how good it looks on a flat link bracelet as well (this one is an Uncle Seiko with Omega clasp, which fits and suits it perfectly!).

IMG_1908.jpg

Change indeed is inevitable and in the past 6 months plus of ownership my appreciation of this model, and especially its true and charming condition has only grown. It has fascinated not just me, for its history and what it represents, but also many other collectors, especially the non-vintage kind, that I've met and interacted with since. It is a true conversation piece in my book, especially for those that are informed or curious.

As I said I am thoroughly enjoying the watch and hopefully will continue to do so for many, many years. A true keeper (unless one day a NOS specimen appears mysteriously and magically at one of the known auction houses!).

Till then, here's a little pic to prove how good it looks on a flat link bracelet as well (this one is an Uncle Seiko with Omega clasp, which fits and suits it perfectly!).

IMG_1908.jpg

Yes. That picture makes you forget any Rolex . Period.